Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lineman Mike McGlynn, Redskins Reach Deal

I've heard mixed reviews about this guy, granted mainly from Colts fans. Other than what they say...& I take that with a grain of salt...I don't know much about him. It says in the article he's started a few games & that he's a C/G. I suppose that's an area of need but I wonder what this means for LeRibeus, Gettis & Chester? It would seem that we now have a surplus of G's. On the stadium page people say that Chester may be on the hot seat & could be on his way out. I don't know about that. He may be on the wrong side of youth but I have yet to see any one of our other options play well enough to replace him.

Maybe this McGlynn guy is just training camp fodder. A body just to help fill the 90 man roster. I don't know...I'm just a Canadianfanforlife. What I do know is that for the 1st time in a long time I'm starting to see a concerted effort to rebuild the O-line & that's something I've been campaigning in favor of for a very long time now.

Maybe this is the kind of thing from Gruden that my friend MANCHILD157 see's & that I fail to see. Dam tunnel vision... :blink:

HTTR!!!     

What I do know is that for the 1st time in a long time I'm starting to see a concerted effort to rebuild the O-line & that's something I've been campaigning in favor of for a very long time now.

I think you may have said it all there brother. Throw enough of them out on the field and see who's the best. I'm not sayong LeRebius is going to light the world on fire but the interviews I've heard is he's taking his career seriously and has been working on his body to tone and strengthen. I'm kinda concerned with any player who isn't working hard to be a starter. If I were coach last year(how many fans have said that?) I would have played LeRebius fat butt just to humiliate him last year for being out of shape because he was stealing money, plain and simple.

Skins actually passed for more yds than the Colts last year. Colts gave up far fewer sacks but took a few more QB hits. So, is Luck holding on too long or just strong enough to take the hit without the sack? I lean more towards the later, but that is just my most humble opinion.

Chester grades out as a top 10 RG and doesn't break the bank; even if he gets beat out as a starter he still makes the roster. McGlynn, maybe a swing player but so far has not shown himself as starter material. Skins can definitely use help in pass protect on the right side (he could do that) especially if they continue to rely on a sub-300 lb RT. (Skins recently noted that they wanted Tyler to bulk up after he hit 285 lbs...6-8/285 is a lot closer to a TE than a RT).

Great points by both CanadianFan & Manchild about rebuilding the O-Line. I am still awaiting the player to be named later who is going to press for the RT position; which is where the real need is.  They have guards & centers to chose from (and of course a LT!) but Compton is the only other tackle on the roster right now. Lots of time left between now and Sept, but that is the spot on the line I am waiting to see what develops. Harris & Brown are still available; certainly worth a look at least one of them.

Forever Redskins!

Skins actually passed for more yds than the Colts last year. Colts gave up far fewer sacks but took a few more QB hits. So, is Luck holding on too long or just strong enough to take the hit without the sack? I lean more towards the later, but that is just my most humble opinion.

Chester grades out as a top 10 RG and doesn't break the bank; even if he gets beat out as a starter he still makes the roster. McGlynn, maybe a swing player but so far has not shown himself as starter material. Skins can definitely use help in pass protect on the right side (he could do that) especially if they continue to rely on a sub-300 lb RT. (Skins recently noted that they wanted Tyler to bulk up after he hit 285 lbs...6-8/285 is a lot closer to a TE than a RT).

Great points by both CanadianFan & Manchild about rebuilding the O-Line. I am still awaiting the player to be named later who is going to press for the RT position; which is where the real need is.  They have guards & centers to chose from (and of course a LT!) but Compton is the only other tackle on the roster right now. Lots of time left between now and Sept, but that is the spot on the line I am waiting to see what develops. Harris & Brown are still available; certainly worth a look at least one of them.

Forever Redskins!

McGlynn is not going to see Guard unless he it's in a back-up role. He was a starter in Philly as a C before getting injured. The Colts put him at G which is not his natural position. I believe he is here to provide competition fro Kory at C, something I like. I am not excited about Kory at C. He was horrible in the few times he replaced monty. 

I would still see us taking Oline in the draft, probably later in the draft. 

I agree with all that it's nice to see at least some attention to the Oline. Don't be surprised if we pick someone up in the after draft flurry of activity. Like canada I have been looking for that for some also. It's a good sign!  

I agree that RT is the area that we need to concentrate on now. I can't believe that we would honestly enter the season with Polumbus as the starter & Compton as the backup. We need more than those 2. You could possibly add M. Hurt to that list but IMO the guy is a disaster. I don't even think about him.

