Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did RGIII tearing his ACL in college acually help protect from a worse injury this week?

21MadFan

So I was thinking about how these days that after a playing has a knee injury the knee is actually stronger after surgery a lot of times (Peterson for example). I'm not a doctor of anything but is there a chance that his previous torn ACL might of saved him from a worse injury this time around?

The "Stronger" you refer to is because of the concentration on the body part directly relating to the rehab. For example, many times after a shoulder or maybe tommy john, a pitcher will have 1-2 mph more on a fast ball.

This is because after a surgery, you concentrate in strenght and conditioning more for that body part. RGIII is so far removed from his ACL, that unless he actually spends more time on his ACL post surgery exercises still to this day, it's not stronger than his other leg.

I'm not a doctor, but I've been told by orthos that typically a reconstructed ACL is stronger due to rehabilitative conditioning.

In this case, the way the injury occurred, the ACL was likely not at risk because of direction of hit and that his leg was non load bearing at the time.

I think his young age, good health, and extensive track-type warmup routine significantly helps him decrease risk of catastrophic injuries....

No. If it was a broken bone than yes. A broken Bone heals stronger. Generally ligaments that have been damaged don't become stronger. Best case scenario it is just as strong. The thing with ligaments is they are pretty avascular. Not a doctor, may be wrong, but i've been involved with various health professions.

---------- Post added December-10th-2012 at 02:36 PM ----------

PCL really? isn't that usually from car accidents? I would think MCL considering the movement of the lower leg.

I was wondering if him being a hurdler somehow helps? It's total speculation....but maybe the motion of throwing your straightened leg over a hurdle repeatly either stretches your ligaments or increases the range of motion in that joint....Whatever, I'm just glad he's mostly OK...

The way it was freely hyperextended, the bigger concern was probably going to be the pressure put on the patella/patellar tendon due to the hyperextension. Contrary to what a lot of fans think, there is a little bit of give in the knee ligaments when hyperextension occurs (which is why not everyone who hyperextends tears a ligament).

I'm not sure if the previous surgery helped him or not, because as others have said, the angle didn't really look like ACL territory.

Archived