Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins-Steelers: 4 Keys To The Game

Some are suggesting that the pre-season be reduced to 3 games. The problem with that approach is there is no minor league to weed out the players that can play and those that can't. The college games help with the rookies, but the impressions are frequently wrong when a player moves to the next level. For the vets, the normal slow down the impact from past physical problems is something you have to observe. Even the 4 preseason games and the preseason practices are a short period to identify abilities. While I don't see it changing, I could be wrong.

The Steeler game is the 2nd chance for a player to get it right. I would guess the coaches will be taking a hard look at what rookies are going to contribute, who are going to be the backups, and who is going to be the RT. I would assume that the 3rd game will give us some insight into what the coaches think & the 4th game will finalize it.

Some are suggesting that the pre-season be reduced to 3 games. The problem with that approach is there is no minor league to weed out the players that can play and those that can't. The college games help with the rookies, but the impressions are frequently wrong when a player moves to the next level. For the vets, the normal slow down the impact from past physical problems is something you have to observe. Even the 4 preseason games and the preseason practices are a short period to identify abilities. While I don't see it changing, I could be wrong. The Steeler game is the 2nd chance for a player to get it right. I would guess the coaches will be taking a hard look at what rookies are going to contribute, who are going to be the backups, and who is going to be the RT. I would assume that the 3rd game will give us some insight into what the coaches think & the 4th game will finalize it.

Many people were suggesting going to 2 games. I offered 3 games as a compromise. All is settled by the third game. This is proven out by the fact that few if any starters play in the 4th game. Mostly, final roster spots are decided, but those players are 2nd, 3rd or PS players. Most will never play an NFL down. It does provide those trying to make teams get something on tape so they can try to make another team.

The problem is charging people full price for those games, especially a meaningless 4th game when everyone knows none of the starters are not going to play. If they want to drop the price to exhibition prices like 20% of season games, then have all you want.

The problem is charging people full price for those games, especially a meaningless 4th game when everyone knows none of the starters are not going to play. If they want to drop the price to exhibition prices like 20% of season games, then have all you want.

Hail goskins, as a season ticket holder, I was told that there is discussion currently going about reducing the preseason ticket prices. While that is small consolation given it should have never been charged at the same price as a regular season ticket; it gives some hope they are wising up. Every game I've watched on preseason so far looks less than half full and the prices are causing black outs in many local areas. So the hypocrisy of the NFL is how they over charge and then take the game away from the fans on TV when they can't sell out. Loyalty can only be stretched so far and the NFL needs to be ease on the greed. 

Interesting article below that also hints on your approach to a 17-3 regular/preseason format.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/23067733/report-nfl-to-examine-preseason-could-lower-ticket-prices

Well, tonight I gonna keep my eye on the secondary in particular Jose Gumbs, Minnifield, and Frank Murphy. Gumbs for obvious reasons (I want doughty off the team lol), and Josh Wilson is said to be in danger of being cut. I think we'll all get a chance to see RB J. Jamison tonight which is nice!

@ hawk - Nice article. It will be interesting what they have to say.

Just heard John Gruden say he would offer a 1st rd draft pick for Cousins!  Question for the group, would you take it? If some team offered a 1st would you do it?

I would not, Not this year. If they added a 3rd or something then maybe. But we have a great situation at QB. Why mess it up? JMO!!

Well, tonight I gonna keep my eye on the secondary in particular Jose Gumbs, Minnifield, and Frank Murphy. Gumbs for obvious reasons (I want doughty off the team lol), and Josh Wilson is said to be in danger of being cut. I think we'll all get a chance to see RB J. Jamison tonight which is nice!

hail dreday if the youngsters play real well dhall also might be in danger,doughty is like super glue ,sticking everywhere but where you want it. looking to see what jamison can do also

Just heard John Gruden say he would offer a 1st rd draft pick for Cousins!  Question for the group, would you take it? If some team offered a 1st would you do it?

I would not, Not this year. If they added a 3rd or something then maybe. But we have a great situation at QB. Why mess it up? JMO!!

hail goskins, 1 st round for cousins is what we are looking for but i;m with you not this year we would have ole rex as a backup and that's not a good thing. hope white does well again so we could either keep him or pick up a drat pick for him

I agree with not dealing him this year unless they sweeten the pot.  I think we his replacement before we deal him.  If Griffin should get injured again we could be back to Rex and you should know how I feel about that lol.  With that said also if Pat White continues to shine, that could also give us more sanity at the QB position lol.

Dreday's dream team - Rex at QB and Doughty at Safety - LOL   Sorry dre  could not help myself..... :)

Anyway, I would love to see White make the team. Even if he has practice squad eligibility I don't think he makes it. So he has to make the 53. He can really help the D prepare for other teams running the read option/pistol. No one will pick up rex. Release him and he will be there if you need him.

Dre, you know Mike ain't gonna cut Doughty! Can't wait to see the rookie rbs too as well Nick Williams, Tony Pashos, Tim Compton, should keep everybody busy keeping up with the players.

