Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking to our Past: What 2 Famous Skins would you want blocking in front of you?

Veretax

Jim Lachey ....

I can still remember one game against the Raiders (late '80's) when Mark Rypien threw an INT and Lachey absolutely hammered the guy who intercepted it.  When he came to his partial senses (and onto some very wobbly feet) after being down on the ground for several minutes, the player had a dazed and confused look on his face which would have immediately triggered the concussion rule (had there been one back then).

I remembered this play as I was posting above and almost posted the same.

Only, he injured his shoulder on that play IIRC.

And I believe was never the same after that.  I have long felt that was the turning point of his career. 

Yeah I thought about Bostic being in that list too, and I think our OL can do better, but I felt a lot of the problems were due to bad TE/Back backing when extra guys were coming.

I seem to recall a game in Philly where our big bag fumbled and the eagles were running it back for what looked like 6 and somehow we stripped the ball back. I don't recall who that was.

Jim Lachey at LT and Joe Jacoby at LG, followed very closely by Russ Grimm.

We came close to setting a (then) NFL record (maybe we broke it, I don't remember) of the least QB sacks allowed the year the Redskins won their last Super Bowl (1991) (I think we were in single-digit numbers going into the last game of the regular season against Philly), with Lachey and Jacoby on the left side.

I can still remember one game against the Raiders (late '80's) when Mark Rypien threw an INT and Lachey absolutely hammered the guy who intercepted it.  When he came to his partial senses (and onto some very wobbly feet) after being down on the ground for several minutes, the player had a dazed and confused look on his face which would have immediately triggered the concussion rule (had there been one back then).

Actually, that was the plan but it didn't work out that way.  Ed Simmons our starting RT went down in the second week of the season against Dallas forcing Jacoby back to RT

I remembered this play as I was posting above and almost posted the same.

Only, he injured his shoulder on that play IIRC.

And I believe was never the same after that.  I have long felt that was the turning point of his career. 

really?  As good as he was in 90 and 91?

really?  As good as he was in 90 and 91?

I can certainly be mistaken in events/ dates.

But I seem to remember he was injury prone after destroying that Raider on the return. I see he had a 10 year career but 1 was missed to a knee, so he played 9 seasons. 131 games played. Did the knee shorten his career? 

Yeah, bunch of weekend athletes talking about who they want "leading them around the edge."  Let's me inject a dose of realism here, which involves that fact that a lot of scary, mean men on the other team want to hurt me badly.  I'm a righty, I want whoever the best LT and LG are that we've ever had in the history of our team, so that I have at least three seconds to receive a snap from shotgun, not get blindsided, and do one of three things, assuming I actually catch the snap before I've thrown up or passed out.

1. Handoff, then turtle

2. Shriek like a baby and attempt to throw a pass to the RB out in the flat, quickly, then turtle.

3. Throw a bubble screen, again to the right, I have no interest in wasting time actually scanning all fields.

4. Throw it out of bounds, quickly.  Screw that whole getting out of the pocket thing, that takes too long.  Let me tell you what problem RG3 has that I wouldn't.  Holding onto the ball.

Archived