Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Senior Bowl: North/South Talent vs. North/South Coaching

RWJ

The Senior Bowl isn't a place you use "imaginatve play-calling." It's intentionally vanilla so that you can evaluate theplayer and not the scheme. I don't believe this teaches us anything regarding how easy or difficult it is to learn Kyle's offensive system because we weren't using it. These games are to put players in positions to compete with each other. Scheme doesnt even come into play.

Agreed.

You can't go by schemes at all because there were too many rules in place that restrict schemes.

Like the offense can't put people in motion, or the defense can't blitz, and so forth.

Heck, as someone else pointed out, our 'D' was in a 4-3 in the game, not a 3-4. That isn't even our normal scheme. :)

As I said in another thread, for anyone who actually watced the game, it was clear the Viking coaches put more stock in winning a meaningless game that Shanahan and his coaches did. Which is fine by me. I wanted our coaches to focus on evaluating talent for the upcoming draft and undrafted free agency. Not worry about winning some dumb game.

Anyone who is judging the coaching staff on this game is a fool.

---------- Post added January-30th-2012 at 05:22 AM ----------

I don't put much stock into the game itself, however this was the 1st time I can remember our team's coaching staff coaching in this game which made it of some interest to me. I was rooting for them (understanding this is an EXHIBITION game) and was still disappointed with the lack of offense and points with what most experts considered the better talent.

Then your disappointment is on you and not the coaches because you obviously don't understand why the coaches were there and what they were truly trying to accomplish.

It isn't their fault you expected a bunch of razzle-dazzle and running up the scoreboard pointlessly in an exhibition game that is supposed to be all about the college senior players and showing off their talent and being evaluated, and not about the coaches showing off their schemes (most of which they couldn't use due to the rules).

I suggest you go read up on the Senior Bowl cause you obviously know little about it.

I do realize this was an exhibition game and winning is a bonus not the main goal BUT, I also could not help but notice that while watching the game and how it unfolded if you had put Redskins uniforms on the South team and another NFL teams unis on the North this could have passed for any 1 of the Redskins 10 losses this year. Inconsistent offense and a defense unable to make key stops. Take that for what it is worth.

I know they were limited in scheme on both sides of the ball but you cant deny the similarity there.

Also, if memory serves, I believe one of Norv's staffs coached a Senior Bowl as well.

And this does not effect my faith in the coaching staff but I will agree that it probably shines some light on the fact that their wasn't a franchise qb on either team this year.

HTTR

Archived