Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Examining the Redskin's offensive core

Rskins91

With the news of the Desean Jackson signing, I like many of you am quite excited. We now have the deep threat that the team needs to break defenses open and keep opposing defensive backfields honest. But the thing that has me the most excited about the Desean Jackson signing isn't just the talent level of the offense - it's the age of every one of our core offensive players. Just take a look at the list below.

QB Robert Griffin III - Age 24

RB Alfred Morris - Age 25

WR Pierre Garcon - Age 27

WR Desean Jackson - Age 27

LT Trent Williams - Age 25 (26 when season begins)

TE Jordan Reed - Age 23

6/11 Starters on offense are below 30, in the prime or about to enter the primes of their career. This excludes players like Andre Roberts who is 26 and has an opportunity to do big things for us from the slot. The point is, our offense is set up to take advantage of these young, hungry players who have plenty of talent. Sean McVay himself is 28 and according to those in the know, is an up and coming offensive talent. He must be giddy with all the options he has available to him.

Realistically, the offense has a 3-5 year window to keep this core of talent together and accomplish some great things. By that time, Griffin will be 29 years old and we can continue to place new pieces around him if/when there is a drop-off in production from players who are aging/on the decline.

I think the FO has done a great job bringing in young talent that can stay together for a long time, while giving our franchise QB prospect all the weapons he could ask for. To me, this seems like a reason for optimism moving forward.

What direction do you think the offense will go in under Gruden and McVay's leadership with this talent? What would you do?

Spread them wide, attack aggressively down the field. If I see more than 1-2 dink and dunk screen passes or run those jumbo 3 TE formation crap per game I will rage. Lets utilize the speed and athleticism we have.

When we do run the ball we should still spread them outside. I always like running the ball out of 4 wide. Force those skinny little DBs to try to tackle Alfred Morris.

Your enthusiasm regarding our offensive potential is justified...however... as the resident devil's advocate:

Our secondary may be exploited to the point where the Skins offense is in "must pass" mode. This is not good because the Skins have NOT been a good pocket passing team. And then there is our offensive line...

Your enthusiasm regarding our offensive potential is justified...however... as the resident devil's advocate:

Our secondary may be exploited to the point where the Skins offense is in "must pass" mode. This is not good because the Skins have NOT been a good pocket passing team. And then there is our offensive line...

Slow developing plays are not favorable for our o-line or the QB.

DJ and Garcon can give the quick slant routes to help ease pressure off the line, but eventually a pressing defense will slow that down too. It will depend on the QB and his ability to see the field, read the defense, and anticipate; another season like last year will melt this forum down.

It will get better; it HAS to get better.

On the flip side, if the offense lives up to its potential and scores a bunch of points, it puts the other team in pass first mode and our pass rush SHOULD take advantage.

The defensive impacting offensive production is something to concern ourselves with. I am currently under the belief that our defense can get no worse than the sieve it was last year. I think with even a 20 something ranked defense that this team will be much better this year than last year simply because of the offense.

We also don't know what pieces will be added via the draft, so I'd wait to see what weaknesses we have on our roster once the draft takes place. I'd say the O-line will be better with a better Robert and WRs who can get open quickly and bail Robert out on busted plays.

I'd like a thread devoted to our new offense

Here is a PFF link DJax 2013 routes

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/04/02/the-routes-of-desean-jackson/

Lots of go routes of course

Final Word

Keeping the off-field stuff aside, Jackson will provide a lot of value to quarterback Robert Griffin III and the Redskins. Even if he continues to do most of his work on go routes and crossers, he’ll provide a nice field-stretching complement to WR Pierre Garcon and second-year tight end Jordan Reed.

Archived