Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if this was RG3's rookie year?

CapnRedskins

Same stats, same record. Only last year. Obviously this hypothetical scenario means no injury or knee brace. It also means the team is coming off a 5-11 season with no expectations.

I'm just curious. If this is exactly how Robert Griffin III played in his rookie season, what would you think? Would it be, "oh hey he's just a rookie" or would it be the same "He's a bust. Put in Kirk Cousins!" BS that we're seeing now. I'm not denying RG3 is having a pretty poor season but some people are acting like he doesn't even know how to tie his own cleats.

Would you focus on the few positives and hope those are the sign of things to come or have your typical doomsday attitude?

So you want to ignore his injury and me give you my opinion right? If so I would be even more depressed then I am today because I am placing much blame on his struggles this year on his injury. If he was not recovering from an injury and playing this poorly I would see pictures of Ryan Leaf and Jarmarcus Russell and all of the other high 1st round draft pick busts in my head. I am holding out hope that more recovery time equals us seeing the Griffin of 2012 but if this is as good as it is ever going to get then we are in deep waters with no life preserver.

So you want to ignore his injury and me give you my opinion right? If so I would be even more depressed then I am today because I am placing much blame on his struggles this year on his injury. If he was not recovering from an injury and playing this poorly I would see pictures of Ryan Leaf and Jarmarcus Russell and all of the other high 1st round draft pick busts in my head. I am holding out hope that more recovery time equals us seeing the Griffin of 2012 but if this is as good as it is ever going to get then we are in deep waters with no life preserver.

If this were his rookie season you would really think he is playing THAT bad? 

If this were his rookie season you would really think he is playing THAT bad? 

Honestly yes. Besides the point of what it cost and what this team lost to acquire him I can not hide my head under sand and ignore that many other QB's taken in that 2012 draft class are performing better then Griffin now

Ryan Tannehill

Russell Wilson

Nick Foles

All of these QB's were drafted after we took Griffin and looked much better then he has this season. Then there are guys who have yet to play who might one day be better then this years Griffin to consider

Brock Osweiler

Kirk Cousins

Chandler Harnish

And even undrafted Case Keenum from the 2012 draft has at times done more and performed better then Griffin has this season. When you have a draft class like this which on paper appears to be loaded with talent and equipped with the knowledge that we haven't even seen all of the 2012 class yet the trade for the 2013 Griffin looks incredibly foolish.

When you consider only the 2013 Griffin that trade looks foolish. When you realize that Griffin was the 2012 Rookie of the Year award winner and played completely different from the 2013 version the trade does not. I am posting with the assumption that I am only to look at the 2013 version and ignore his 2012 season

Another question I have is what if he actually had sucked ala a Jamarcus Russell?

Dude won ROTY, the NFC East and would have beaten the Seattle Seahawks (if not for some terrible luck) in the first home playoff win in more than a decade and some fans are still on the fence about him b/c he was part of team with a coach that literally didn't want to even try.

What would this place be like if he had played like Geno Smith this year last year?

We as fans are insanely lucky.

Griffin hasn't even had THAT bad of a season. Yea he's made mistakes but he's had a lot more pressure on him this year. Eli Manning has been playing worse but his team has a better record. It's the team as a whole that is not performing well. Our special teams was absolutely horrible last week and has been bad all year. This year we have the worst net starting field position out of anyone in the NFL in the past 11 years!! Almost all teams that finish last in net field position end up between 1-15 to 4-12.

Griffin hasn't even had THAT bad of a season. Yea he's made mistakes but he's had a lot more pressure on him this year. Eli Manning has been playing worse but his team has a better record. It's the team as a whole that is not performing well. Our special teams was absolutely horrible last week and has been bad all year. This year we have the worst net starting field position out of anyone in the NFL in the past 11 years!! Almost all teams that finish last in net field position end up between 1-15 to 4-12.

Interesting stat you found there..  Is this documented anywhere and how far back did you go?

Interesting stat you found there..  Is this documented anywhere and how far back did you go?

It was from an article I read dated in late November. I'll have to look for it. But it showed the worst teams each year since 2002 because 2002 was the last season anyone had a worse number than us. Last year's worst net team was the Eagles.

These what-ifs are hard to get a handle on.

At first I thought the OP's imagined case would be a better scenario, especially because it involves Griffin being injury free, but also because we could chalk it up to typical rookie year growing pains. Griffin's RoY campaign seems to have overinflated our expectations, or something to that effect.

However, upon further consideration I'm not so sure I would feel better about our situation in the given scenario.

At least last year we saw evidence that our absurdly costly franchise QB could succeed at this level. In this what-if we wouldn't even have that to hang our hat on.

Put it this way: would it be better to have a QB who succeeded then regressed, or would it be better to have a QB who never succeeded? I'll take the former. It is better to have loved and lost . . .

There will be better days.

If I were griffin I would close myself off to the fans and media. Would only sign autographs or interview only when required. Would say only vanilla stuff when interviewed. But he's so egotistical he won't.

since when is our QB suddenly so egotistical? 

Did I miss something or do people equate RGIII being marketed a lot to having a giant ego, moreso than regular pro athletes? Strikes me as odd that so many members of this fanbase are already slamming his character despite him not doing anything harmful to the team, and being no different than most top athletes.

Honestly yes. Besides the point of what it cost and what this team lost to acquire him I can not hide my head under sand and ignore that many other QB's taken in that 2012 draft class are performing better then Griffin now

Ryan Tannehill

Russell Wilson

Nick Foles

All of these QB's were drafted after we took Griffin and looked much better then he has this season. Then there are guys who have yet to play who might one day be better then this years Griffin to consider

Brock Osweiler

Kirk Cousins

Chandler Harnish

And even undrafted Case Keenum from the 2012 draft has at times done more and performed better then Griffin has this season. When you have a draft class like this which on paper appears to be loaded with talent and equipped with the knowledge that we haven't even seen all of the 2012 class yet the trade for the 2013 Griffin looks incredibly foolish.

When you consider only the 2013 Griffin that trade looks foolish. When you realize that Griffin was the 2012 Rookie of the Year award winner and played completely different from the 2013 version the trade does not. I am posting with the assumption that I am only to look at the 2013 version and ignore his 2012 season

Brock Osweiler? Really? This is not Madden, so where is there any evidence at all that Brock would look good enough to even make you regret getting RGIII if last year never happened? RGIII still is completing 60% of his passes, 16 TDs to 12 INTs and over 3,000 yards. Yet you think Osweiler might be better why? He had measurables out of college? I don't understand that. By that line of thinking, nearly half the QB prospects coming out in the draft could be better than RGIII if you think those guys could be better, even not considering RGIII's rookie season.

Archived