Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vikings Steal One From Redskins, 29-26

Manchild- Keenan helped the RB up last game... I don't remember which one it was, but I remember thinking I liked the gesture, I'll never frown on good sportsmanship. As for laughing after a season-ending loss, that's beyond disappointing.

Manchild- Keenan helped the RB up last game... I don't remember which one it was, but I remember thinking I liked the gesture, I'll never frown on good sportsmanship. As for laughing after a season-ending loss, that's beyond disappointing.

Yeah, I get it, we all have different shades of what is acceptable. I find it's acceptable and good sportsmanship after a tackle to leave him lying there and don't step on his hand or knee..heheh.

Oh yeah, that's when Keenan sacked Bridgewater, he nearly killed the kid and I don't thing Teddy was quite ready to get up yet. I think we all though a flag was coming out for hitting late...even Keenan did, I believe that's why he helped him up.

. One more comment, RG3 is by no means the future of this team.

I was with you until this statement.I appearently am in the minority (interesting word here) in my opinion that RGIII can be a very good QB and so far this year when he has played, he played pretty well.

1st game - 25 - 30 for 78% comp%!   He did what the coaches both th sideline ones and the blog ones, said to do and took what th D was giving him. Houston has a pretty good D. He had 0 TOs (you can blame him for the fumble if you want, but he was tripped by his own player! STs gave up a return TD, and Niles Paul plian dropped the ball after a big gain..  

Against Jacksonville, he was playing very well. I was at the game so you can;t tell me otherwise. I saw it with  my own eyes. Should have been 3-3 for almost 100 yds but for an idiot ref, DJax had the catch. Also he was running well.

This last game - the Off put up 26 pts! We scored on 5 of 10 possessions - he had just 1 pick, and really that was not a pick. the Refs missed that one poorly. But it still counted. We were up 10-0. But our D could not get a stop in the 2nd half. RGIII line - 18 - 28 for 64% comp - 250 yds - 1/1 TD/Int and a 90 passer rating! The def cannot stop anything in the second half. Gives a rookie 4 TDs in 5 possessions.

Yet this is somehow all RGIIIs fault.   How it is McCoy can only muster 17 regulation pts against a bad dalalst team where RGIII puts up 26 against the vikes and since we lost it's all his fault and he is a loser and will never be a good QB and on and on. Was he perfect? Not at all. But he playe well enoug to win.

With all due respect we need to be more fair and realistic.

Someone asked why do we always seem to be in rebuilding mode. For what it's worth, here are my thoughts:

1. We change coaches way too often. Several coaches, good or bad have not had enough time to get their systems in place. Marty S., Jim Zorn (I know it looked bad but he only had 2 yrs). Some needed to go, Coach Spurrier, probably J Zorn.

2. Since we don;t let anyone get settled we never get over the hump. We do the evaluation part, then get rid of a bunch of players, start getting the right players in and then the person gets fired.

3. This is my biggest complaint - Our scouting team for all it's accolades from different people do not do a very good job. For every diamond, they miss 4 picks that should be locks. Some of that is luck .We have guys making the team, but are not studs. You need to get lucky sometimes.

4. Trading 3 1st and a 2nd for a 1st back to pick RGIII. I love the guy., I hope he turns into a stud once everything settles down. I think if snyder can keep his hatchet in his pocket and let Gruden stay, RGIII and the Off will be off the charts next year (If they invest heavily in the Off line.)

5. The bogus $38M penalty. People can say that's BS all they want, but it really hurt our depth, not to mention 2 or 3  key starters. All we did this year ws get back to not too far behind! The next two years will be key.

6. Our assistants under any coach except Joe Gibbs cannot seem to develop talent. I have thought Rak was mediocre for a while now and have been very vocal. But I don't think he is entirely to blame. For some reason (we will never know for sure) either he is refusing training, or they are not doing a good job training and improving. Since it's a common theme across the team I blame the assistants and the coaches.

7. We need a younger, more current GM. I like BA OK. He is a  cap wizard. What he has done might have worked 20 yrs ago, but he is just too far behind. We need a young hungry GM looking to make a name for himself. Someone who will hold not only his people, but himself accountable.

That's just off the top of my head. I need to get some dinner. I would be willing too discuss in more detail if anyone is interested.

Wow, my quote button finally worked!!!

HAIL MANCHILD157!

About the laughing and smiling coming off a loss...I don't like it one bit. But it is a new era, hell I don't like seeing players hug each other from other teams, and I really hate seeing one of our players help an opposing player off the ground after a tackle(haven't seen that from the Redskins this year). We aren't the only team out there that acts like this and I for one dislike it big time. Be nasty, be hungry, and dislike the team you are playing.

AMEN!

HTTR!!!

Again out of likes but give yourself 1. - my take on RG3

RG3 is in his 3rd year and obviously has a tremendous amount of talent, the question is when is he going to show it to win games consistently.

Also when is he going to learn how not to get injured by taking advantage of his scrambling ability to get extra time and to keep from getting hit (AKA Fran Tarkenton).

