Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The "Why the hell do DC voters keep voting for Marion Barry" thread

Teller

The Asian businesses in DC operate above the law. They blatently advertise and sell pirated DVDs and single cigarettes. There is a carry out on the corner of Pensylvania ave and 13th on Capital Hill that will actually roll up weed in cigar wraps. There is definately a colusion factor in the beauty supply business.

There had to be a justification for it though right?

Why would a business purposefully decide to do something detrimental to their business if there wasnt a reason for doing it?

If you walk up to a Korean grocer and ask him for a cost-benefit analysis on their metal roll-down screen, you're probably not going to get one.

I'm sure that overt security measures make shop owners feel more safe, but whether it actually benefits the business is probably very dependent on context. It might make sense to have strong and visible security when you're the only store in a neighborhood with a lot of crime (especially gangs and other organized crime), but as more businesses become successful in the neighborhood and crime drops (as is happening in H Street NE) you probably make more money if your store looks more welcoming.

Do you think those business owners do that purposely to alienate their clientele? Or are they doing it as a response to real dangers in their businesses?

I think there's an unhealthy mutual distrust among Asian business owners and their black clientele. I suspect some Asian business owners don't even consider whether they are alienating their clientele with the plexiglass barriers. Some might not even care, as long as the customer puts the money in the slot.

That's not to say that robbery isn't a legitimate threat. I'm not sure if the bunker mentality architecture is the right response to the perceived threat. What I do know is that when I wander afield for a Chinese/Soul Food carryout and face a plexiglass barrier, it sets off a distinct vibe that this is a dangerous place. Then I wonder if there's a "broken windows" effect of all the plexiglass and riot roll-ups...almost a self fulfilling prophesy.

I couldn't help but think of this. Some mildly NSFW language.

HAHAHA I was literally signing in to YouTube to pull up this clip as well!. "Hurry up and buy!"

---------- Post added April-9th-2012 at 03:38 PM ----------

Then I wonder if there's a "broken windows" effect of all the plexiglass and riot roll-ups...almost a self fulfilling prophesy.

Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point?

Archived