Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY TIMES Redskins Slipping Away From Spurrier

TK

Originally posted by codeorama

Well, if Spurrier can't even run the team the way he wants, how can he be expected to win games. I've been on the assumpton that everything was OK in terms of the front office and coaching, but unless this article is a huge exaggeration, Snyder is the meddling owner that everyone makes him out to be, and the bottom line there is that this organization is doomed regardless of who the coach is.

I have no doubt this article is accurate. Dan Snyder did not get the reputation he has just because people are out to get him. And, if any paper is going to be very careful about the validity of their stories, it's the New York Times.

People need to stop defending Snyder and realize that he is the problem.

Originally posted by GGB81

I have no doubt this article is accurate. Dan Snyder did not get the reputation he has just because people are out to get him. And, if any paper is going to be very careful about the validity of their stories, it's the New York Times.

People need to stop defending Snyder and realize that he is the problem.

If the story is true, I feel really sorry for Spurrier. He's in a no win situation that I don't think he expected to be in.

If it's true, we will be lucky if Spurrier lasts through this season; now he has only 1 way to come out of this situation without looking like a complete NFL failure; quit and complain that the owner would not stop meddling in his business, and claim that this is why he failed. I don't see Spurrier staying next year unless we go 7-2 from here and make the playoffs, which is NOT HAPPENING! Don't think I have ever been more frustrated as a Redskins fan (since 1971), probably because of the talent of this team, as well as the continued disappointments over the last 12 years. :puke:

Originally posted by GGB81

It really is the only way Spurrier is able to save face--Snyder has painted him into that corner by making all of these decisions without consulting him...bringing in coaches without letting him meet with him...

He wants him to quit so he doesn't have to pay him the $$ Spurrier wanted DW and they bring in a QB that has never thrown a pass :paranoid:

Originally posted by Yomar

The most depressing part is that there is a good chance Dan Snyder will be the owner of the Redskins for the rest of my life and that just sucks

You said it man.

And let's see...how many teams have had as many or more coahces than the Redskins since Snyder took over? 8-8, 8-8, 7-9...

Does any team have less players on its roster from 1999? Let's see...Jansen...Terrell...I believe that's the list. Yeah, I'm loving the Snyder era.

I honestly don't get the Snyder apologists. Redskin Park has become a consistent soap opera. Let me ask you all a question. Is the team better with Dan Snyder was running it? I remember the big deal we made about Deion and Bruce Smith. We had no shot during those days, and right now it looks like more of the same.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned, Dan Snyder, despite himself (insert obligitory "he wants to win" excuse here) consistently creates an atmosphere around the team that is counter-productive towards winning.

Originally posted by Yomar

I honestly don't get the Snyder apologists. Redskin Park has become a consistent soap opera. Let me ask you all a question. Is the team better with Dan Snyder was running it? I remember the big deal we made about Deion and Bruce Smith. We had no shot during those days, and right now it looks like more of the same.

Bottom line as far as I'm concerned, Dan Snyder, despite himself (insert obligitory "he wants to win" excuse here) consistently creates an atmosphere around the team that is counter-productive towards winning.

If people really wanted this team to be successful, they would really hate Dan Snyder...

Seriously, if Dan Snyder is a good owner, then who is a bad owner? Who sucks? Sure, I'll give you Bill Bidwell and up until this year, the Brown family in Cincy...but other than that, I'd take any other owner in the league.

Snyder has done what an owner is suppose to do. An owner is suppose to give the coaches the talent to win. Snyder has done that. Bottom line is it's Spurrier job to make this thing work. I think we are spoiled as fans. Every year Snyder makes moves to get us excited. What else do you want? Dallas isn't made at their owner. He's over bearing, and wants to win. Is there a problem with Jones as an owner?

If Snyder did what Jones did--hire a proven NFL coach and then let him do his job unencumbered--then I would be happy. We are light years away from that here. We lose 3 in a row and we have consultants coming in, leaks to the local papers about it, and the friggin circus.

I want stability. I want the head coach to have autonomy. I want to build through the draft. I want to win. If its Spurrier's job to make things work, Snyder has to let Spurrier do his job. He has to stay out of personnel decisions during the season. If he wants to be the GM in the off-season then so be it, I like some of his decisions (ie Coles and Ramsey). But he has to have the ability to allow his head coach to run the team during the season or he has to can the pretense and grab a clipboard. If at the end of three years or whatever he feels its time to make a move, then thats acceptable, but wanting to get his fingerprints all over the place whenever the team hits a rough patch has to stop.

Well, I'll give an Eagles' fan perspective. I dislike the guy because I basically think he's a jerk. He's basically my age, and I'm fine with the fact that he's a billionaire and I'm not. No really, I'm fine with it, dammit. But I think he tends to treat people like dirt.