One also gets the feeling this year that he will find a way to play poorly when the game is on the line, with Colt it was the exact opposite.

However, even beyond the other problems he needs to correct 1 major flaw to remain the Redskin QB - learn to pick up the alternate receivers quickly so he can have a short passing game that eats up clock and marches down the field at the most opportune times.

I use to be a great fan of RG3 but his support for me this year has worn thin. Of course if he starts winning I would be back on bandwagon, I like winning. I don't care much for the losing mode we have been in for the past couple of years and will rile against those coaches and players that appear to keep it going; so don' take my riling over seriously; it is driven by disgust with losing as much as anything.

Completely agree with you GoSkins. Especially about talent evaluation. Seems like the organization just goes by the combines. Most of these guys were promoted from within. Sometimes you just have to part ways with people and move on.

Hail Johns Bass-  Dude I had noticed that you been gone for a couple of weeks, glad you're back and everythings good with you and family. Missed your take on our Team.

I would have to say when it comes to RGIII I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet, but a couple things need to happen. No QB is any good injured. No player is any good injured. So that means that RGIII going out their and just "be me" needs to STOP. I feel like he doesn't want to be coached to play under center. I feel he wants to run around and violently get hit. I swear their isn't another QB out there that takes the nasty hits he does. Every time he gets hit he looks like a rag doll being flung which in turn ends in injury. 3 years all with injuries. I think he did a good job not forcing the ball against the Vikings. That loss is squarely on the defense and their sh*tty coordinator. If he will listen to Gruden have the ability of RGIII and play like Colt did against Dallas then we have a franchise QB. I have no doubt in my mind. Play smart. look for what the defense gives you and when we smarten up about defense the wins will take care of itself. OFF TOPIC I think we go Safety first round. We build something like Seattle has with the LOB man that would be something. We have several guys waiting to play o-line. Free agency is another way to address that. Collins First round.

OH I FORGOT GO SKINS!

Thanx Manchild - appreciate the sentiment. My free time has been cut down recently and I have spent some of those precious moments over at BGO. They are a tad bit faster than this forum supplies on the same subject matter and a lot of the same posters there as here. No limit on likes either.

@ 603 - I am in the same frame of mind. Although if it looks a QB replacement is decided on by the powers that be then going for a high end quarterback draft pick makes sense. Will the Redskins be able to address all of their needs on the Oline in one year? Seems unlikely but it is possible. RG III wasn't Grudens guy so there is less attachment to him.

Outside of the PAC-10 (I won't call it 12) I don't really follow much college stuff but I am guessing that you mean Landon Collins. I suppose depending on if the Skins wind up with multiple picks in the first round that works but he might also be available in the 2nd depending how he finishes out this season. 

Mariota (QB - Oregon) would be my choice - big guy that  takes a hit like Big Ben without breaking (6-4/220); has speed (4.4/40); super accurate (89 TDs/12 Int's career) plus he won't hold the rock too long (does know when to dump it to the sidelines). Completely the opposite of Robert character wise. He won't be in the news for anything other than his on the field performance.

Lets not forget that next year the team has to exercise that 5th year option to keep RG III. What is that gonna cost - $80 million or so?  Well, they could let him play out 2015, let Marcus get up to NFL speed and move on. Maybe he shows enough to even push Griffin off the starters spot in next years camp. It would save cap space (which they may not have if they want to improve elsewhere on the team) by not going the option route. If you want to think trade, Griffin would draw more interest than say a Kirk Cousins will. 

Griffin has been out for about 10 games or so in the last 2 and a 1/2 seasons. That comes out to about a quarter of his career so far. You can blame it on whatever you want but that it is the reality. Really not trying to bash the guy but there are some serious what-ifs here. What's Plan B?

Lets not forget that next year the team has to exercise that 5th year option to keep RG III. What is that gonna cost - $80 million or so?  Well, they could let him play out 2015, let Marcus get up to NFL speed and move on. Maybe he shows enough to even push Griffin off the starters spot in next years camp. It would save cap space (which they may not have if they want to improve elsewhere on the team) by not going the option route. If you want to think trade, Griffin would draw more interest than say a Kirk Cousins will. 

Griffin has been out for about 10 games or so in the last 2 and a 1/2 seasons. That comes out to about a quarter of his career so far. You can blame it on whatever you want but that it is the reality. Really not trying to bash the guy but there are some serious what-ifs here. What's Plan B?

I think there is a misunderstandinig about the rookie contracts work. On 1st rounders only, the players are signed to a 4 yr contract with a 5th year team option. At the end of the 3rd year (that would be this year for RGIII), The team can exercise it's 5th year option. The salary is mostly predetermined and in line with the current rookie contract. I would expect something in the $6 - $8M range. You may be thinking that during that 5th they may renegotiate, but that would only be if he is playing well.

I bring this up as i have seen many people talk about how much RGIII is going to cost us after this year, and it's just not true, even if we pick up the 5th year option.

