Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Advanced stats and our QBs, 2014 edition

Tsailand

RG3 is failing based on the scheme and play calling, not because he can't play......Brady and Manning would struggle in an offense that forced them to move.   

I would also rather have a QB who takes sacks; then a QB who's a turnover machine like Cousins

I'd rather have a QB who has the mechanics down and only has to work on his decision making regarding INT's vs. a QB who has too many issues ie; footwork, drop step, decision making, pocket comfort, and INT's- RG3's INT's were just as bad when he returned. 

In other words I'd rather have a QB that only needs to work on one thing vs. a QB that has numerous issues to work on and his pocket presence is gunna need reps, reps, reps to get his internal clock right and pocket comfort. 

Also Cousins moved the ball better. Cousins had 10 passing TD's, RG3 had 4 and 1 rushing TD. I'll take Cousins. Also to note:  Cousins only has 14 games played, RG3 has 37 games played. RG3 should be a ton farther in his development then he is right now. Cousins out played him only having played 14 games. INT's? I could mention RG3's sacks/fumbles. RG3....32 fumbles total. Cousins...6 total. 

Personally I see Cousins INT's equal to RG3's fumbles. As I told a friend today.... people think Gruden benched Cousins cause he was upset and it was learned Cousins had an injury that sidelined him. Why is Cousins working with Jon Gruden in Florida and not RG3? Why aren't both working with Jon? I think it's cause Jay wants Jon to get Cousins ready for the next season and his decision making. 

Cousins looks like he wants to cry after he throws an INT....that's a bigger problem then the INT itself

Ha ha!  You are so right, that is the bigger issue. He certainly does look like he is about to cry.  I've never seen such a sensitive QB in all my years of watching the NFL.  Last season I was constantly yelling at him through the TV to suck it up and move on.  He would just look so deflated and defeated...sensitive little fella, poor guy he just needs a good hugging from Jay.

Here's an easy thing to take into account.

Our offense was top 5 with Cousins. Yes turnovers were killer but our run game wasn't even clicking during that time.

We had a young qb with just a few games under his belt slinging it around constantly and very little run game to lean on.

We wonder why he tossed picks? He was pressed by a godawful D and no run game to lean on to carry a bad team.

Here's an easy thing to take into account.

Our offense was top 5 with Cousins. Yes turnovers were killer but our run game wasn't even clicking during that time.

We had a young qb with just a few games under his belt slinging it around constantly and very little run game to lean on.

We wonder why he tossed picks? He was pressed by a godawful D and no run game to lean on to carry a bad team.

Some of those INTS was really god awful. But that can be good thing if he learns from his mistakes.

Kirk will win the starting job. I feel more confident when he is playing. Kirk got us down the field quicker and more often. RG3 might be #1, but not for long.

I appreciate advanced stats as much as anybody. In my experience with the Nets, I asked the coaches, and scouts (at least in the NBA) and they would say that advanced metrics should only be used as a secondary tool, with the eye test still being the primary. Stats are often misleading and can distract you from what you are watching. Now for football I would say that advanced stats are even less efficient than basketball, do the team nature of the sport. In basketball and baseball you can calculate how much each player brings to his position in direct comparison to his peers. While football the play call, the defensive play call(in regards to qb), the players around you, the game situation, all play a major factor. 

IMO When evaluating the qbs on this team, it will be more beneficial not to get to hung up on the stats. Anybody can manipulate stats for a football game to argue favor of one player over the other. I.E. well in the fourth quarter he did this or in garbage time he puts up this. When evaluating these qbs on the team, the best test is the eye test. In my opinion we still have two good young QBs who would be an upgrade for about 15 teams truthfully. They have major flaws, but the potential is high for both Kirk and RG3. I am not drinking the kool aid or delusional or smoking either. I just think that when watching them execute certain passes, I catch myself thinking not many people could have made that play. What both of them need is consistency in the same system, more reps, and more confidence, oh and of course more time after the snap. 

I could see both Kirk and RG3 benefiting from trading one away and letting them focus on the job without the added pressure of another young guy splitting your reps. Surround them with a Vet QB to lean on, and a solid offensive system and they both will excel. The better passer in my opinion right now is still RG3, but I am still very high on Kirk and currently he is a much better system fit. 

Archived