Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nerd question - Terminal Services

hunterx

Hey quick question here...I have a need for 20 sales associates to use Internet Explorer on iPads. The software is only compatible with IE, so there is no workaround here.  It also uses flash.

Unfortunately they are gungho on this idea that they need iPads instead of a tablet like the Surface which has IE and is perfectly compatible.

I setup and installed a Terminal Server, confirmed that it is working internally with computers (haven't tested ipad yet).  However, I can't RDP into it externally.  I can ping the public/static IP but I can't RDP to it - it gives me the generic error as if there is no remote session being hosted. The only port that should be required is the RDP of 3389 which is already done...right?

I can't think of anything else, ideas?

Is the host listening on tcp 3389? Do a "netstat" to make sure. If it is, you've got a firewall issue most likely.

I believe you need to give user rights to log on remotely

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781509(v=ws.10).aspx

Been a long time since I set up a TS server, I do think my same issue was granting access rights.

Thanks guys, I will try this in the morning.  Out at a fundraiser tonight.  I will run netstat tomorrow, good idea on that.

It could be a firewall issue, or rights issue.  I didn't install any of the other TS roles like Gateway or Web.  If this cracks my head too much then I will go the VM route tomorrow...I am more familiar with that.  Terminal Service licenses might cost them less, though.

Definitely sounds like you are being blocked by the Firewall.  Since the IP is statically assigned you should be able to bypass the firewall using the IP.  Even once you get past this, since I'm guessing it is blocking you before its asking for any login credentials, you are going to run into the issues mentioned above with the user permissions.  

When you tested the RDP were you doing it from an iPad or just a PC on the network because that could play into why the error is popping it up as well.  

I know they sound like they are dead set on iPads but for business purposes any Microsoft tablet will be way more efficient.  If there is absolutely no way around the iPad there is going to be a lot of headaches and take a ton of creative solutions to get around issues like this.  You are basically paying for expensive mobile Thin Clients that wont even use the iOS when they can be getting the full use out of WIndows 8 tablets.

Definitely sounds like you are being blocked by the Firewall.  Since the IP is statically assigned you should be able to bypass the firewall using the IP.  Even once you get past this, since I'm guessing it is blocking you before its asking for any login credentials, you are going to run into the issues mentioned above with the user permissions.  

When you tested the RDP were you doing it from an iPad or just a PC on the network because that could play into why the error is popping it up as well.  

I know they sound like they are dead set on iPads but for business purposes any Microsoft tablet will be way more efficient.  If there is absolutely no way around the iPad there is going to be a lot of headaches and take a ton of creative solutions to get around issues like this.  You are basically paying for expensive mobile Thin Clients that wont even use the iOS when they can be getting the full use out of WIndows 8 tablets.

Unfortunately they already purchased 20 of them.  Now it's my job to get them working with IE, so using virtual machine is the only way I can think to do it.

They did the same with Mac PowerBooks...bought a few and we installed Parallels on them.  They don't use the Mac OS or applications for any work related business.  However, it is a headache for me because they don't grasp the fact that they have to select Parallels when they plug in usb devices like printers or storage devices.

It really is annoying.  One person has common sense...they purchased their own Surface to avoid these headaches.  Took me 30 minutes to get it setup with email, network folders and other random migration tasks. 

As perturbed said, use splashtop on the iPad, it's a small fee but better than rdp.

On the Mac, there are multiple free virtual machine players out there which should be transparent to the end user selecting anything when using USB.

Unfortunately they already purchased 20 of them.  Now it's my job to get them working with IE, so using virtual machine is the only way I can think to do it.

They did the same with Mac PowerBooks...bought a few and we installed Parallels on them.  They don't use the Mac OS or applications for any work related business.  However, it is a headache for me because they don't grasp the fact that they have to select Parallels when they plug in usb devices like printers or storage devices.

It really is annoying.  One person has common sense...they purchased their own Surface to avoid these headaches.  Took me 30 minutes to get it setup with email, network folders and other random migration tasks. 

If they have their own PCs you might want to just ditch the terminal server and have them RDP or use Team Viewer (free iPad App) to connect to their PCs.  Like you said you are pretty limited with what you can do with iPads, but VM may be the best route.

Archived