Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the NFL track record of fired coaches and coordinators?

NewCliche21

A very simple question.

Some amazing coordinators and position coaches are promoted and just can't do the job. Buges, Williams, Wade, arguably Reid, Zorn, and so on. Sometimes they're knocked down a peg and do really, really well. Again, Williams and Wade come to mind.

However, I'm wondering about the guys that I haven't heard of because, well, they're done after being sent down the ladder. I know that The Cheater was definitely on his way up and only ran out of Cleveland due to transition and then went on to win three and be in five Super Bowls. Who else, though, has been fired as a head coach and gone on to have anything that we as Redskins fans would call "success"?

Shanahan has two rings. Elway or not, he has two rings. Less than a decade later, though, he's unemployed. He's come back and wants to vindicate himself and prove his former boss wrong (who doesn't?), but is there a history of that in the league? If you're fired, then typically you're doing it wrong. There have been thousands of NFL players (counting camp fodder), and some are cut, go to different teams, and light it up, but the percentage is so small and the sample size so large. There have been, at the most, less than two hundred head coaches, but do any get fired and go on to prove that it was a mistake?

I justify this being in The Stadium because we are constantly looking at coaches who were fired, or didn't have reasonable success, and for some reason thinking that they'll come here and suddenly be good. Gruden fell apart once Dungy's influence left, Shanahan was fired, Billick was fired, Fassel was fired, and these are all names thrown around every time our record goes south of .400. Are we being idiots in looking to retreads to bring us to the promised land?

Note: The whole "no coach has won a Super Bowl on two different teams" isn't what I'm looking at; I'm looking at reasonable success for our team as compared to the last twenty years.

A very simple question.

Some amazing coordinators and position coaches are promoted and just can't do the job. Buges, Williams, Wade, arguably Reid, Zorn, and so on. Sometimes they're knocked down a peg and do really, really well. Again, Williams and Wade come to mind.

However, I'm wondering about the guys that I haven't heard of because, well, they're done after being sent down the ladder. I know that The Cheater was definitely on his way up and only ran out of Cleveland due to transition and then went on to win three and be in five Super Bowls. Who else, though, has been fired as a head coach and gone on to have anything that we as Redskins fans would call "success"?

Shanahan has two rings. Elway or not, he has two rings. Less than a decade later, though, he's unemployed. He's come back and wants to vindicate himself and prove his former boss wrong (who doesn't?), but is there a history of that in the league? If you're fired, then typically you're doing it wrong. There have been thousands of NFL players (counting camp fodder), and some are cut, go to different teams, and light it up, but the percentage is so small and the sample size so large. There have been, at the most, less than two hundred head coaches, but do any get fired and go on to prove that it was a mistake?

I justify this being in The Stadium because we are constantly looking at coaches who were fired, or didn't have reasonable success, and for some reason thinking that they'll come here and suddenly be good. Gruden fell apart once Dungy's influence left, Shanahan was fired, Billick was fired, Fassel was fired, and these are all names thrown around every time our record goes south of .400. Are we being idiots in looking to retreads to bring us to the promised land?

Note: The whole "no coach has won a Super Bowl on two different teams" isn't what I'm looking at; I'm looking at reasonable success for our team as compared to the last twenty years.

Ya know, it may be me, but I don't put too much praise on Mike's rings from Denver.

During those years, competition was not really good; only a few teams were worthy of calling great teams, so I look at it as Mike coached a team which didn't suck as much as the others did...

Norv. San Fran. Got him the Chargers job. When he's fired this year he'll have an OC job a week later.
Romeo crenell can always find a job and end up as a head coach somewhere.

John fox in Denver after taking Carolina to the superbowl seems to be working

Coughlin was down in Jacksonville

Idk but there's more

I think that Fox and Coughlin are good examples of what I'm talking about. Crennel is the opposite as whatever he touches seems to turn to crap, and that's what I'm afraid of. Norv will be an OC for sure, and he was very underrated while he was here for 1999 and 2000, but his Raiders didn't do much and he was handed a 14-2 Chargers team.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 12:18 PM ----------

Dan Reeves

John Fox

Tom Coughlin

Bill Parcells

Tony Dungy

Dungy and Parcells weren't fired. Dungy was traded and Parcells can go wherever the hell he wants whenever he wants because he's Parcells. Reeves is a good call. Vermeil comes to mind, too.

I think that Fox and Coughlin are good examples of what I'm talking about. Crennel is the opposite as whatever he touches seems to turn to crap, and that's what I'm afraid of. Norv will be an OC for sure, and he was very underrated while he was here for 1999 and 2000, but his Raiders didn't do much and he was handed a 14-2 Chargers team.

---------- Post added November-9th-2012 at 12:18 PM ----------

Dungy and Parcells weren't fired. Dungy was traded and Parcells can go wherever the hell he wants whenever he wants because he's Parcells. Reeves is a good call. Vermeil comes to mind, too.

I forgot about Marvin Lewis, that guy has 9 lives in Cincy.

Ooops. Forgot he left in his own.

Archived