Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2012 NFL Combine Thread (Duds, Surprises, and overall news)

IONTOP

Would yall be okay with Bama's LB Hightower with our 2nd rounder if he falls and we keep our 2nd?

I'd rather have Boise State S George Iloka in the 2nd as safety is a bigger need than ILB. This guy is big enough to play SS as well as being quick and lengthy enough to play FS.

I definitely consider ILB a bigger need than safety.

That said, I don't think there's much of any way I'd be happy with Hightower at 38. I like him, but we have bigger needs and there will probably be better values there. If he fell to us in the 3rd, I'd be toally for it.

---------- Post added February-28th-2012 at 11:27 PM ----------

fwiw, if we've taken a QB in the first and still have our 2nd rounder for whatever reason, I think OT, CB, or guard are definitely the ways to go in the second.

I definitely consider ILB a bigger need than safety.

That said, I don't think there's much of any way I'd be happy with Hightower at 38. I like him, but we have bigger needs and there will probably be better values there. If he fell to us in the 3rd, I'd be toally for it.

How is ILB a bigger need than safety? You are set with two highly productive starters in Fletcher (regardless of age) and Riley. At safety, you have Doughty at SS and Atogwe at FS. OJ was injured most of the year and Doughty is a liability outside of the box.

ILB depth and a future replacement for Fletcher should be in the cards very soon but safety for the Skins is a mess. There is no argument here to be had for ILB over S. But lets just say the FO loses their mind and looks at ILB, my choice would be Mychal Kendricks from Cal. Pac12 DPOY and he tore up the Combine.

If you do want to go the OL route, id love to see a guy like G Kelechi Osemele fall in the 2nd. A 330lb Guard that can play RT and agile enough to zone block in Shanny's system.

S is a bigger need if we don't re-sign Landry, but I expect that we will. If we do, then we have Atogwe, who is a good player when healthy, and there's no reason to think he won't be healthy this season, and Landry who can be dominant, as well as Gomes and Doughty, who are both capable players backing them up. At ILB, we have a late round pick who has started less than half a season, a 37 year old, and a DT/DE/OLB/G/T/TE/FB/ILB backing them up. I don't think ILB is a huge need, but I think safety is one of our most set positions.

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 12:13 AM ----------

And Osemele would be a horrible fit for our team. He isn't NEARLY agile or quick enough to fit our ZBS.

S is a bigger need if we don't re-sign Landry, but I expect that we will. If we do, then we have Atogwe, who is a good player when healthy, and there's no reason to think he won't be healthy this season, and Landry who can be dominant, as well as Gomes and Doughty, who are both capable players backing them up. At ILB, we have a late round pick who has started less than half a season, a 37 year old, and a DT/DE/OLB/G/T/TE/FB/ILB backing them up. I don't think ILB is a huge need, but I think safety is one of our most set positions.

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 12:13 AM ----------

And Osemele would be a horrible fit for our team. He isn't NEARLY agile or quick enough to fit our ZBS.

All signs point to Landry not being signed unless its a "one year prove your healthy" kind of contract.

As for Osemele his 40-Yard Dash - 5.36, 20-Yard Shuffle – 4.87, 3-Cone Drill – 7.91, with 32 reps of 225lbs. He's fast enough and agile enough to play interior lineman in a ZBS. Wont want him on the outside though.

What signs? What signs prove to Landry not being retained?

Those numbers aren't impressive or indicative of speed and quickness at all. And even if they were, combine numbers are used to inform, not to decide; watch Osemele play. He plays as a load and would fit with the Cowboys old OL or the Saints OL, not a ZBS.

Someone should start a new thread and make a list of possible 1st round talent that we could get in the 2nd round... If we don't trade it away... Pleaseeee let's don't!!

U know d' hightower, hill from gtech, rayes uconn, etc n etc.

That would be interesting because let's face it. Some talent is gonna be had n the early 1st that's gonna be day 1 starters!

What signs? What signs prove to Landry not being retained?

Those numbers aren't impressive or indicative of speed and quickness at all. And even if they were, combine numbers are used to inform, not to decide; watch Osemele play. He plays as a load and would fit with the Cowboys old OL or the Saints OL, not a ZBS.

You haven't been paying attention if you think that Landry is going to be resigned to a long term (read: more than one year) contract.

As for combine numbers you contradict yourself by what you just said about informing not deciding and then you decide he's not a fit for the ZBS. His numbers prove that he's agile enough to play in that scheme. He may not be ideal in terms of size and speed, but he's one of the most talented guards in this years draft.

I'd rather have Boise State S George Iloka in the 2nd as safety is a bigger need than ILB. This guy is big enough to play SS as well as being quick and lengthy enough to play FS.

Top of the second would be way too soon to draft Iloka in my opinion. The only safety worth drafting that high this year would be Barron. This is not really a strong safety class. If anything, we should take a look at one in the 4th, but I don't see the value of taking one with a top 50 pick. Much more value can be found with an ILB, WR, DL, or OL that falls to our 2nd round pick.

You haven't been paying attention if you think that Landry is going to be resigned to a long term (read: more than one year) contract.

As for combine numbers you contradict yourself by what you just said about informing not deciding and then you decide he's not a fit for the ZBS. His numbers prove that he's agile enough to play in that scheme. He may not be ideal in terms of size and speed, but he's one of the most talented guards in this years draft.

1. When did I ever say anything about a long-term deal?

2. So, could you backup your claim. Because the vast majority of the talk of Landry not coming back is useless speculation that then gets seized upon. Almost none of it is reliable reporting or comes from real sources, as far as I've seen.

3. No, I didn't contradict myself at all. I said that, first, those numbers are not indicative of a player who fits the ZBS, and second, even if they were, it wouldn't matter because watching the kid you can see that he isn't, regardless of if he ran a 4.7 40.

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 02:35 PM ----------

There are a bunch of guards who not only would be a much better fit for our team, but who will be able to be gotten at much better value because Osemele will go high, being a great fit for other teams. Undersized guys will fall because most teams will be less interested. Guys like Gettis, Molk, and Jacobson interest me much more than Osemele (for the Skins).

---------- Post added February-29th-2012 at 02:37 PM ----------

Someone should start a new thread and make a list of possible 1st round talent that we could get in the 2nd round... If we don't trade it away... Pleaseeee let's don't!!

U know d' hightower, hill from gtech, rayes uconn, etc n etc.

That would be interesting because let's face it. Some talent is gonna be had n the early 1st that's gonna be day 1 starters!

Stephen Hill isn't a 1st round guy that might fall to the second. He's a third round guy that might climb to the first. He wasn't very good in college, and was rightly considered a physically very talented, but very raw 3rd-4th round pick. He blew the combine away and will now get taken no later than the 2nd and potentially in the 1st because of those numbers. See: DHB

Archived