Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An Interesting Take on Kickers (Stay Medium Blog)

BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

Came across this on Twitter.

The author makes a lot of good points on why we cannot really know how good a kicker is from year to year. 

He always has some strong predictions on Kai Forbath's performance this season. As well as how important kickoffs are and why teams don't have kicking coaches.

Do you agree or disagree?

http://stayingmedium.blogspot.com/2013/08/on-problems-of-evaluating-field-goal.html#more

If you follow me on Twitter for some reason you may recall my objections to the general fan enthusiasm to cut Graham Gano or Billy Cundiff after every missed field goal or to praise Kai Forbath as a savior after every successful kick. You could be forgiven for thinking I was just being contrarian because I admit that's occasionally my thing. But I actually think the approach to evaluating field goal kickers - not only by fans and media but by NFL coaches as well - is deeply flawed in ways that will take more than 140 characters to discuss.

More at the link

For years the Redskins were losing games by small margins and were missing FG's all over the place.

Had Graham Gano been perfect in FG's in 2011 during games that we lost we would've won two more games then we did.

In 2010 we would have one an additional more and had gone to OT in another 3.

2009 we would've won two more had Shuisham performed better in losses

(obviously any one event changes how teams react so this isn't set in stone but this team usually doesn't get blown out even when we sucked)

You need a great kicker to win the SB almost as much as you need a great QB.  Ask Tom Brady.

I can tell the difference between a kicker who goes 22 of 35 and 31 of 35.  Kickers need to be at least 75%  at 45 yards and under and should increase by 5% as the yardage goes down.  I expect 50% from 46 yards and longer.  I understand the factors in every kick (weather, hold, hike, etc.) but a compitent kicker can hit the percentages I listed. 

I heard Billy Cundiff on the radio today, as he was asked whether he even bothered to buy a house or did he just rent, being he

was on like 40% of the NFL teams during his carrer { so far }.

It was mildly funny that he believes he's a good kicker, that he needs a complete season to 'become settled in; NEWS FLASH: a

kicker has limited time to get his crap together, especially in this league, as he has found out the hard way for the previous 12 teams.

Its not like they're on the field for more than, what, 14 seconds of an entire game? Its like golf; you have a limited timeline and chance

to prove you belong, or you go back to carrying the bags of golfers who DO prove they belong. 

Archived