But setting that aside, I think that he's bad for the team. He did light a fire under Norv's butt in his first year and the result was a playoff team. He had a good foundation but instead of trying to improve it he went nuts with Deion et al. I got a little worried when he hired Schottenheimer because all kidding aside, I thought that Marty would create a solid rival. But then he fired him. I got a little nervous when he hired Spurrier, but it seems now that even though the Eagles are not what they were, Spurrier has a team in mutiny. We're dealing with a lot of hearsay and rumors, so it's hard to sort the truth from the lies. But it seems that Snyder is impatient, and has inadvertently reduced Spurrier's standing among his players. If these rumors are true (admittedly a big 'if'), he meddles too much and is too impetuous. IMHO, if he still has full faith in Spurrier, then he should let Spurrier do his job. Every team has highs and lows; if there's a larger plan you just gotta ride out the bad times. Let Spurrier fix things, and if he can't, let him and Cerrato address those needs in the offseason.

But what the hell, since I'm bloviating, why stop here? I think some of the problem is with SS. Look at the Skins - on paper you should be solid everywhere except defensive line. And yet you have a losing record right now, your OL is getting Ramsey killed, the defense is making a lot of stupid penalties (unsportsmanlike conduct, etc.) I just don't think SS is getting the best out of his players. Just my take.

Welcome to sports people. Snyder wants to win. Look at his background and how he made his money. I really feel if Snyder believed that he had competent people around him that he would leave everything alone. But you cant argue with results. I'll admit I hated when he fired Schot for SS, but if you want proven track record you can't go any futher than Spurrier. He won in the USFL, Duke (of all places) and finally Florida. Spurrier had used car sales men lead his teams to championship games. Snyder has done a good job with the draft since he's been here. Gone were the days of Desmond Howard, and crew. Since he's been here we got Bailey, Samuels, Arrington, Smoot, and the list goes on. All of these players, potentially have a shot at the Hall of Fame. Snyder is the best thing that's happened to us. Atleast we're competitive. Up until the team quit on Spurrier, we were in every game. Come on, stop the hating.

A couple of points, above all others I blame Charlie Casserly for the 90s, but he still gets credit for Champ and Jansen. Marty gets credit for Smoot, but Snyder/Cerrato get credit for Samuels, Arrington and most importantly, Ramsey. I don't love Snyder as GM, but he has shown himself to be tolerable in that aspect (although he is far from an asset). Spurrier was Snyder's "guy". Marty, Snyder told us at his press conference was his "guy" too, but Spurrier was "really his guy". If thats the case, then step aside and let your guy do his job. The chaos, the rumors, the lack of organizational structure all end up on Snyder's head. He runs the organization and since he has, the organization has been in constant flux. Stablility, a clearly defined chain of command, and most of all patience, these are the things most sorely lacking under Snyder's reign and until this changes, the Redskins will have a tough time building a winner

Just a thought -- Cooke was considered an insufferable **** as well when he was first starting out. He turned out pretty well in the long run...

I think to some extent you have to be a mean son of a ***** in order to make the money that Snyder et al have made over the years...

-s

I hear you about that. Snyder has to show more patients. I feel he has though. In his first few years he would lash out to the media. Now I feel he is more tolerant. i havent heard a peep from him yet. You also have to credit Snyder with Coles, and restructing the whole NFL idea of Restricted Free agents. Snyder is a trend setter, I thought Spurrier was too. The one thing I think Spurrier is truly missing is his swagger. At first Spurrier was confident in his system. Now he seems determined to prove his system works no matter what. But he has lost his swagger. Until he can regain his confidence then Snyder should have a heavy hand in regards to the Redskins. In NFL, like life if your not cofident people will step all over you. And eventhough Snyder 5'6 he'll step all over Spurrier.

I do think Spurrier gets frustrated too easily and lets it effect his playcalling. But Snyder having a heavy hand does not help things in my opinion, I think this is a time for patience, and I think no matter what the next year and a half is time for patience. Then would be a good time to make a decision. This is essentially the team we are committed to for the next couple of years, now is not a good time to start shaking things up.

There were alot of horror stories about Jerry Jones in 1989,90 too. Now, looking back I realize alot of them were probably exaggerated as well. The press is trying to exploit small pieces of information into these "circuses" everyone keeps mentioning. It's a way to keep their newspapers selling and people watching their programs. Jerry Jones used to be the hated owner, now its ours. It'll just make it that much sweeter when we hoist the trophy in the faces of those same haters...who'll of course love us then.

Accurate? Take a look at that article again. Take a close look at the headline and then the"story". How does the author prove his point. BY disussing the ST's meeting without quoting a source? Quoting a player about how S.S. starts off a sentence? Pretty much it. Give the author credit though. Gave a dissenting opinion in the form of Cerrato and even a quote. Which pretty much killed alot of the point of the article. Simply cross reference some of the things heard and said and see what happens. Find out that things just aren't as they are painted by many in the media.

:cheers:

Sigh. Why do I just know that the S.S. interview on the board now won't change a thing for some?

Archived