Dreday's dream team - Rex at QB and Doughty at Safety - LOL   Sorry dre  could not help myself..... :)

Anyway, I would love to see White make the team. Even if he has practice squad eligibility I don't think he makes it. So he has to make the 53. He can really help the D prepare for other teams running the read option/pistol. No one will pick up rex. Release him and he will be there if you need him.

Like Rex said- ''they are going to drag me kicking and screaming out of the league''

I wouldn't take even a 1st and 3rd round pick right now. Realistically, we don't know how RG3's knee will hold up. What happens if he goes down for the season again? Until he plays a full season with the knee showing no issues then I don't think we should trade Cousins. I do understand that  after this season you may be running out of leverage on a good Cousins trade who would be come a free agent after his 4th season here. However, there is still plenty of time and we are in very good spot with our QB depth which is something I can't recall feeling since the early 90s. Let Cousins build up his resume if he must start in some games this year. Next season we could be looking a two 1st round pick offers. I maybe reaching right now but I don't think it is out of the question that Cousin's value could grow much higher than even one 1st round pick.

hey guys don't to bring this up again but look on page 2 and you will see that polo has been banned .

the moderators must have decided the warning post wasn't going to work/be good enough!!!

nice that the moderators are watching.

now it seems we are all itching  to watch the game tonight hope they win and players stand out so we can get an idea who makes it or not.

hey guys don't to bring this up again but look on page 2 and you will see that polo has been banned .

the moderators must have decided the warning post wasn't going to work/be good enough!!!

nice that the moderators are watching.

now it seems we are all itching  to watch the game tonight hope they win and players stand out so we can get an idea who makes it or not.

The ''one who shall remain nameless'' was always going to try and manipulate this system to ''fire up'' members to get in a insult battle. You could explain things to him, put the facts right there, but he would ignore facts prefering to be a sociopath that would center all discussions around himself. And if the other clownish fellow in N.C. shows up then we will take him to task as well.

Got my dvr set to record and watch this game.

My, My, anytime I flip over to the NFL Channel and see Donovan McNabb on I just can't listen to him, nor do I take any stock in anything he has said.

Looking forward to seeing how the team performs tonight. Among the many other things mentioned here, I hope that they can get penalties better under control

Hail HKMark - I see this is your first post!  Welcome to the neighborhood!  Lot's of good Redskins fans here, opinions to share, ideas to kick around! Glad you could make it! 

I agree about the penalties. It's typical early in the season for there to be more penalties, but 11 is a bit over the top. One thing is we do have a lot of young guys, but still you are right, it has to be corrected.

Is it September 9th yet???  Arrgh!!!! 

Redskins vs. Steelers: What to watch for

Running back Chris Thompson: He said he will play Monday night and return kickoffs. He is far from ready to field a punt in a game, but kickoffs could be a way for him to earn a spot. Thompson has been quiet during camp, whether because of his knee -- and having to sit out -- or because it can be difficult for running backs to flash during workouts when there’s no live tackling. He showed electric moves in college. Can he do the same in the NFL? The Redskins coaches were excited about him before camp. 

Backup running backs: Not just Thompson, but Roy Helu and Evan Royster. Helu had a good first game, though his best carries occurred vs. backups -– he was too fast to the hole early in the game. But what he did well was show his quickness, which should be a weapon as a third-down back. Will he get more yards than what are available? Is he running with his pads a little lower from scrimmage? Royster, right now, has to be considered the third back on the depth chart. He can do a little of everything. The problem for him is running behind a weak offensive front. 

The backup offensive line: The coaches like how second-year linemen Tom Compton andAdam Gettis have progressed, though they have yet to do anything in a real game. But both have shown signs of growth. Josh LeRibeus, on the other hand, needs to start showing a lot more. The Redskins say they like their depth up front. Is that confidence justified? More needs to be seen. 

Backup tight ends: Niles Paul and Jordan Reed in particular. Paul is coming off a good camp -- I remember just one dropped pass in practice. Reed showed flashes of his athleticism almost every day; sometimes the signs were obvious (twisting catches) and sometimes subtle (fakes on routes over the middle). The better these two progress, the more the offense eventually will open up. 

The secondary: The Steelers reportedly will play their starting offense around one quarter, though the line might stay in longer. Pittsburgh lost Mike Wallace, but still has quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and receiving threats, such as Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Markus Wheaton, to provide a good test for rookies David Amerson (corner) and Bacarri Rambo(safety) and first-year corner Chase Minnifield. It would be good for Rambo to be tested with his angles in run support, too. Just to see what he’s learned. The more these players see in games, the better. 

Defensive end Phillip Merling: He had a good showing in the opener and has pleased the coaches with what they’ve seen in practice, though most of his work has come against backups (often times LeRibeus). Merling has a chance to win a roster spot in part because of Jarvis Jenkins’ four-game suspension to open the season. The Redskins’ depth up front will be tested early. 

Ryan Kerrigan got himself an interception. Defensive starters playing well, run stuffers tonight. Offense hasn't figured it out yet. Due in part because the Steelers aren't letting Morris get a cut back lane and he can't get around the edge either, Steelers are playing Morris well.

Archived