Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The building a PC/laptop guide

spjunkies

My goodness that was one heck of a breakdown!

Thank you so much for that.

There's actually even more to consider, but that post was a good starting point.

If you actually want to build your own computer, maybe post exactly what you want it to be able to do and what budget you're working with and we can help you choose parts.

• 5 months later...

You don't need anything near 750W for that system, so there's no reason to be spending $90 on a PSU.

The PCP&C Silencer MkIII line is great, for example, and the 500W model is $45 after rebate and promo code. They're built by Seasonic (one of the best in the business), modular, and, unlike previous Silencer models, they're actually pretty quiet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703035

$150 ($130 after rebate) is also more than you need to be spending on a motherboard unless you need special features.

Is that specific bunch of parts the only way to get the bundle discount?

Yeah, the case may be unsightly, but it has 5 fans in it

Everything checks out and I may eventually get that. Never built a computer from scratch though, but all the screw and cables are included, so hopefully I'll be able to figure this out

You won't need five fans unless you're going to overclock it and the ones that Rosewill case are likely to come with will be loud. 2 will be plenty. I like the idea of getting a little more than you need, ie the power supply. Putting them together is like a puzzle, I enjoy it. Any problems you have will be covered on youtube or forums.

Yeah, the case may be unsightly, but it has 5 fans in it

Everything checks out and I may eventually get that. Never built a computer from scratch though, but all the screw and cables are included, so hopefully I'll be able to figure this out

What the hell do you need 5 fans for? You planning on running a mini server on the thing?

---------- Post added September-18th-2012 at 09:52 PM ----------

Alrightm, thanks all. I went ahead and got the computer. Now comes the construction in a few days. Never built one before, so I'm a little nervous, but I have installed memory and PSU's before.

Biggest tips I can give you:

Be VERY careful inserting the CPU in to the motherboard. Unbending pins is a pain in the ass and you risk breaking pins off if you're not careful

Boot the PC up with the bare minimums connected to make sure everything is hooked up properly and working (CPU, CPU fan, MOBO, RAM). If the BIOS doesn't boot then something's wrong. Usually the CPU isn't seated properly

Ground yourself before working, and NEVER work on carpet. It's a lot easier to short out your MOBO than you may think.

Well, the case comes with 4 or 5 fans

Unsure what to do when it arrives now that you all are commenting about it. Should probably plug in 2 of them

I know about that pin stuff. I can't remember how, but my old one-core processor got its pins all bent. I know what it's like :ols:

Well, the case comes with 4 or 5 fans

Unsure what to do when it arrives now that you all are commenting about it. Should probably plug in 2 of them

I know about that pin stuff. I can't remember how, but my old one-core processor got its pins all bent. I know what it's like :ols:

You can plug them all in, that's not an issue. Just wasted power cause you're never gonna need more than 2.

I built the computer out of those parts, and it seems to turn on. However, I get no signal when I plug it into the motherboard monitor slot, or the video card monitor slot. I took out the video card, plugged it into the motherboard monitor slot, and it still doesn't work. The monitor works fine, because I plugged it into my laptop and it works fine.

I have no clue what the issue would be, and I am not pleased. This system did cost a lot of money, and it's not working. It's very frustrating

I'll go through a few things I would guess it could be. If it's posting then you did good. :)

The video card needs 2 six pin PCIe power connections

In the BIOS turn off integrated video

I would go through these suggestions if it's not one of those simple things..

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/307195-30-computer-turns-signal-monitor

Are the lights on the MOBO on? Are the case fans and cpu fans spinning? Are you getting a PC Beep?

My best guess, CPU isn't seated properly. Take the CPU fan off, and carefully remove the CPU. Check for bent pins and reseat. Make sure that you match the arrow on the CPU with the arrow on the CPU slot on the MOBO.

When you say it seems to turn on, what happens? Is the CPU fan spinning constantly, or does it spin up and then stop?

Do you currently have everything installed in the case? If so, I would take it all out of the case. Leave the RAM, CPU and CPU cooler installed on the motherboard and connect all the power plugs with the motherboard resting on something non-conductive, like the box it came in. Either set it close enough to the case that you can connect the power switch, or short the power pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver. If everything powers up fine then you have something in the case making a short.

By the way, did you install the standoffs in your case before you screwed in the motherboard?

By the way, did you install the standoffs in your case before you screwed in the motherboard?

I really hope he did, otherwise he's in some big trouble.

---------- Post added September-21st-2012 at 09:25 AM ----------

The lights on the mobo are on, all the fans spin. No beep.

An interesting sidenote, I can't hear beeps because the speaker plugs didn't come with a case. It's weird, because I have Pwr LED, SW, all that, no speaker. So can't hear beeps.

I'll check the cpu later.

Take the RAM out and power it up. Listen for the beep.

Everything is screwed in. Going to remove components later. Too tired now

The CPU fans don't stop. They keep spinning. The only error is the monitor doesn't work. And as I Said before it's only for this computer, the monitor works everywhere else, so it's not a monitor problem.

The motherboard is screwed in with black screws. Going to look later for "standoffs" in the pack of screw that came with the case. Should all the screws be "standoffs" when they are screwed into the motherboard?

Alright, some of the screws fell off and were on the bottom of the case. Also tried to remove the ram and see if I could get a signal, nothing happened. Red light popped up, so I guess that's good, it knows RAM is missing.

Also disconnected everything but the power (all the peripherals), still can't see anything out of the monitor.

Alright, some of the screws fell off and were on the bottom of the case. Also tried to remove the ram and see if I could get a signal, nothing happened. Red light popped up, so I guess that's good, it knows RAM is missing.

Also disconnected everything but the power (all the peripherals), still can't see anything out of the monitor.

take the gpu out not disconnected all the way out, and use the integrated video connection. Install the video card after you have installed everything else i.e. the operating system.

Archived