Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Woody:Bad to worse

TK

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031771897126&path=%21sports%21redskins&s=1045855935462

Bad to worse

Bye week doesn't offer relief as Redskins' slide continues with fourth consecutive loss

BY PAUL WOODY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Monday, November 3, 2003

IRVING, Texas - Opportunity knocked for the Washington Redskins.

The odd thing, though, was that the Dallas Cowboys answered.

The Cowboys overcame four first-half turnovers and used a relentless blitzing defense to stymie the Redskins and claim a 21-14 victory yesterday.

Considering all the chances the Redskins (3-5) had early in the game, the contest was not as close as the final score indicated.

"The first part of the game was a complete nightmare," said Cowboys coach Bill Parcells. "We made enough mistakes for two or three games. Penalties, fumbles, dropped balls - it was a tough start. We were in a benevolent mode. But we hung in there."

The Cowboys lost the ball on their first three possessions. The Redskins intercepted two Quincy Carter passes and forced and recovered a fumble by running back Troy Hambrick.

For all those chances, Washington managed to score one touchdown. And the extra-point attempt after that score was blocked.

"The defense played well, and they created turnovers for us," said Redskins offensive tackle Chris Samuels. "We just couldn't capitalize on them."

The Redskins felt they were ready to capitalize on just about everything coming into the game. They were coming off a bye week, which gave them time to rest and extra time to prepare for the Cowboys (6-2).

Instead, it was more of the same. The Redskins committed eight penalties, and several others were declined. Patrick Ramsey was sacked four times and absorbed punishing hits on a number of other pass attempts. He left the game twice, once with a bruised left forearm late in the second quarter and with a dislocated little finger on his left hand late in the fourth quarter. He returned both times.

For Ramsey and the entire offense, it was another futile outing. They converted just 1 of 11 third-down plays.

"We'll have to watch the film and see what's going on," said wide receiver Rod Gardner, who caught just one pass yesterday. "I don't have a clue."

The Redskins (3-5) don't seem to have much of a clue for beating the Cowboys, either. This was their 11th loss to Dallas in the past 12 games and their fourth straight setback this season.

"I expected us to perform better than we did," Ramsey said. "I'm not going to call out any guys, but we could have played better. It is just frustrating to take the beatings week after week. All of us are just frustrated.

"I can tell you what they're doing to stop us. They keep blitzing, and we have to stop them."

The Cowboys blitzed linebackers and defensive backs. They were not afraid to match up man-to-man on the Redskins' wide receivers so they could send more players after Ramsey than the Redskins had blockers to stop.

"It's been a while since we played this well as a defense," said Dallas safety Darren Woodson.

After the first quarter, the Cowboys' offense didn't play too badly, either. Dallas amassed 400 yards in offense, but its most impressive accomplishment was its 10-of-16 third-down conversion rate.

Ramsey did manage to complete 16 of 30 passes for 142 yards, but the 43 yards he lost in sacks dropped his net passing total to 99 yards. At one point in the third quarter, the Redskins had a net of minus-11 yards passing.

"We tried to block them and throw the ball downfield, but we just were not able to make it happen," Ramsey said.

The game also left Redskins defensive tackle Bruce Smith steaming for reasons in addition to the loss. Smith did not start at right defensive end. He was supplanted in the lineup by Regan Upshaw, and it was the first time Smith has not started an NFL game since 1986.

"That was Steve Spurrier's decision," Smith said of not starting. "He felt he wanted a change. His exact words were 'I want to try something new.'

"I think there are some experts out there who will think my place is on the field. I think my place is on the field. . . . Words can't explain this."

The Cowboys felt that way in the first quarter yesterday. The Redskins are beginning to feel that way about this season.

I wish they'd cut Smith tomorrow. What a team player. You do what your coach tells you to do and you keep you mouth shut. Thats prime directive #1 and he can't even do that. He's got one thing on his mind and one thing only, the sack record and numero uno.

I am tired of Bruce. Yeah he's there and he may be trying hard, but he's old and can't put pressure on opposing defenses anymore. He's toast.

This quote I think sums up the kinds of problem's SOS is dealing with. Egotistical players and Owners.

Archived