Until the RT spot is solidified with something other than a Band-Aid we'll continue to be in the top 10 in QB hits allowed. We'll continue to allow 40+ sacks per year. Now, It's not all bad, we can still run, but considering RG3's knee we have to have solid protection all the way around. He has yet to play a full season as a pro (which includes his benching) & if we have any intentions on contending for the division title, then we need RG3 upright at all times. That's pretty elementary.

I agree with JOHNS BASS in that I would like to see Ryan Harris come in. I think it would be a good fit for us. He's still young enough to be the starter for several years. Have him be the starter & have Polumbus & Compton fight it out for the backup spot. Best man wins. Then IMO we would have some pretty good depth there & throughout the line in general. If you still want, draft a T in the mid rounds. Can't have too many of those.

HTTR!!!

we should take tackle Cyrus Kouandjio Alabama to start at right tackle

That's a pretty good call but he did fail some teams physicals at the combine (arthritic knee). Also there is a good chance he may not make it out of the first with so many teams with tackle needs.

What do you think about Morgan Moses, Virginia? Skins are going towards more bulk on the line, he's about Trent's size and a much better pass protector than other tackles that will probably be available after him.

Hey John, I like your suggestion, seems strengths outweigh his weaknesses.

Strengths Weaknesses POSITIVES: Ideal length and proportion throughout for an NFL offensive tackle. Does a good job of exhibiting patience off the snap as he routinely establishes width and good bend in his base to either absorb or mirror his opponent in pass protection. Makes good use of his long arms by extending and punching to keep defenders off his frame. Displays a fluid, consistent kick-slide when asked to track and dictate a speed rusher around the edge.

Exhibits a strong first step and impressive burst for his size, when asked to fire through to the second level as a run blocker. Powerful hands to latch and steer against opponents of all sizes. Does a good job sustaining effort and contact to the whistle, and makes a concerted attempt to drive his opponent off the block rather than simply occupying him. Impressive lower-half flexibility and anchoring strength when absorbing a bull-rush.

NEGATIVES: Lacks the ability to stop and start with suddenness or redirect in a short area. Struggles to get low and snap into smaller opponents at the second level, and will over-pursue as a run-blocker. Isn't always decisive in space and lacks commitment at times as a lead blocker on outside runs.

Collapses at the elbow or will simply drop his head and ram his target when on the run, leaving him susceptible to whiffing or losing his balance and toppling forward. Has struggled with weight fluctuations throughout his career.

COMPARES TO: Ryan Clady, OT, Denver Broncos - Like Clady, Morgan enters the draft with plus movement skills for his size, but comes with many of the same questions that Clady did in terms of his ability to gnerate power enough to move defenders consistently as a run-blocker. If he can improve in this area, Moses has the upside to be a top-notch blind-side protector at the next level, as Clady has become.

--Derek Stephens and Dane Brugler (2/2/14)

Player Overview

Moses is the definition of a "dancing bear" with his mammoth size and nimble feet. He likes to use his limbs to get his hands on defenders and take them wherever he wants, but needs to continue and refine his technique. If he continues to develop while staying in shape, Moses will be an attractive blocker for the next level.

I keep seeing about tyler Polumbus being horrible and I have to admit at least going into last season I had to agree. But he actually did not have a bad season last year. Here is an article from PFF dated late December last year, stating Wiliams and Polumbus are the best tackle combos in the NFL. TW ranked 2nd overall at LT while Polumbus graded out at 9th overall. 

http://redskinshogheaven.com/2013-articles/pro-football-focus-the-redskins-have-the-best-tackles-in-the-nfl.html

It is their assertion that the problems with the line were more due to Chester, Monty and Kory than the Ts. I am not sure I agree completely but I did go watch some more film and Polumbus did better than I remembered. Also, some guys that really know how to watch tape have said he played well. 

Not sure what to make of it accept don;t be surprised if he is our starting RT. To me the starting line looks like:

TW SLauvao Kory/McGlynn Gettis/Hurt/draft Polumbus

If we don't sign or draft someone for RT, I just don't see Compton suddenly beating Polumbus out. JMO

Kinda off topic, but have you guys heard D. Jackson is coming in for a visit on Monday? Just read that. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338069/article/desean-jackson-to-visit-washington-redskins

I don't know if what they say is true in regards to the gang thing, but if it isn't true then he & Garcon would be a deadly combination. Throw in a little Alfred & sky's the limit.

