Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Opposing kickers versus the Redskins

The X-Factor

As I was watching Nick Folk line up for a season long 51 yard field goal attempt yesterday, I thought to myself "there is no way he misses this." Sure enough, he hit one that would have been good from much farther back. It seems that opposing kickers always are automatic when the play the Redskins. I decided to look into this further.

Opposing kickers are 27/32 this season against the Redskins. This works out to a 84.37% success rate. The NFL average up until this point is 83.44%. Gano this season has hit on 21 of 30 fields, which works out to 70%, the worst in the league.

Opposing kickers are not as automatic as I initially though. They are only slightly better than the league average. However, Gano has been so inconsistent this year that he makes any kicker look like a Pro Bowler.

so what do these stats look like 4 blocks for each kicker?

akers 83.8%

bailey 78.1%

barth 76.9%

gould 74.1%

seabass 79.25

nugent 78.3%

bryant 76.2%

carpenter 70.8%

hanson 70.8%

crosby 71.4%

dawson 70.8%

mare 70.8%

hauschka 71.4%

scoobee 70%

cundiff 64.5%

kasay 67.1%

rackers 69.2%

novack 65.4%

bironas 69.6%

grotkowski 66.6%

henery 66.6%

suisham 62.5%

succop 65%

folk 57.1%

longwell 60%

brown 63.2%

prater 55%

vinateiri 64.7%

feely 50%

lindell 66.6%

tynes 68.8%

id say Gano has been middle of the road at worst, unless you want to debate that the blocks are his fault..

Yeah, NO WAY could our porous (and that is being harsh to porous, cause there are porous items that slow things a little bit, unlike our line) O-line be creating problems with the kicking team.

This is all Ganos fault.

He ought to be able to both kick accuratly and also help block so that his kicks don't get blocked.

so what do these stats look like 4 blocks for each kicker?

akers 83.8%

bailey 78.1%

barth 76.9%

gould 74.1%

seabass 79.25

nugent 78.3%

bryant 76.2%

carpenter 70.8%

hanson 70.8%

crosby 71.4%

dawson 70.8%

mare 70.8%

hauschka 71.4%

scoobee 70%

cundiff 64.5%

kasay 67.1%

rackers 69.2%

novack 65.4%

bironas 69.6%

grotkowski 66.6%

henery 66.6%

suisham 62.5%

succop 65%

folk 57.1%

longwell 60%

brown 63.2%

prater 55%

vinateiri 64.7%

feely 50%

lindell 66.6%

tynes 68.8%

id say Gano has been middle of the road at worst, unless you want to debate that the blocks are his fault..

Vote for post of the year! Gano at 70% with 4 kicks blocked pretty much sums it up comparing to the rest of the league. Nice research

I still maintain that Gano's the most consistent FG kicker the Redskins have had in quite some time. I might go so far as to say he's the best since Chip Lohmiller, but I always thought Brett Conway was good as well. That aside, they were talking on the Monday AM QB show this morning about how Gano's and other teams' KO's aren't going as far as before. I'm not overly surprised by this given that over the course of a season the kicker's leg is bound to get a bit more tired here and there.

I think that the spirit of this thread was to say that kickers seem to have a knack of making their kicks against the Redskins. The numbers provided prove it's not far off the league average, but I think that the real point is not so much that they make the kicks but when they make them. Most of the Redskins' games come down to the wire in the 4th quarter. (Keep in mind that the Jets' game was much closer than the score indicated.) So if the games are close and the other team has a FG opprotunity late, odds are they're going to connect on it. In turn, when Gano misses he seems to do it at the worst possible time which magifies the situation.

I think you guys might have misunderstood my reasoning for this thread. It was not meant as a slight to Gano. I actually like Gano and I think he's a lot better than the 70% kicker he has been this year. I just simply wanted to dispel the notion that other kickers were automatic against us. It just seems that way because of the miscues our own special teams have had this year.

I think you guys might have misunderstood my reasoning for this thread. It was not meant as a slight to Gano. I actually like Gano and I think he's a lot better than the 70% kicker he has been this year. I just simply wanted to dispel the notion that other kickers were automatic against us. It just seems that way because of the miscues our own special teams have had this year.

its a good point you made, cuz i could only remember a couple missed field goals when there have actually been 5 misses. i think it feels like opposing team's kickers have been great against us because we always play tight games, where the win/loss can be attributed to field goals. kickers have seemingly been good against us in the clutch as well (see cowboys winning on 5 or so field goals)

That aside, they were talking on the Monday AM QB show this morning about how Gano's and other teams' KO's aren't going as far as before. I'm not overly surprised by this given that over the course of a season the kicker's leg is bound to get a bit more tired here and there.

preseason, many pointed out that there would be a decline in long kickoffs as the weather got colder as well. i think it was to be expected. i still think gano can kick it out of the end zone more often than not, but we've been trying to pin teams deep, which has been successful.

Archived