Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: No one more valuable to Redskins than Lorenzo Alexander

themurf

alexander081111.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – no player is more valuable to the Washington Redskins than linebacker Lorenzo Alexander.

Sure, other players garner bigger contracts or more headlines, but if the Redskins are to become a consistent winner, it’s going to be because of guys like Alexander.

In addition to being Washington’s most consistent special teams performer over the last four seasons, 28-year-old has also managed to play guard, tackle, tight end, fullback, defensive tackle, defensive end and linebacker.

I caught up with the man teammates refer to as “One Man Gang” recently to see how he spent his offseason and to try to figure out once and for all if there’s anything Alexander can’t do on a football field.

Alright man, once you got word that the lockout was finally over, how stoked were you to be able to get back out here and put a helmet on someone?

“Seriously, I was ecstatic,” Alexander said. “I was getting that itch while I was just sitting around waiting. It was tough sitting around listening to all that legal jargon, so I’m happy to be out here doing what it is I love to do. I feel like I’m back into my normal flow with the guys playing ball and it’s a lot of fun to be back out here.”

Since you love to spend your offseason like no one else in football, these first few weeks are always spent trying to figure out how you’ve changed your body and what new positions you’re learning. I mean, it’s only a matter of time before you start calling yourself a safety or a quarterback, right?

(Laughs.) “You’re right about that,” he said. “If I keep losing 15 to 20 lbs. each offseason, pretty soon I’ll be playing strong safety or something. You know, the more you can do, the better you are for your team. That’s my role on this team and I’m always trying to create more value for myself. I’m here for them to plug in wherever they need me. We’ve got a lot of great depth at linebacker, so my job is to rotate in wherever they need me.”

I’ve always believed that the more you can do, the harder it is to get rid of you. Obviously you feel the same way, right?

“Exactly,” Alexander said. “Each year they bring in younger guys to take your spot, so the older you get, the more you’ve got to create value for yourself. Teams are always trying to look for someone younger, so I’m just going to continue to be as versatile as possible.”

I need you to be honest with me. Those player-run practices during the lockout were really just an excuse to get out of the house and take a break from your families, right? Were you actually getting anything out of those other than not having to do chores around the house?

(Laughs.) “Nah, nah, nah,” Alexander said. “I was getting something out of it because I was going to inside linebacker. I had Fletch [middle linebacker London Fletcher] out there teaching me, which is why I feel like I wasn’t so hesitant when training camp started. I’m probably a step faster than if I hadn’t started learning the position until I got to camp.”

That makes sense. How sorry do you feel for the rookies out here who didn’t get OTAs or minicamp to learn what’s expected of them?

Click here for the full article.

if we had 53 alexanders we'd be a competitor every year.

you just have to admire a guy who embraces a situation many would crumble in. they would complain about the changes, about the lack of being given a chance at a specific position, about being the guy who does a ton of work and gets little credit.

he seems to enjoy it, and i hope that leads to him having a hell of a career when all is said and done.

I have often thought that we need 52 more players with the heart, desire and passion that London Fletcher plays each game with. Everytime I see Alexander play I realize that we only need 51.

I really like the way you put this flexx.

I think we have been adding a lot of guys with this mentality and getting rid of the slackers who still party after a loss. This is a completely different team.

Archived