Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A fan's prerogative

Art

For the first time this year, I'm entering today's contest excited. This is normally the feeling I have heading into most Sunday's. This year, it has been replaced with apprehension -- prior to the opener -- and resignation -- prior to the second Giants game -- and total comfort for that one game.

This game the comfort is gone, but, the excitement is back. This game means something to this team. Win or lose, it is very meaningful. A loss and we know the team we've seen for 25 of 28 quarters so far this year is the team we are stuck with.

A win, and it really means very little what we saw early. This team can believe in itself. And, for those who said not to compare Marty and Gibbs when we were 0-5, you were right. Marty isn't Gibbs. He's not the genius Gibbs was. Somehow though, Marty is in position to surpass what Gibbs did that rookie year, and he may well find a way to do so without inspiring the hope Gibbs did.

This team is starting to take on Marty's personality. It is starting to do something Parcells said it couldn't do after the Green Bay game. It's starting to hit back. It's starting to play with some guts and heart. This is what Marty brings. He brings guts and heart. He's NEVER brought brilliance in scheme.

This team can be a very difficult team to beat if Marty allows it to play to the strengths it has, while also continuing to take on his personality. This game is exciting because this game may be the one to right the ship completely. Two tough games after the bye week, but, a split there and this team has something legitimate going out of a totally *******ized season.

It took seven games, but, I'm finally excited about what could happen with this team. A win here and we'll all be pretty excited for at least two more weeks smile.gif. While I still have serious concerns about this team with Marty's limited gameplans -- even against the Giants, he had no counter when the Giants went to a pass-first offense -- a win here means Marty finally showed up to the party.

Better late than never. smile.gif

I promise you, Art, that if we win today the media will find reasons why the Seahawks gave it to us. They aren't ready to declare that we might have a young team with a bit of promise. You won't read about how Marty outcoached Mike Holmgren or how the Skins out-fought the 'Hawks.

I don't know if we'll win today, but I'm pretty sure we'll scap with these guys. That's really what I wanted to see - a team that'll hang in there and fight. I'll take that over last year's 'I Gotta Run - My Personal Jeweler Is Waiting In The Locker Room' Team.

What young player steps up this week? Central McCellion? Darnerian McCants? Is this Bates' week to return a punt for a TD (he's been so close a couple of times)?

Archived