This quote particular struck me "Griffin has been out for about 10 games or so in the last 2 and a 1/2 seasons. That comes out to about a quarter of his career so far. You can blame it on whatever you want but that it is the reality."  Sorry, but blame sounds to me like there is some question or it was his fault.

It's not a matter of assigning blame. There are facts at play. To me missing 3 games becuase of an egomaniacal head coach is not the same as out injured. For one you can still practice with the team and get 2nd team reps. 

We may indeed need a plan B. But IMO it's way too earlier to pull the plug. Lets let him finish the year, then we can make a more informed decision. 

Interesting read from Mike Jones that explains some of Griffins problems-

Recent articles from the local sports media have noted that RG3 is still unfamiliar with the playbook because of his indecisiveness. However, Kirk Cousins and Colt McCoy seemed to have a better grasp because they were decisive. Did the coaching staff limit the playbook for KC & Colt?

The problem isn’t a lack of understanding or knowledge of the playbook. The indecisiveness involves confidence and a feel for the pocket and anticipation. Griffin knows the offense inside and out and can spit out whatever verbiage and, and he knows where receivers are supposed to go. But, he doesn’t always trust his eyes and the concepts of the system.

He’s a perfectionist, which is good, but that can also hurt you if you’re a quarterback running a timing-based offense. This scheme is designed for a quarterback to hit his drop-backs and boom, get the ball out. The receiver, if he runs his route correctly, will get to the spot at the same time the quarterback completes his drop-back and throws the ball. Sometimes a receiver may not exactly look he’s open yet, but the quarterback has to hit that final step of his three-, five- or seven-step drop and deliver the ball to the spot (leading the receiver), trusting that his target will get there. Because he doesn’t want to throw an interception, Griffin will hesitate and will hold on to the ball half-a-beat (or two or three) longer, but on many plays, you can’t afford to do that. Obviously, if the defender has better position on the pass-catcher, you have to go elsewhere. But it’s a fine line.

Cousins and McCoy didn’t run stream-lined versions of the playbook. They have played in this type of offense before and they have that anticipation in the pocket. Cousins’s problem is he frequently makes up his mind too quickly, and other times, he starts forcing things. If you could blend Cousins’s anticipation with Griffin’s caution and contrive the perfect blend and balance, you’d be golden. The timing and anticipation is something Griffin can only develop by playing more. The same goes for his feel in the pocket (the ability to sense pressure coming and knowing how to move accordingly without actually taking his eyes off downfield receivers, which would prove disruptive). You see flashes and indications that he’s getting it, but then you also see instances, particularly in the second half of Sunday’s game, where Griffin starts second-guessing himself and what he sees. It’s important that he takes strides for each week over the next seven weeks.

Hail GoSkins - Nice post.

But I did note that it was an 'if' the organization decided to move away from RG III. So yeah - playing it till the end of the year and then deciding is what I meant. It's not like they will be able to draft anybody at any position until next year. And that is also exactly what I meant about there being a question of it being all his fault but he doesn't get a free ride either.

And the option year can be rolled into long term contract plus you get an extra year for spreading out the cap hit. If all you are going to do is exercise that option for only one year it seems to me like you just don't have that much faith in the dude. 

Is it his fault he gets injured? Maybe not but he did irregardless of the reason. Rak can't stay on the field due to injuries. Maybe it is his fault but the issue is that you can't rely on him for a whole season. Bowen should have been dumped considering his cap hit and injury. I said this before the season started and I am going stick by it. So far - 3 games and three tackles. 

But if a guy is not going to be able to play an entire season then what? Keeping three QBs on because of fear that your #1 guy won't make it through the season is a luxury that this team really can't afford. Maniacal or not, Jay had the same reservations during camp that MS gave for the benching. 

Point is - Griffin isn't a no-brainer right now. If you listen to Gruden, he doesn't sound too convinced that Robert is 'the guy' today. That could change. See how the season finishes out for sure. And I wouldn't count on the Redskins giving up on RG III anyway. They have had a propensity for keeping players on too long and hoping that they pan out.

Hail Johns - I agree with the post above almost exactly. A one minor difference.

The Contract - I understand what you are saying, but my point was they would not need to rework his contract until the end of next year even picking up the option year. Considering how much time he has missed, they may exercise his option to give him next season to show he can stay on the field. I agree under normal circumstances you probably renegotiate his contract this year, but this is not normal.

On a  positive note, even NFL.com started admitting that the highlights show the wrong impression of his performance. Check this out from NFL.com (Gregg Rosenthal from his QB Index). I like the last statement.:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000423667/article/qb-index-why-are-kaepernick-cam-wilson-struggling

Robert Griffin III: Anyone killing RGIII for his start last week only saw the highlights. His interception late in the first half turned the game around and his low throw to Pierre Garcon on fourth down late in the fourth quarter essentially ended the game. He played well for the most part otherwise, with some pretty deep throws and escapes from pressure. He didn't get rid of the ball quickly enough at times, but overall it was an encouraging performance. Pin the loss on the defense giving up 22 second-half points.

What's interesting is that they are finally running out of excuses for Russell Wilson. He is starting to show he is an average QB at best.

Archived