Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I for one am pissed we didn't trade...

J33Edwards

I think Ramsey is don't great. He's progressing even faster than I thought, and he's only going to get better as time goes on. He didn't get killed as much as he did the first two weeks, and he's seen a defensive look he's never seen before. Now he'll be able to adjust to it faster in the future.

Originally posted by redman

I still believe, and I said this at the time, that those trade negotiations were simply a way of sending a message to a rookie holdout. I don't think we seriously were going to trade him, especially not for a backup guard from the Bears.

that could be...whatever the case is I'm glad that we didn't trade him.

Originally posted by Tom [Giants fan]

I bet the Bears are kicking themselves right now. :laugh:

No no, go the other way Kordell!!! :laugh:

My supervisor is a huge Bears fan, and he was telling me today that he so wishes that trade was made. Keep in mind that Ramsey would be playing behind what might be the worst OL in football though.

I actually thought that Smoot did a decent job. I do NOT expect him to be able to stop Shockey cold, and he usually brought him down within a couple of yards. Nothing particularly bad. You're certainly not getting linebacker quality tackles from him, but then, he's a freakin cover corner, people.

As for Ramsey, as long as he stays healthy, he is going to be a star in this league.

I was at the game and I didn't think Smoot played well. I seem to recall him playing far too soft on Hilliard on a few key third downs. He seemed to be struggling out there to me. The slightest rub-off left his man WIDE open more than once!

You know what if we had traded Ramsey I think it would of been a John Elway thing when he was drafted by the Colts than traded to the Broncos. Even if Patrick turned out to be a subpar Qb and Redskins countinued shuffling Qbs they would always somehow bring up what could of been but is now.

You might be right redman, but it wouldn't surprise me if you were wrong. That draft pick was used for Spurrier to find his man to build his offense around, with Matthews and Wuerffel obvious stop gaps the rook (or 95% of rooks) would need all of training camp and the preseason just to get a handle on the pro game, let alone Spurrier's ultra complex system and methodology. When Ramsey missed all of training camp and half the preseason in their eyes the draft pick, and Ramsey likely looked like a wash, a wasted season.

That's certainly how I felt, and at the time I was all for trading him to the Bears for their #1 in 2003 and possibly player as I figured their #1 would be a top 15 pick since I expected them to fall back to earth (I underestimated how much they would suck, unlike their fans who actually posted that they should trade for Ramsey since their first, "would be one of the last four or five picks of the first round anyway.") and I felt Ramsey was a waste at that point.

I had no idea how quickly he would learn on the fly, how rapidly he would develop, and how intense a competitor and fighter the kid is, how smart he is and was. Now I can only thank my lucky stars that we didn't.

But it's important to note that the most likely reason we didn't pull off the trade was that Chicago was lowballing us. Supposedly they didn't even want to give us their second rounder (which they figured would be around slot 50+), and we're trying to only give up a third, or get a lineman from us and Ramsey for their second. Their offer sucked arse. If they had actually offered their first, or say, a 2003 2nd and a first in 2004, I think the deal would have been made. Instead, they lowballed us, and are now in a manure pit that will take years to climb out of, with no assuredness that Grossman can cut it. Meanwhile Ramsey is playing like a pro bowler through the first three weeks. It's early and the jury's out, but it seems pretty clear that we made the right choice, and the Bears were idiots.

Archived