Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Redskins/Jets RB Discussion Thread -- Beating Feet all over Rex Ryan

Conn

Let's face it--we aren't a great running team right now. Its partly because we don't commit to it, and partly because we CAN'T, with a crappy OL and a decent amount of time spent playing from behind. We were bottom 3 in the league in rushing yardage last year at 30th, and we're even worse so far this year, being 31st.

But today, we just won't stick with the run.

We've gone through a bit of a RB carousel this year, with Shanahan attempting to play the hot hand and try out some new legs throughout the season after Hightower went down. Torain flamed out and never recaptured last year's magic, and Choice seems to have been more of an intelligence mission, trying to obtain information about the Cowboy's playbook, than anything else.

Now, on to the RB we've all been talking about since April. Roy Helu! In a mostly lost season, it seems we've found a talented rookie RB to build with, and Shanahan has proved once again that he knows what he's doing with RB's. Helu showed flashes of his potential very early in the season, after a good preseason. Week 2, he ran for 74 yards vs. the Cardinals, and caught 3 balls for 38 more yards. Eclipsing 100 total yards that early as a rookie was pretty impressive, but Shanahan didn't seem to fully trust him yet. 7 weeks later was his true breakout game, running for only 41 yards, but setting a new franchise record in catching 14 passes for 105 yards. Very impressive stuff, and I think at that point we all were ready to move on from any other RB (especially with Hightower out), if it meant seeing more of Helu on game day.

Last week vs. the Seahawks was his first true game as the bell-cow back, and he surpassed my expectations with 100+ rushing, a rushing TD, and 7 catches for 54 yards. We haven't had a threat like this in the running AND passing game since Portis, and even Portis had pretty shaky hands (though he always made up for that with his blocking ability).

All indications from Shanahan have been that he thinks Helu's ready to carry the load. When asked on Friday if Helu was ready for consistent 25+ carry games, Shanahan said "I think he is right now". Until we see who gets brought in at RB for next year, and until Hightower comes back from injury if he's re-signed himself, it looks like Helu is our feature back. If he can keep making plays like he did last week, hurtling a defender, landing balanced and breaking a weak tackle attempt, then zipping along for a 30-yard score, I think we'll all be VERY happy. And this is with a below-average OL.

I'm liking his performance so far today, and its looking like he's far from a fluke, not that I personally thought that. He destroyed that first drive and looked deadly out there. Great vision, balance, and the ability to break arm tackles effortlessly. Great hands as well.

We seemed to get away from running with Helu our next couple drives, and that didn't work out so hot. I think we need to get back to what was working with Helu to control the clock and keep the D off the field as much as possible. A nice special teams play by Riley (nice change ;)) put us in position to score. If that hadn't happened, going away from the run would have been our kryptonite in the 1st half. Its still a head-scratcher.

So far in total, he's run 11 times for 63 yards and a TD, adding 1 catch for 8 yards. Not shabby, against the Jets defense. They're ranked 8th in defense per NFL.com, so not up to their usual level in recent years, and they are only 15th in rush defense. But still, running on the Jets is no joke with this OL. I'm very pleased with his performance so far.

I'm honored to contribute to these ES Gameday threads, but now I pass this discussion along to you!

What do you guys think? Anything RB-related is a go, specifically this game or this season as a whole. My take is that Helu has looked like a star when Kyle remembers to stick with the run game.

It's really too bad that the NFL suspended Helu for violating their substance abuse policy after the first quarter. He had a pretty nice game going.

:ols: Seriously, you'd think that's what happened.

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

There he is. Great leg drive!

Hightower/Helu could be a nice thunder and lightning combo. Helu needs to get better at Pass Protection if he is going to be a viable 3rd down back. If I am the GM, I'm signing a FA Guard and drafting a RT with our 2nd Pick. This could lead to a huge improvement in the team's running game.

I like feet.

They killed me today with the billion pass game for Grossman after we ran so well on the opening drive. I will let Kyle hear it next week at the pats game if he does this crap again. We should have won 28-10. I want a nice draft pic but not at the cost of developing our rookies and having to hear all the Jets fans at fedex! Total BS that they were loud enough to hear that stupid J-E-T-S jets cheer.

They killed me today with the billion pass game for Grossman after we ran so well on the opening drive. I will let Kyle hear it next week at the pats game if he does this crap again. We should have won 28-10. I want a nice draft pic but not at the cost of developing our rookies and having to hear all the Jets fans at fedex! Total BS that they were loud enough to hear that stupid J-E-T-S jets cheer.

I fantasize about the day when we have our franchise QB (RG3) and they are stuck with the Sanchize, someone who Vinny and Danny both coveted. Today's loss will then seem like a distant memory.

Archived