Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eric McBride's groovy tattoo

@DCGoldPants

8-25-2011+8-41-52+PM.png

You guys notice this last night? No idea who the guy is. If he played at all. I had to look at Skins.com to figure out his name. Looks like he has a dream catcher tattoo. But when I first say it, I thought "Skins feathers". Then after rewinding and taking a screenshot, you can tell the difference. Either way.....very cool.

Eric went to Richmond and he was pretty much the best linebacker in school history. He's from the Richmond too and went to L.C. Bird. He's won almost every award and honor he was eligible to win at every level of competition he's played and was the soul of the defense the past four seasons, including our championship run. I really hope he finds a way to make the team.

Eric went to Richmond and he was pretty much the best linebacker in school history. He's from the Richmond too and went to L.C. Bird. He's won almost every award and honor he was eligible to win at every level of competition he's played and was the soul of the defense the past four seasons, including our championship run. I really hope he finds a way to make the team.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZ2tQo3A3bt3dwvXWeagnvSoagxC5biOcchGcCrgxe9RYcIX8o

Anybody have a guess as to why he has not gotten any play time. He certainly sounds solid.

The pecking order at ILB is still in flux and the starters have gotten a bit more playing time than usual at all positions this preseason.

McBride is probably a PS candidate right now because it's going to take time to sort out the position behind and beside London Fletcher.

The thing is, none of the other ILBs have looked all that great outside the solid play of Keyaron Fox. Rocky and Blades haven't played well. Perry Riley hasn't shone. So McBride will gain ground on them by doing nothing in games and practicing well.

Blades will probably be cut and if Rocky goes into the season as the starter, it won't be long before he loses his job to Fox. After that happens, he's not going to stay with the team for long. It might even make sense to cut him outright and plan on rushing Perry Riley up to speed in case Fox goes down or struggles.

Plus a lot of the second ILB snaps are going to be poached when Lorenzo and Kerrigan see the field--he'll either push Orakpo inside or play inside himself.

And the second ILB is also probably the first man off the field in the nickle and dime packages which we'll be in a significant portion of the game.

All that said, I think McBride has a fair opportunity to make the 53 man roster if he shows well for himself in the 4th preseason game. I imagine that's when he'll get the bulk of his in game opportunities. And if he does make the roster, there will be room for him to advance.

Some other obstacles: the jump in level of competition means the FCS players have to work harder to make the transition to the NFL than the FBS guys as a whole. I don't see that being a big issue for McBride. He is also smallish for a 3-4 linebacker, probably somewhere in the 230-240 range. He'll have to spend time shaping his body for the demands of the scheme.

I think he could be a valuable contributor down the line, mostly on special teams if he make the roster this season, but even as a starter in a couple of seasons.

Archived