Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sports on Earth - "The Education of RG3" - Great article on Skins playcalling by Mike Tanier

bcl05

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/38202352/

Rookie quarterbacks cannot just be wound up, handed a Tom Brady-level playbook and shoved onto the field if they are expected to succeed. Even the most talented, prepared rookie needs a game plan that augments his strengths, limits his need to make decisions and offers some easy, confidence-building passes.

Robert Griffin III had one of the greatest debuts of any rookie quarterback in history on Sunday: 320 passing yards, two touchdowns and a 40-32 win against a playoff-caliber opponent. Griffin’s success was largely the result of a brilliant game plan by Mike and Kyle Shanahan, the Redskins’ head coach and offensive coordinator. The Shanahans installed a shotgun, screen-heavy offense that looked much different from the system they traditionally run, a scheme that used misdirection and repetition to confuse the Saints and make their new franchise quarterback as comfortable as possible.

Lots of great stuff at the link.

Also, the new website, Sports On Earth is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Lots of excellent writing.

Misdirection has been, at least to my eyes, a growing trend in pro (and even college) offenses and I've been dying for some of that for the Redskins. What heightens the possibilities for an effectively deceptive offense for the Redskins is RG3's ball skills, polished, no doubt, by years of running an option-read offense at Baylor at the highest level. Most option-read QBs don't have the physical skills to make it at QB in the NFL, so RG3 brings those sweet ball skills with NFL-calibre throwing, reading, and running skills. Very exciting. Glad to see the Shannys all in on this.

I think it's really interesting that everyone is praising Shanahan for his gameplan at the beginning of the game when it was actually Griffin who called the screen plays at the beginning. That makes his performance even more special, IMO, that what he did at the beginning of the game garnered praise for a Super Bowl winning HC, let alone a rookie QB.

Archived