Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vick out till December

TK

http://www.billingsgazette.com/index.php?id=2&display=rednews/2003/10/30/build/sportsnational/34-vick.inc

Vick says he's out until December

Associated Press

After watching his team get off to a miserable start without its best player, Atlanta Falcons coach Dan Reeves wants Michael Vick back on the field now.

No way, says Vick, who insists he won't come back until his broken leg is totally healed.

And, in the first firm timetable on his return, Vick said Wednesday he'll probably make his debut Dec. 7 against Carolina -- much longer than the projected recovery period.

"I'm kind of frustrated," he said. "I thought I would be back a little earlier. But I don't have any control over the way my body feels ... Right now, I can't do it. I honestly can't do it."

Reeves obviously feels different. He gave a totally unsolicited assessment of Vick's recovery after being asked a general question about how the Falcons (1-6) are holding up during a six-game losing streak.

"Mike needs to get back as soon as he possibly can," Reeves said Wednesday. "He talks about how he shouldn't come back, but I think he realizes, too, that you've got a small window of opportunity, and he's not getting better sitting on the sidelines."

Vick, a Pro Bowler in his first season as a starter, broke his right leg in an Aug. 16 exhibition game. At the time, doctors projected the recovery time at six to ten weeks.

If Vick doesn't play until Dec. 7, his rehab will have lasted 16 weeks.

While expressing surprise at Reeves' comments, Vick said he doesn't expect the situation to cause a rift between player and coach.

Vick said he has the support of owner Arthur Blank, who has told the quarterback to make sure he's fully recovered before he tries to play. Blank, of course, also will decide Reeves' fate.

The quarterback flatly rejected any suggestion he's delaying his comeback because the Falcons' season already appears hopeless. He said the team's record is irrelevant, but he's got to protect his future.

"The opponents don't care about you," Vick said. "I have to care about me. This is my livelihood. I want to play for a long time."

Browns' Green arrested

Cleveland Browns running back William Green pleaded innocent Wednesday to charges of marijuana possession and driving under the influence.

Green was arrested Monday after police received a call from a motorist reporting a possible drunken driver. An officer found a bag of marijuana weighing 3.2 grams in the car, and a breath test indicated Green had a blood-alcohol content of .165, more than twice the state's limit, police said.

Green, who leads Cleveland with 559 yards on 142 carries, was released on bond. He and his attorney did not comment after the arraignment.

If convicted of the DUI charge, Green could be put on probation or face up to a $1,000 fine and six months in jail. His license could be suspended for up to three years. The marijuana charge is a misdemeanor and carries a $100 fine.

Cleveland (3-5) has a bye this week and plays next on Nov. 9 at Kansas City, and it was unclear if Green would be available.

While in college at Boston College, Green was twice suspended from the team for marijuana use. The Browns made him the 16th overall pick in the 2002 NFL draft.

Griese to start for Dolphins

Quarterback Brian Griese will start for the second consecutive week for the Miami Dolphins when they play Indianapolis on Sunday.

Griese made his season debut against San Diego on Monday night, throwing for 192 yards and three touchdowns in Miami's 26-10 win.

"Right now he gives us the best chance to win," coach Dave Wannstedt said Wednesday.

Jay Fiedler, who started Miami's first six games, was listed as questionable because he sprained his knee two weeks ago in the Dolphins' 19-13 overtime loss to New England. Fiedler was in uniform Monday night but was designated the No. 3 quarterback.

Fiedler took some snaps with the first team Wednesday, but experienced more trouble with the sprained knee ligament.

"Jay Fiedler doesn't have to prove one thing to anybody around here," Wannstedt said. "The guy's won as many games as anybody in the league. If it was up to Jay, he'd go out there and play. ... I just feel that this is the best way to go."

Tuiasosopo to start

Marques Tuiasosopo will start at quarterback for the Oakland Raiders on Sunday at Detroit in place of injured Rich Gannon.

Gannon, the reigning NFL MVP, was listed as doubtful Wednesday with a shoulder injury. The Raiders have not said how severely the 37-year-old Gannon is hurt.

Gannon was injured in the Raiders' 17-10 loss to Kansas City on Oct. 20 and hasn't thrown a pass since. He was knocked out of the game in the first half following two sacks by linebacker Shawn Barber and several other hits.

The 24-year-old Tuiasosopo nearly rallied the Raiders (2-5) to a comeback win against the Chiefs, but fell just short when Tim Brown was tackled on the 1-yard line as time expired. Tuiasosopo was 16-for-28 for 224 yards after replacing Gannon.

Favre returns to practice

Brett Favre threw several passes and passed one crucial test Wednesday in his first practice since breaking his right thumb 10 days earlier.

Favre, who will experiment with a variety of sheaths and splints this week, took several snaps from center Mike Flanagan and threw short tosses during 7-on-7 drills in the Green Bay Packers' workout that was closed to the media.

"Just trial and error basically today, but it went OK," said Favre, who has a hairline fracture beneath the fingernail on the thumb of his throwing hand.

Favre was listed as probable for Sunday's game at Minnesota.

Redskins sign Russell

Deciding the need was worth the risk, the Washington Redskins signed defensive tackle Darrell Russell to a one-year, $790,000 contract Wednesday.

Russell joins the team two days after he was reinstated by the NFL following a 11/2-year suspension for a second violation of the league's substance abuse policy.

The Redskins are in dire need of defensive line help. They cut Dan Wilkinson during the offseason, and Brandon Noble was lost for the season with a knee injury in training camp, leaving a patchwork of mostly career backups who haven't stopped the run and have generated very little pass rush.

Russell, the No. 2 overall pick by Oakland in the 1997 draft, had 281/2 sacks in five seasons with the Raiders and made the Pro Bowl in 1998 and 1999. He remained under contract to the Raiders during his suspension, and they cut him Monday after it was lifted.

Eagles' Westbrook sidelined

Brian Westbrook, the Philadelphia Eagles' leading rusher and kick returner, will miss Sunday's game at Atlanta because of a sprained left ankle.

Eagles coach Andy Reid did not say whether Correll Buckhalter or Duce Staley will start at running back on Sunday.

Westbrook was injured in the first half of last week's victory over the New York Jets. The second-year pro has 323 yards rushing, an average of 5.6 yards per carry and four rushing touchdowns.

Cowboys sign Murrell

Troy Hambrick is struggling. Richie Anderson is hurting. And the Dallas Cowboys are going into the make-or-break part of their schedule.

With a little of each in mind, Bill Parcells signed Adrian Murrell on Wednesday to add more versatility to the Cowboys' running game.

A 1,000-yard rusher from 1996-98, Murrell last played as a backup for Washington in 2000. He came back this summer, spending three weeks in training camp with Dallas because he wanted to play for Parcells.

Murrell, 33, was told up front that he'd be released before the opener because of salary-cap reasons, but to stay in shape because he might be called back.

"I brought him in with the idea of getting him ready to play," Parcells said. "I hope to integrate him into the system and see how it goes. I have an idea of what he was able to once do. And I think there is a place for that if we can get back some version of Adrian Murrell."

Copyright © The Billings Gazette, a division of Lee Enterprises.

I had a feeling when I heard what his injury was that he would be out for a LONG time. I had the exact same fibula injury early last December and had surgery in January. I am still not fully recovered. It takes at least 9 months to a year to get recovered. I thought it would be a miracle for him to recover in time to play this season.

Archived