Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The kid in me wants another ride

scottb

I have been a Redskin fan for over 35 years and it's been an interesting rollercoaster ride for<br />a fan suffering from NFL vertigo. I boarded the car at the Sonny platform and I enjoyed the<br />team despite the downhill drubbings and poor season records. Passing the Lombardi bump<br />gave me a glimpse of what success could be, but it wasn't until the Allen curves did I realize<br />what fun it was to be a fan in the car. After a few loops, I crested Gibb's hill where you could<br />touch the trophies in the sky and look the specks below purporting to be contenders. But the<br />laws of gravity had to be obeyed, and I spiraled down through a Norv's tunnel where I suffered<br />in the dark until emerging at the Marty exit. I debarked there, briefly, to recover from the<br />nausea wrought from the last Dallas loss. However, before leaving the park, I noticed that<br />management retooled the ride with exciting Spurrier track, and there was even talk of adding<br />Lewis loops. So I'm going on the ride again, but to protect my damaged heart, I've decided to<br />discard my expectations of thrill and just enjoy the wind against my face.

As long as the personalities of Spurrier and Lewis mesh, something you can never really be assured of until you see it happen, there is no question that the Redskins have upgraded their sideline presence in the offseason.<br /><br />The Redskins offense was a disgrace in 2001. It reminded me of Einstein's statement that the 'next world war will be fought with sticks and stones'.<br /><br />On defense the Redskins were better in some respects from 2000, largely owing to the development of LaVar Arrington and the addition of Fred Smoot.<br /><br />But the schemes the team used in their secondary coverages and in putting pressure on the quarterback were ones that you could question based on the personnel we had. Certainly, most DC's would have used more blitzes given the difficulty the front four had in getting into the backfield.<br /><br />Kurt Schottenheimer's defense was not very aggressive in getting after opposing quarterbacks. And it showed in the paucity of sacks and hurries this past season. The sack total was as low as I have ever seen here.<br /><br />Champ Bailey and Darrell Green were perhaps not as effective as they could have been playing off receivers and using zones more frequently than in the past.<br /><br />Altogether, there was a lot of room for improvement on both sides of the ball in terms of theory and practice.<br /><br />Hopefully with the new brain trust we won't see the constant penalties for procedure, the wasted timeouts, the 12 man calls on defense, the holding on critical third down conversions.

For the record... the Ravens totalled 45 sacks on defense last year: <a href="http://www.nfl.com/stats/2001/BAL.html" target="_blank">http://www.nfl.com/stats/2001/BAL.html</a><br /><br />Steelers - 55<br />Saints - 53<br />Packers - 52<br />Bears - 48<br />Bengals - 48<br />Rams - 47<br />Giants - 46<br />Ravens - 45 <br />Eagles - 45<br />Browns - 43<br />Jaguars - 43<br />Bucs - 42<br />Chargers - 41<br />Raiders - 41<br />Colts - 40<br />Patriots - 40<br />Broncos - 39<br />Seahawks - 38<br />Dolphins - 37<br />Falcons - 37<br />Bill - 34<br />Jets - 33<br />49ers - 32<br />Titans - 32<br />Lions - 31<br />Chiefs - 31<br />Vikings - 30<br />Panthers - 26<br />Redskins - 25<br />Cowboys - 24<br />Cards - 19<br /> <br /> <small>[ February 11, 2002, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Die Hard ]</small>

<a href="http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/redskins/" target="_blank">http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/redskins/</a><br /><br />Redskins Team Report<br />By Paul Woody/Richmond Times-Dispatch <br />February 10, 2002<br /><br />"Lewis will find much to his liking in Washington. In Baltimore, he ran a gap-control, pressure defense that featured plenty of man coverage. That system is similar to the one the Redskins used in 2001."

The Norv part of the ride was thru the house of horrors.<br /><br />When the Vikes have more sacks than us we definately need to address that area.<br /><br />We get a big body like Sam Adams to pair with Big Daddy to help collapse the pocket in the middle and the Ends will face more one on one matchups which should result in higher sacks even when we bring one guy on the blitz.

Archived