Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

John Keim- ESPN NFC East Blog: Redskins 22, Titans 21: Ten Observations

21MadFan

I like comment #10 regarding the 2nd and 3rd string O-line:

"It helped that in the fourth quarter quarterback Pat White could scramble to avoid pressure"

Even our starters improve because of RGIII's mobility.  In the playoff game, when the Seattle D knew RGIII was hurt, they really collapsed the pocket. Monty looked like the Monty of two years ago when everyone called him a turnstile.  Polombus was even worse at RT. This is why I could see Pat White at #3 QB instead of Rex.  Our O-Line doesn't seem to be built around a classic pocket passer protection scheme.

This is a great write up.  Pretty much spot on.

I already have 'that feeling' about Cousins, like he's actually going to be really really good, but the comment I like the most is - "his mind seems to slow down amid chaos".   There is that rare person who might not even practice very well, but just gets that boost, that extra mental sharpness to perform great under pressure.  It either makes the perfect backup (certainly does), or means he's a really special player.  

It's worth noting, which the writer did, that Helu got better later, vs 3rd stringers.  It may be nothing, and he did some great things a couple years ago, but Alfred Morris is downright picture perfect for the intended style of this running game.  He still has the moves and speed, so I see a healthy Helu up in that Pistol next to RG3 perhaps, and just making the puzzle even harder to solve.  A big time 'toy' in this "do whatever the hell you want" offense we have.

As for the rookies in the secondary, I would argue safety is just plain very hard to play these days, whatever it is, the passing game, the athletes... we really just need 'solid' guys, and what better way than to raise rookies of our own, who know nothing but this 'new' difficult play for safeties.  Although It could still be coaching, or scheme, I think the best chance to fix it, long term, is to go this route, as painful as it may be at times.  

Amerson could be big time.  Speaking of 'new' secondary play, the big, long guys are looking good.  I made fun of Pete Carrol for getting a bunch of big secondary guys, just to have big secondary guys.  There may be a method to the madness, and I can't remember the last time we had a 'big scary corner' who stands up to big time receivers at the line of scrimmage.  Seems to have a little Deangelo on making plays on the ball;  he seems like the type to stand a guy up so a crowd can knock the ball loose.  On our team which already had a crazy (+17??) turnover ratio, could be a hell of an addition.

Quite possibly, the biggest problem on this team is penalties, which might as well be a good thing.  Superbowl champ Ravens led the league.  But it's not a bunch of cool late hits.  The numbers say false starts, and I saw with my own eyes how many times RG3 barked his own men to move.  I figured, then, they just had to get used to this awesome player who does it so well, but clearly it's just happening all the time, too much.  I think even in preseason you can judge such a thing as if it were a real game.  Still, if that's the biggest problem, then oh well.  We've had much bigger.

Archived