Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VIDEO: Redskins '11 Draft Class Highlights

Art Vandelay

Thanks for the video Art. I have to say I'm pleased with this group of players and I have a very good feeling about them. I trust my gut when it comes to football players and it's always been good to me when it comes to predictions whether they will be successful.

Great job with the video. I have no doubt that our first four picks will be solid starters. Hankerson looks to have the potential of being a great one, and both of the running backs may flourish in Shanny's system. I really like Paul's combination of speed, size and muscle. Watch out for Robinson -- he could be a Welker type guy. Before the draft, I was hoping we'd land Hankerson and Neild, so I'm quite pleased. Great draft. And by the way, didn't everyone question the 'skins for making Orakpo into a linebacker? Seems like that worked out ok. I bet you he'll be a great resource for Kerrigan.

Thanks to Hap for this, thought it gave some insight as to why Shanahan drafted him:

http://blog.redskins.com/2011/05/09/niles-paul-can-do-it-all/#continued

Nebraska-led by Redskins draft pick Roy Helu-was one of the top rushing attacks in the nation last year. More than three-quarters of the offensive plays were rushes, leaving the receivers with the important task of blocking downfield.

"We used to have little things going on each game, to see who could get the most knock-downs," Paul explained. "That was like the ultimate goal: to get a knock-down in a game. Getting a knock-down in a game was like getting a catch."

Except statistically. For a wide receiver that was looking to get drafted, Paul had to accept his role in the run-first offense and hope that teams would recognize his ability.

"I think it hurt my draft value," he said. "Because, y'know, some of the other guys-who I thought I was better than-went ahead of me 'cause they had more production than me."

Another appealing aspect of Paul's game is his ability to contribute to special teams.

At his pro day, he displayed good speed (4.4 in the 40), and excellent strength (24 reps on the bench)- both important aspects of coverage and returns. He has experience as both a returner and a gunner on the coverage team.

"I played on the kickoff team and punt team for Nebraska, so I've played in all aspects of the game," Paul told the media in his post-draft conference call. "I think I'm ready to come there and play my role on special teams."

That doesn't necessarily mean that he has expectations for where he'll play on the Redskins units. He understands that he will have stiff competition from the incumbent returner in Washington.

"There's no doubt that Brandon Banks is amazing at what he does," Paul said. "I remember him in college. I had to actually tackle him one time and it was almost impossible."

Well...I think our depth just got a lot better.

I wish the highlights showed Nields preventing a push on a goal line stand and Gomes locking somebody down or blitzing well or something. But I'll take this for now.

I think this becomes very dangerous for Brandon Banks, with the new rules and the fact that the other potential returners can contribute in other areas.

Not at all...

I mean...ILB? Really? Where'd they get that idea? He's like 6'0 even and 205 pounds.

I keep hearing Nickel corner and Special Teamer.

I have no idea. Just something I read. Thought it was crazy.

"Helu.... goodbye." :D

Now if we could only get Frank Herzog to say that during Redskins games instead of Larry Michael then it would turn into a catchy phrase for him! lol

---------- Post added May-9th-2011 at 11:36 PM ----------

I like the draft classes potential. One thing people should remember is that NFL speed is much faster than College speed. So while Helu took off and broke free on many runs in college, he wont do that in the NFL. He seems like a guy who can get chunks of yards with good vision but is not fluid enough to be a game changer at RB. We will rotate him with Torrain and Royster. Evan Royster looks very athletic. I could really see him do some damage for us if given space to operate. In both RBs our O-line wil be paramount!

Archived