Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official ES TE Discussion Thread- Redskins vs. Cowboys

Gibbs Hog Heaven

'K, here's your now weekly cooling off period/ positional game-day thread ..... With a twist.

The brass are trying to evolve these to have more member interaction, as opposed to the generic bog-standard ones we've had since this highly welcomed and successful ES improvement was introduced. And the 'honor' of writing the first members OP for the TE thread falls on yours truly. :D. ("GROOOOOOAN" go the readers. But fear not friends, the plan is to rotate these around willing members to keep it fresh and fair.). http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?358872-Today-s-Redskins-vs.-Cowboys-Discussion-Threads-Update-Changes!!!!-Pay-Attention-Please.

So before we get to today's game, let's look at one of the few areas we are totally set at on this team going forward, the TE's; and one special player in particular, #83. We have a great mixture of youth and vet. experience; top echelon pass catching weapons and big, solid blocking options in our TE corps. Cooley speaks for himself, both for what he brings to this team, and to what he means to the community and fanbase as a whole. He's RIGHT up there with the very best TE's in Redskins lore, and has consistently been one of the top 5 pass catching TE's in the entire NFL through his career IMHO; who still has real worth to this team. I have NO doubt if he's offered ANY sort of contract extension, he'll sign ASAP with ZERO questions asked, THAT'S how much he loves this organization and area. And his type of vet. leadership and quality we'd be foolish to jettison from this team and it's new, as to be decided rookie QB next year. Logan Paulsen is also developing real nicely into a pretty darn good, young, blocking TE. The biggest of the three at 6'5/ 264 lbs, he's also got a great pair of hands and has shown good athleticism for a big man the limited looks he's had in the passing game. Which leads us on to the main man, and #1 off-season re-sign priority for me. Our main offensive weapon, FreddieDelight.

Even in a season through which we've had amateur QB play from both guys on an offense that's ZERO threat to the opposition to score (1 TD from the last 36 offensive possession's going into today's game); with next to no run game to speak of all year; Davis has still put up some fantastic numbers in context. And add to that he's had 4 of his 9 games with a mere 4 receptions or less through all the other sub-standard factors around him. Thus far in 2011, Fred's stats on this team are thus:

Receptions: 43- Leads team / 6th in NFL for TE's.

Yards: 587- Leads team/ 3rd in NFL for TE's.

Average Yards per Catch: 13.7- 2nd on team behind Gaffney at 14.1 (20 catches or more)/ 5th in NFL for TE's with 20 catches or more.

Average Yards per Game: 65.2- Leads team/ 4th in NFL for TE's.

TD: 2- Tied first on team with Beck, Gaffney, Moss and THT.

Long: 40 Yards- Second longest 'Skins reception on year behind Gaffney's 45 yarder.

Receptions of 20 Yards or More: 10- Leads team/ 4th in NFL for TE's.

Receptions of 40 Yards or More: 1- Tied for team lead with Gaffney/ Joint 2nd in NFL for TE's with 8 others. Only 1 TE has 2 receptions of 40 yards or more.

First Downs: 30- Leads team/ 6th in NFL for TE's. (20 catches or more.).

First Down %: 69.8- Leads team/ 8th in NFL for TE's. (20 catches or more.).

FreddieD IS our offensive threat, almost single handedly. Imagine what he'd be doing if we had a competent pro QB under center allowing Kyle to utilize him to his fullest. Re-signing him this pre-season is a TOP priority, as he'd start for the vast majority of teams in this league IMHO. Oh, in 115 career receptions and 1 rushing attempt, he's had ZERO fumbles. The dudes as sure handed as they come. A younger, faster, more athletic version of Cooley. With Chris complimenting him in a lesser role as his career winds down. If there's one are we are blessed at on this team through all the doom and gloom, it's TE.

As for today's game, going in, his opposite number, the Cowboys great Witten, who has a FAR better QB and offensive situation than what Fred does, compares thus:

(Davis #'s in red)

Rec: 49/ 43; Yds: 585/ 587; Av. Yds/ Ctch: 11.9/ 13.7; Av. Yds/ Gme: 65/ 65.2; TD: 4/ 2; Long: 64/ 40; Rec. 20 Yds+: 9/ 10; Rec. 40 Yds+: 1/ 1; FD: 32/ 30; FD % 65.3/ 69.8.

As you can see, FreddieD MORE than holds his own against Jason Witten, from a FAR worse situation.

