Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Let's Put the Over/Under on Roger Goodell's Resignation at Halloween. I've Got the Under!

Diehard Otis

I am probably going to get a lot of flack for this - but - why should Goodell resign now?  What about this current Ray Rice situation is his fault?  Yes, in the past he has made many questionable decisions and some of them left us all saying "really?".  But in this Ray Rice "scandal" - why is everyone so quick to condemn Goodell?  Why not delve further into management of the Baltimore Ravens?  Why aren't people "outraged" at Janay Rice?  She had that happen to her (he had no right to hit her)  and yet, she still married the guy!!  She had every opportunity to help herself and become a poster woman for domestic violence and how to have a positive outcome from a very bad situation!  I just don't agree with this public "rage" against Goodell and changing the dynamics of what is wrong with the Rice situation (an epidemic of domestic violence) and making it all about Goodell.  If someone can explain to me how Goodell resigning will change the Rice situation I would sure appreciate it.

What about this current Ray Rice situation is his fault?

What about Bountygate was Sean Payton's fault?

Goodell banned him for a year because he SHOULD have known. Well Goodell should've known that Rice beat his girlfriend. I mean, the dude told him he did, the evidence on the first video tape did, and it's his responsibility to know what is going on and react appropriately just as it was Sean Payton's responsibility on the Saints.

Goodell already knows that he should be gone because he's already done this before to a coach.

You are right about how Sean Payton was treated - I agree.  So using that as an example - then why aren't "we" more outraged that the Raven organization isn't being scrutinized in this situation - I mean if it is the coach's responsibility to know everything - didn't the coach of Baltimore let this fall through the cracks?  I am not excusing Goodell by any means of mistakes he has made - I just don't see in this particular situation that he should be the main focus and the fall guy.

You are right about how Sean Payton was treated - I agree. So using that as an example - then why aren't "we" more outraged that the Raven organization isn't being scrutinized in this situation - I mean if it is the coach's responsibility to know everything - didn't the coach of Baltimore let this fall through the cracks? I am not excusing Goodell by any means of mistakes he has made - I just don't see in this particular situation that he should be the main focus and the fall guy.

There is apparently evidence that the 2nd video from inside the elevator was most likely seen by Goodell before he handed down the initial punishment of 2 games suspension. If so, then not only was his initial ruling insultingly light, but he also lied about not seeing the video. At the very least it paints a picture of incompetence that such a damning and important video could be in his staff's possession and he have no clue that it's there. And this would be like the last straw in a series of questionable punishment decisions Goodell has handed down during his tenure.

As far as I know, nothing like that has been reported about the Ravens and their FO.

There is apparently evidence that the 2nd video from inside the elevator was most likely seen by Goodell before he handed down the initial punishment of 2 games suspension. 

Not only this, but Goodell told ESPN in an interview recently that Ray Rice did not tell him exactly what happened in the elevator, and now Rice is saying that he most definitely told Goodell that he hit his wife and knocked her out in his initial interview. This situation is getting stickier and stickier for Goodell, and I see no way he survives, nor, do I believe, should he.

Not only this, but Goodell told ESPN in an interview recently that Ray Rice did not tell him exactly what happened in the elevator, and now Rice is saying that he most definitely told Goodell that he hit his wife and knocked her out in his initial interview. This situation is getting stickier and stickier for Goodell, and I see no way he survives, nor, do I believe, should he.

If it does get proven that he saw the video (or at the least had possession of it), he's gone. Immediately.

Archived