Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HTTR24-7.com; Day 1 and 2 Impressions From The 2013 Underwear Olympics (Scouting Combine)

KCClybun

combine.jpg

• I made the comment to LL yesterday that most of the linemen we saw yesterday were built less like the typical offensive linemen and more like tight ends. There wasn’t a bad body out of the bunch, aside from maybe Chance Warmack, who looked like the most “prototypical” offensive linemen on the field. It’s a good year to be in the market for an offensive linemen; there’s some legitimate talent to be had and molded.

Click here to read more

A couple of questions from reading this about the current roster...

Is Helu being cut a foregone conclusion at this point? I haven't read much about him, but seem to recall some tweets from insiders that suggest that he is really far behind in any sort of recovery effort. Is he at risk to never play again? Or is it the type of thing where we can't afford to keep him around long enough to become effective again?

Did the Shannahans sour on Aldrick Robinson? Seemed like he was ready to break out, but I realize his highlight-reel-long-bomb-TDs from last season were mostly due to the read option and RG3/ALF running threat. The speculation at WR has piqued my interest on his future with the team.

I know Shanny's M.O. is to draft a mid or late round RB, but with Morris setting records, Royster coming back, and Helu coming off an injury, I don't think we'll draft one this year.

There's plenty of talent in the areas we need, so I think we'll load up on those, and maybe get a mid round WR.

A couple of questions from reading this about the current roster...

Is Helu being cut a foregone conclusion at this point? I haven't read much about him, but seem to recall some tweets from insiders that suggest that he is really far behind in any sort of recovery effort. Is he at risk to never play again? Or is it the type of thing where we can't afford to keep him around long enough to become effective again?

Did the Shannahans sour on Aldrick Robinson? Seemed like he was ready to break out, but I realize his highlight-reel-long-bomb-TDs from last season were mostly due to the read option and RG3/ALF running threat. The speculation at WR has piqued my interest on his future with the team.

If Helu can't get healthy then it's all the more likely we take another running back to replace him. The fact that he was put on I.R in September and he's still dealing with his foot injury is worrying; he could get better by camp, but one on the knocks on him coming out of Nebraska was that he always was just a tiny bit knicked up. It's less of an issue if Alfred Morris is the bell cow, but you need an insurance policy.

As for Aldrick, his thing is route running. The thing with the uber fast guys is that it's harder for them to slow down and get in and out of breaks without also telegraphing their movements. When your that fast you tend to chop your feet and roll in and out of routes instead of cutting on a dime, which limits the kind of route tree he can run. His first season was about getting him to trust his hands; this year is about getting him to keep that speed while slowing down. It sounds weird, but it makes sense. Watch Santana play in his younger days and you see what I mean.

I know Shanny's M.O. is to draft a mid or late round RB, but with Morris setting records, Royster coming back, and Helu coming off an injury, I don't think we'll draft one this year.

There's plenty of talent in the areas we need, so I think we'll load up on those, and maybe get a mid round WR.

Shanahan is like one of guys at the car lot though that has a thing for certain models, his model is RB and if he sees one he values he will take him IMO. I would agree with you in principal, but would not be surprised to see him grab one late.

---------- Post added February-25th-2013 at 12:44 PM ----------

If Helu can't get healthy then it's all the more likely we take another running back to replace him.

As for Aldrick, his thing is route running. .

I thought blocking was a huge part of his playing time?

Helu's health and Royster's value are both very much in question. If Morris were to go down, we can't really count on either of those guys. He'll draft another.

Good write up of what I've read so far, I'll finish it later, but on OL I'm glad you mentioned Quessenberry, he's one of those guys flying under the radar who I like, but two other names maybe worth throwing about are Bakhtiari (or however the hell you spell it), and Hawkinson. Hawkinson was very fast and athletic, but I think he lacks strength and technique. He's someone who might turn out good with time, but he really needs time.

Bakhtiari wasn't quite as fast as some, but still pretty solid in terms of athleticism, and has decent strength. Both are either redshirt juniors or Seniors, and Hawkinson got some awards as well.

EDIT: Also, where is Wheaton in the WR section? He's going to be really dangerous for some team from the get-go, and could be a monster if he develops just a bit further. When looking at WRs, Williams is the outside WR I have my eyes on most, while Wheaton is a sort of slot+more guy I watch most.

I think both Williams and Wheaton might be gone by the time we pick, but if either are there and we're looking at WR, I'm running to the podium.

EDIT2: One more thing on Wheaton I noticed, one of the knocks on him was that he got most of his yards on short passes and screens.

Guess what we run a ton of?

Archived