We have many problems on this team, but TE, and one very special player in particular certainly isn't one of them.

Thus far in the first half of today's, this hasn't been one for the TE's. The Cowboys Martellus Bennet is the only TE with a positive reception for 4 yards, with Davis one catch for no gain. The TE's just haven't been targeted in the first half by either OC. Some good blocking going on by Bennet and Phillips for the 'Boys, and Paulsen for the B&G. Bad fumble by FreddieD trying to make something happen early in the first that lead to Dallas' first TD; and Bennet had a false start penalty for Dallas for 5 yards. I shall update today's stats at the end of the game, but to press that's all she wrote for the respective TE corps.

We welcome your thoughts.

Hail.

*Edit* Final Game Stats for the TE's.

Davis: 6 receptions for 49 yards/ Long 24/ 1 Fumb/ 1 Lost. He also had a drop that he scrambled to recover that wasn't recorded as a fumble, and another 19 yard reception called back for offensive holding.

Paulsen: 2 receptions for 17 yards/ Long of 13. Bad Pass Interference penalty in OT for 10 yards, leaving a first and 20; which he followed by getting 14 yards back on the next play, and the first down two plays later.

For Dallas, Witten had 3 receptions for 85 yards, with the longest for a TD of 59 yrds. And Bennett had 3 catches for 31 yards, with a long of 14. Witten also showed great awareness and hustle to recover a Romo sits to pee fumble in the second half.

Overall, the Dallas TE's came out on top today. But I'd take our 3 over any other group in the league. TE is one position we are set at with quality.

He is trying hard, maybe too hard. Hope the "alleged" drug issues do not end up n a suspension...
Yeah me too. Overall I thought he played well, but you might be right about him trying too hard.

Yeah, I think that was behind the fumble that lead to Dallas' first score. He was trying to make more out of it than was there.

Hail.

I was going nuts earlier when I was reading posts in the game day thread hoping that we let Fred, Rak, and Landry walk. I understand that some may overvalue them, as they are our players and that tends to happen, but if you let all of our playmakers walk we'll be left with worse than what we have. And I'm not a mathematician, but I'm pretty sure worse than what we have is pretty close to impossible.

I was going nuts earlier when I was reading posts in the game day thread hoping that we let Fred, Rak, and Landry walk. I understand that some may overvalue them, as they are our players and that tends to happen, but if you let all of our playmakers walk we'll be left with worse than what we have. And I'm not a mathematician, but I'm pretty sure worse than what we have is pretty close to impossible.

LOL, yeah you're right. I think a lot of the "CUT X PLAYER" posts come from the fact that we don't have a lot of huge play makers on this team right now, so we all sort of expect more from the guys we've seen make big plays in the past. Then when they let us down, people get emotional and extremely impulsive wanting to just cut everybody. Of course, I don't think we should, but that's the excuse I'm using for these people right now so I don't go insane reading some of their posts LOL.

As I said in the OP, Davis for me would start for the vast majority of teams in this league, and would be snapped up in a heatbeat. Why anyone would want him gone when he's a major weapon is utterly beyond me. I think folk are being harsh on Landry in forgetting he had a year off with no off-season or camp. He's clearly still not in game shape, and it's showed. The best thing we could do would be to IR him, and have him back fully fit next year with a full camp behind him and raring to go. And whilst Orakpo's got his flaws, he's still got the potential to be a top class pass rusher with experience. Beef up the inside, and our LB group suddenly looks real good indeed.

Hail.

As I said in the OP, Davis for me would start for the vast majority of teams in this league, and would be snapped up in a heatbeat. Why anyone would want him gone when he's a major weapon is utterly beyond me. I think folk are being harsh on Landry in forgetting he had a year off with no off-season or camp. He's clearly still not in game shape, and it's showed. The best thing we could do would be to IR him, and have him back fully fit next year with a full camp behind him and raring to go. And whilst Orakpo's got his flaws, he's still got the potential to be a top class pass rusher with experience. Beef up the inside, and our LB group suddenly looks real good indeed.

Hail.

Haha yeah, I understand that the game day thread is home to knee jerk reactions to bad plays. Thats why i thought it was funny they included Landry, considering he was inactive today...

But I completely agree- they're three of the guys I would consider part of the foundation of the franchise I see us building. Just another reason to be glad that fans are not in charge of personnel moves

Archived