Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Leonard Hankerson doing drills this week...(Merged)

redskinsbaby123

I'm impressed he only missed one that I could see.

Most Miami fans are amazed that he has this rep for some reason, they all think we stole him. One in particular who is also a Cowboys fan said he is as good if not better than Irvin. And then there is his emotional side and where that came from.....

An emotional side

So, too, is Hankerson, who has had a tough life at times, but has remained gentle and humble and good-spirited.

“We’re both very, very emotional,’’ his mother said. “If you see him talking about his kids or how he’s going to help people once he goes to the NFL, he gets emotional. I guess it just touches him on the inside to know he’ll be able to do things like that.’’

Leonard’s father — Leonard Hankerson Sr. — was shot and killed 27 days before his namesake was born in January 1989. A Miami Herald story documented the Jan. 3, 1989 shooting in Fort Lauderdale by saying Hankerson Sr., 24, was the first Broward County homicide victim of the year, “shot by someone who wanted to sell crack cocaine on his street corner,’’ according to a sheriff’s investigator. Leonard ended up living a good deal of his youth with his paternal grandmother in the Melrose Park area of Fort Lauderdale.

“I never partied. I never hung out much. I always stayed home and did what I had to do — practice, class, meetings, study hall, taking care of my children.

“They have to go to the doctor. They have to eat. It’s very important you do right by them.’’

Doing right by them has ensured that Hankerson will do right for himself. Hankerson’s personal rewards will begin with the draft, then continue next month when he receives his bachelor’s degree in liberal arts.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/23/2182602_p2/miami-hurricanes-leonard-hankerson.html#ixzz1MQQmlqHG

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/23/2182602/miami-hurricanes-leonard-hankerson.html#ixzz1MQQB69Qi

---------- Post added May-15th-2011 at 08:58 AM ----------

Also in that Miami Herald article....

The 6-2, 205-pounder with broad shoulders, a baby face and a modest, easy-going manner, struggled to hang on to the ball during his first couple of years at Miami.

He had six catches for a meager 63 yards and a touchdown his freshman season and 11 catches for 140 yards and two touchdowns as a sophomore.

Plagued by drops, he began working with his uncle’s boss, youth coach Jack Doucett of Lake Worth, after his sophomore year. Doucett grew up next to former Dolphins great Mark Duper, who agreed to mentor and help instruct Hankerson every six or so sessions.

Over the course of two years, Doucett and Hankerson met at least 150 times at parks, with Doucett’s brother filming several drill sessions and putting them on YouTube for fans to watch.

“It was all about concentration,’’ Doucett said, “and with the concentration we wanted to create confidence.’’

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/23/2182602_p2/miami-hurricanes-leonard-hankerson.html#ixzz1MQRLZ1AL

---------- Post added May-15th-2011 at 09:02 AM ----------

Also found this to be interesting, Irvin, then Moss, then Hankerson. There are plenty of reasons to be exicited about this guy, I am thinking for the first time in along time of getting an offensive players jersey. Went to the same HS as Irvin, St. Thomas Aquinas in Ft. Lauderdale.

...With the University of Miami, under coach Jimmy Johnson, Irvin set school records for career receptions (143), receiving yards (2,423 - later broken by Santana Moss) and touchdown receptions (26).

.....CAREER: Arguably the best statistical season by a wide receiver in Miami history in 2010 ... Became just the third player in program history to record a 1,000-yard receiving season and the first to have 2,000 yards for a career and 1,000 in a season ... His 22 receiving touchdowns rank third all-time at Miami behind Michael Irvin (26) and Lamar Thomas (23) ... One of only three players in school history with back-to-back 800-yard receiving seasons (Irvin, Andre Johnson) ... Caught a pass in 26 straight games dating back to Sept. 7, 2009 ... Played in 41 games over his career (2007-2010) ... Earned First-Team All-ACC honors as a senior ... Wrapped up his career with 2,160 receiving yards on 134 receptions ... Named team most valuable player in final season.

Oh I see.

I saw two threads linking Hankerson's facebook page, and another video of Hank doing the drill where he catches baseballs one-handed. I naturally assumed this was a duplicate thread. I see the difference now.

The difference is the latest status update:

Headed to Cali for the rookie premiere. Also going to meet/workout with Beck.

Nice to see Hankerson is putting in work.

I've also noticed that Hankerson is good at self-promotion.

EDIT: I see the threads have been merged. Probably a good call by the mods. To the OP, you can always just put an update in the OP if you want to call attention to the fact Hankerson will be working out with Beck in Cali.

Archived