HTTR!!!

Kinda off topic, but have you guys heard D. Jackson is coming in for a visit on Monday? Just read that. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338069/article/desean-jackson-to-visit-washington-redskins

I don't know if what they say is true in regards to the gang thing, but if it isn't true then he & Garcon would be a deadly combination. Throw in a little Alfred & sky's the limit.

HTTR!!!

I was commenting in the Stadium on that thread. My only concern is I don't want us to open the checkbook on this guy. We have shown financial restraint and I hope it stays that way. I don't want a return the vinny days where we brought in big name Fs and they fell on their face. 

i do get the difference is he is in his prime. I am not aging no, just be careful and don;t get ourselves into an over priced contract trying to outbid teams like KC, Oakland, Jets and Tampa who have deep pockets. 

Hail goskins!

and then there is this..."Polumbus started 15 games last season (2012) and the Redskins led the NFL in rushing, but he graded out 77th among 80 qualifying tackles per PFF". That was in Jul of 2013. 

Link @ Rotoworld; http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5034/tyler-polumbus

IDK; probably not that low any more but not that high either. That's a huge jump in one year for a guy that wasn't that good in pass protection. Plus, Redskins have been adding more bulk to their line so I still think they are on the lookout whether it be by draft or FA at some point. If they keep going for more of a hog look as they have been, Tyler is not that guy.

As you said - would not be surprised to still see him as the starter; don't see Compton as beating him out. And right now there is no one else.  I expect some competition to be brought in this year for RT and am waiting to see what that is. If they cut him in favor of a FA it is $2M back to the cap for signing that guy.

Would it be worth the risk signing this guy? They say he probably won't get $10 mil a year, more like 6..7..a year. Is that cheep for that kind of productivity? I don't know, maybe, but if he comes with all the baggage then the savings in $$$ won't be worth it. We don't need any more cancer in the locker room.

But if he comes in & satisfies any concerns we could make him an offer he can't refuse. If both parties come to an agreement, we could have something very big on our hands. I have no idea what it would take to make it happen but putting everything personal aside, those kind of #'s are hard to pass up.

HTTR!!!  

Hail goskins!

and then there is this..."Polumbus started 15 games last season (2012) and the Redskins led the NFL in rushing, but he graded out 77th among 80 qualifying tackles per PFF". That was in Jul of 2013. 

Link @ Rotoworld; http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5034/tyler-polumbus

IDK; probably not that low any more but not that high either. That's a huge jump in one year for a guy that wasn't that good in pass protection. Plus, Redskins have been adding more bulk to their line so I still think they are on the lookout whether it be by draft or FA at some point. If they keep going for more of a hog look as they have been, Tyler is not that guy.

As you said - would not be surprised to still see him as the starter; don't see Compton as beating him out. And right now there is no one else.  I expect some competition to be brought in this year for RT and am waiting to see what that is. If they cut him in favor of a FA it is $2M back to the cap for signing that guy.

Hail Johns - That's the thing. He was horrible the year we won the division. But last year when we were 3-13, he was actually not the problem. The article I posted was from Dec 20th 2013 so near the end of the season. 

Please do not misunderstand me, I still see RT as a major place for improvement, regardless of how PFF sees him. I just thought it interesting how he graded out and in looking at his play with a more critical eye he did play better in 2013. 

Would it be worth the risk signing this guy? They say he probably won't get $10 mil a year, more like 6..7..a year. Is that cheep for that kind of productivity? I don't know, maybe, but if he comes with all the baggage then the savings in $$$ won't be worth it. We don't need any more cancer in the locker room.

But if he comes in & satisfies any concerns we could make him an offer he can't refuse. If both parties come to an agreement, we could have something very big on our hands. I have no idea what it would take to make it happen but putting everything personal aside, those kind of #'s are hard to pass up.

HTTR!!!  

If we could get him in the $6M - $7M area I would be great with signing him. You could make it so you have very little dead cap space after this year if he has off the field problems or does not pan out. Something like --> $4M salary 1st year with a $6M signing bonus, for say 4 yrs with the remaining yrs at $6M, $8M, $8M. If you make only $12M guaranteed, you need only to keep him 2 yrs before the dead cap hit goes down to like $3M. 

I just see Oakland or KC throwing $10M - $12M yr with more guaranteed money. Something like --> $5M, $6M, $10M, $10M and a $10M signing bonus and $20M guaranteed. One of those teams would pay that. We should not. We could but should not. 

HTTR!!!

