Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jurgenson = Hall of Fame???

Charlie Murphaaay

Originally posted by orlskinsfan

some day it will happen...maybe he will get in the same time art monk will

:doh:

He's already in. Was a first ballot guy, I believe.

You guys forgot to mention the MOST important thing - I believe he retired as the NFL's all time leading passer. He might still be that if rules hadn't changed later to benefit the offense (namely the 5-yd no contact rule).

I remember someone once saying Sonny was the best pure passer ever.

I know I've seen film with him tossing it behind his back downfield in practice; a perfect strike.

If he was healthy and playing, Miami would of had a much, much tougher time going undefeated I think.

Kilmer was gritty and tough as nails but they coined the phrase "wounded duck" to describe his passes. Of course that's assuming George allen would let Sonny play; they weren't exactly buddies.

Vince Lombardi:

"Jurgensen is a great quarterback, he hangs in there under adverse conditions. He may be the best the league has ever seen. He is the best I have seen." "If I'd had him in Green Bay, we would never have lost a game"

Sam Huff:

"He could change speeds on the ball like a baseball pitcher — even throw a screwball, some quarterbacks could throw a great short pass, some were good with the long ball, but very few could do both — Sonny could."

Bobby Mitchell:

"Sonny could hit a gnat from 50 yards away. I never saw anyone handle a team like Sonny. I used to rate [baltimore Colts quarterback] Johnny Unitas as the best field general I ever saw, but I might change that to Sonny — there was definitely no comparison between them in throwing the football."

mug1259.jpg

Originally posted by rellim

I basically didn't see him play at all, and I wanted to know what he did to get into the HOF. No disrespect for Sonny intended, but I had heard that G. Allen didn't like Sonny much and that Sammy Bough was much better.

Well you are correct in that G Allen did not like Sonny. Don't know why. Allen forced Sonny to retire.

Very few people could run a team like Sonny. Master field general. In those days, they called their own plays in the huddle

As for Sammy, two completely different eras. Sammy was in the 30's and 40's.

Sammy Adrian Baugh. . .Two-time TCU All-America. . .No. 1 draft choice, 1937. . .Split career between tailback, T-quarterback. . . Premier passer who influenced great offensive revolution. . .All-NFL seven years. . . NFL passing, punting, interception champ, 1943. . .Six-time NFL passing leader. . . History's top punter. . .Career records: 21,886 yards, 187 TDs passing, 45.1-yard punting average, 31 interceptions. . .Born March 17, 1914, in Temple, Texas.

http://www.profootballhof.com/index.cfm?section=team&cont_id=player&personnel_id=1172&roster_id=42

Sonny was in the 60's and 70's.

Christian Adolph Jurgensen, III. . .Exceptional passer, superb team leader, intelligent, determined, competitive, poised against pass rush. . .Career 82.625 passing rating. . .Won three NFL individual passing titles. . .Surpassed 3,000 yards in five seasons, 300 yards in 25 games, 400 yards in five games. . .Career totals: 2,433 completions, 32,224 yards, 255 touchdowns. . .Excelled in spite of numerous injuries. . . Born August 23, 1934, in Wilmington, North Carolina.

http://www.profootballhof.com/index.cfm?section=team&cont_id=player&personnel_id=1259&roster_id=42

Terry hit the nail on the head.

All you need to know about Jurgensen is that Vince Lombardi (who had his own HOF QB in GB), while watching film on him in the offseason prior to coaching the Redskins, said "Good God! If we'd only had him with the Packers...".

FWIW, Namath considered him the best QB in the NFL, too.

I can't say for sure that the Redskins would have beaten the Dolphins in the Super Bowl with Jurgensen under center, but he would have shredded the defense the Dolphins played that day. They dared Kilmer to throw, focussing on the run. Kilmer just couldn't beat them with his arm. He missed a wide-open Jerry Smith in the end zone when he hit the goal post (when it was on the goal line). He then threw a pick in the end zone. Jurgensen stills tells Shula that the Dolphins only went undefeated because he got hurt, and Shula is smart enough to know that there is no way they could have played that style against Jurgensen.

Archived