Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The building a PC/laptop guide

spjunkies

The GPU is already out. Everything is disconnected, even the RAM. It's just the PSU connected to the motherboard. And it still doesn't work.

Might be processor.

What do I do about the screws that fell off...do I install the standoffs?

it's the processor dude, I'm telling you. check the pins, I guarantee you'll find at least a few are bent.

Well, I have good news to report. The processor is fine, and was installed correctly. There were also standoffs which were already installed in the case.

The problem was memory. The memory wasn't installed correctly. After I installed it properly, I could see out of the monitor.

Thanks for everyone's help. Debugging can be a real chore, but it feels great when you've fixed the problem. Thanks again

May have to slightly hijack this thread. So i've been having issues with video playback on my custom PC. It's weird, some videos which I have on my HDD play perfectly fine. Others play really choppy with red/blue dots everywhere and white lines/bars breaking up the picture. Same thing happens with Netflix streaming. I know it's not the video card cause the same issue happens with the onboard card. Which leads me to believe it's either a flash issue or a codec issue. Any ideas guys?

May have to slightly hijack this thread. So i've been having issues with video playback on my custom PC. It's weird, some videos which I have on my HDD play perfectly fine. Others play really choppy with red/blue dots everywhere and white lines/bars breaking up the picture. Same thing happens with Netflix streaming. I know it's not the video card cause the same issue happens with the onboard card. Which leads me to believe it's either a flash issue or a codec issue. Any ideas guys?

I'd worry more about the connection itself. Could be a codec, but what type of connection are you using? Also, if you have cable, what time of day do you have these issues?

I'd worry more about the connection itself. Could be a codec, but what type of connection are you using? Also, if you have cable, what time of day do you have these issues?

It's not the internet connection. Netflix runs fine on every other computer. And like I said, the same issue happens with local files. This isn't normal buffering pixelation, it's definitely a playback issue.

It's not the internet connection. Netflix runs fine on every other computer. And like I said, the same issue happens with local files. This isn't normal buffering pixelation, it's definitely a playback issue.

Bad HDMI cable? Windows usually updates the codecs pretty regular. Unless you're on XP or something.

Windows is being a ***** and not letting me install because of EFI crap.

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. The EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks"

You need a fresh format on the hard drive and delete all the existing partitions. Do it in another computer (using disk manager) or use Diskpart clean all in command window from the windows install repair gui. If you put an old hard drive in there, remove that one for a windows install on the new one.

Bad HDMI cable? Windows usually updates the codecs pretty regular. Unless you're on XP or something.

You need a fresh format on the hard drive and delete all the existing partitions. Do it in another computer (using disk manager) or use Diskpart clean all in command window from the windows install repair gui. If you put an old hard drive in there, remove that one for a windows install on the new one.

Could be, I'll swap the cables tomorrow. I was planning on changing it to DVI anyways.

Edit: Not the VGA cable, just swapped it and still have the same issue.

Here's a screencap of what I'm dealing with. The same issue happens whether I use VLC, WMP, or MPlayer.

videoplaybackscreencap.png

Did this, and now the BIOS doesn't recognize the hard drive.

Did this, and now the BIOS doesn't recognize the hard drive.

Edit: Which did you do? I have couple more steps if you did Diskpart.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/52129-disk-clean-clean-all-diskpart-command.html

If you boot from the install DVD it doesn't matter. When windows sees a fresh drive (and it's the only drive attached) it will install on that drive.

It's also possible you might need to point to RAID drivers if you're running RAID. The W7 installer is way better at detecting SATA drives, but I've had a few instances during builds where I did have to provide the drivers. Reset your BIOS to defaults and see if it redetects it.

If he did the diskpart clean command, then he needs to do create volume before windows recognizes it. That one gave me fits one time. Ixcuincle, I might have given you more detailed instructions, sorry for that. It all seems frustrating the first time but it really takes about 10 minutes when you have all the steps lined up.

Archived