Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trust the Mechanic or what?

nonniey

Hey Gang

What would you do. Had my transmission link collar go out a couple of weeks ago. Had to get towed and then fixed. The place that fixed it (Tansmission linkage)returned the car with new warning lights . The ABS, Brake and traction lights were on. They intitially thought it might be a loose fuze then called back saying they didn't cause the problem. I picked up the car took it to my own regular mechanic (had broke down 75 miles away). My guys said the ABS computer had been shot and probably was damaged during the work on the transmission linkage but couldn't definatively state that was the case (They weren't there). I contacted the other mechanics Boss who I caught in two lies (He said the lights were on prior to being towed, I knew they weren't) and stated two tow trucks had went to that job and filled out paperwork claiming lights were on (only one tow had gone). I pointed out inconsistancies and asked him if he'd prefer I call USAA and just get them to drop them as a towing service. He asked me to bring the car in so his mechanics could look to see what the problem is.

Issue should I take the car in? It is a $1500 problem that I don't absolutely have to get fixed (I won't have anit-lock braking anymore - which makes the car less safe and me more liable). If I take it in I suspect he is still going to claim they didn't damage the car and may sabotage something in retaliation ahead of me getting their towing service use terminated by USAA . But that is my only chance I will get $1500 worth of damage repaired.

Yeah that is what I told the Mrs. I guess I'll find out.

Many people blindly believe mechanics and they in turn reward that fee by ratcheting up costs or inventing problems. I once discovered a mechanic who bent a piece of metal under my car so that I would suddenly hear the brake problem he diagnosed.

When I went to a different mechanic they pointed it out. I thought it an awfully strange coincidence that the guy said I should hear a squeal which I had never heard before and after this visit it was loud and omnipresent.

Not all mechanics are crooks, but not all of them are honest either.

I don't think a transmission linkage has anything to do with the ABS system. Unless its a weird setup that linkage should be quite simple to fix. It sounds like the damage may have been done during towing.

You're correct but when they took out the transmission linkage cable at some point they likely touched the computer power cables shorting out the ABS computer (according to the other mechanics).

Archived