Maybe he can't get a flight out to Oakland until Tuesday... :unsure:

I just don't see Wa doling out as much as the Raiders or Jets would. His old coach Reid is in KC and Chiefs are in desperate need of WR help. DeSean will get at least $9m @ year; Skins have been frugal and I think that they stay that way.

A link at OverTheTop for WR salaries; http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=WR

Make your own call where you think he is going to fit in on that list.

I don't rightfully know where he'll end up on that list. What I do know is that even though lately Snyder has been good about the contracts he hands out he could revert back to the old ways. Yeah the Raiders are in play for him  but they've spent a lot of $$$ already & besides they don't have an owner like we do. If Danny boy wanted to he could blow Davis out of the water. & don't worry KC is out. They won't be going after him. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000338080/article/desean-jackson-wont-sign-with-kansas-city-chiefs 

I'm supportive of signing Jackson but if he comes with baggage then no thanks. We don't need the headache. If he doesn't then Why not? Garcon on 1 side & Jackson on the other with Moss in the slot. Sprinkle in a little Alfred for good measure & ice the entire cake with RG3. We could be the most dangerous O in the NFL. NE who?....Seattle what?.... I'd gladly cut as many guys as needed to make room for DJ's contract.  Goodness knows we have enough dead weight on the team already. I don't know fellas....this one might be the one to jump on....

HTTR!!!

as much as  jackson has burned us in the past it might be a good idea to get him on our side but the gang question is puzzling .

you always deny any reports of negetive whether true or not wonder what is the truth of the matter ?

at this point it might be something like some family member that is part of the gang rumor not him , so go for it if they can fit his contract into the plan.

Riding out to get coffee this morning I heard some news on Jackson's involvement with gangs and it goes like this, please excuse that I don't remember gang names or rapper names. A young teenager from a rival gang while riding a bicycle flashed his signs at a passing car of other rival gang members who chased him down and filled his chest full of bullets. The trigger man has been seen in numerous pictures with Jackson as he was an aspiring rapper who was recording through Jackson's recording label( purposedly avoided using jack in it's name opting for jacc because the ck was code for Crypt Killer which is the gang he was related to). Anyway, we know how much of an asset he would be to our team and a chance for him to torch the Eagles each time we played him.....but, we are still on a budget and I doubt he's going to take a huge cut just to get revenge on the Eagles more precisely Chip Kelly. Here's the written article that tells some of the interview I heard this morning.

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2014/03/report-lapd-has-linked-two-murders-to-gang-associates-of-desean-jackson.html

Are we that far removed from #21 that we don't remember the off-field problems he had? There was one summer we didn't even know for a while if he would be playing for us, or if he would be in prison (after the gun charges stemming from his trucks being stolen). He changed didn't he? Turned his life around, right? That's what everyone close to him was saying. So why can't D-Jax? His buddy (the rapper on his label) was acquitted and not found to be the shooter. The guy he was with was found guilty. How is that Jackson's problem? I get the whole "He should choose who he hangs out with better", but there are tons of players in the league that have shady friends. It's the media needing a story. Has everyone forgotten about Ray Lewis? His involvement in a double homicide, even though he was acquitted, seemed to just fade away? Now he's a future HOFer and regarded highly in the community. What is Jackson accused of? Taking some pictures with a few friends that may or may not be up to no good. I hated D-Jax as much as the next Skins fan when we played him. But, if he can help our team, let's sign him.

Hey guys , been a long time . This DeSean thing is crazy . IMO he should be signed . Look Chip Kelly hates him , and tried to ruin his career . You know how many bad people i have taken a picture with ? Does that mean i actually agree with there life style ? My friend went out with me one weekend , and the next he was in jail for murder . While we were at the club , we took many pictures . See were I'm going with this ? Am i a murderer ? No no no , and for anyone to suggest so a thing is simply nuts . Same with DeSean . The man love the people he grew up with , and last i checked , that's not a crime . hahahhaha just to funny . Were was DeSean when that murder happen ? Probably at practice or working out . ........Now lets here the positive side of signing DeSean . The draft , we wouldn't have to even think about a WR , we could trade back , and pick up that safety from Northern illinois . Then by trading back we pick up a third round pick . RT , and Guard would be my choice in the third . DeSean , Garcon , Reed, Roberts ,Morris , And RG3 being a threat to take off would be unstoppable . .....Pay the man ...Oh , and Eagles , DeSean ...Oh you have already met ? hahahahhah Pay the man

Archived