Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld's Take on the Skins draft....

COWBOY-KILLA-

Why would you take undrafted players if you could go back and re-pick, flock? It's not like we still can't go bring those guys in.

NO, these were the picks as it happened.....you dont know if they will go undrafted at that point and some of my picks DID get picked. As for still going and getting them now....COOL...Oh wait, because of the lockout, teams cant sign undrafted players untill a new CBA is in place. My picks were based on need.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 02:05 PM ----------

john_keim John Keim

Kiper liked the #Redskins pick of Kerrigan, Hankerson. Said Robinson "could be a steal." did not like that they failed to help OL.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 11:56 AM ----------

CHaracter and work ethic (especially after Shanahan's experience with intolerant defensive linemen) were big factors and is a central theme in the direction we're going. So the guys you named might have not been in Shanny's sights just because of that. I'm not sure why Pat Devlin dropped...but I think he's hard working, smart, and fits a WCO...so I wouldn't mind us picking him up.

Im sure thats why Powe dropped...BUT, it is such a huge need, Id take a 5th round flier on him

Just by looking at Kerrigan's game film. I can tell dude is a prototypical 3-4 OLB. His instincts are outstanding and his motor is non stop. I think pairing him and Orakpo is almost perfect man. Orakpo is a freakishly strong (see Steelers tackle lifted from feet in 10' preseason game) and is unpredictable while Kerrigan has a constant motor and will frequently disrupt opposing offenses. It is really alot to worry about when you think about it. Orakpo is an outstanding pass rusher and decent at stopping the run and Kerrigan is outstanding at rushing the passer as well as suffocating the run. The only question is both of their coverage skills. Orakpo is already a liability in coverage (unless he improves during offseason of course) and Kerrigan's coverage skills are unknown (even though his insticts would tell u he's an all around great LOLB). However, despite coverage skill liability, that's what great coordinators are for and our secondary is the strongest unit of our team anyway so I'm very giddy to see how it looks on the field together.

I am also in love with the Jenkins pick and the Nield pick of course. WHile ppl say we reached for Jenkins, thats not true because 3 more teams were going to nab him within 10 picks after us. He's a prototypical 3-4 DE and thats what we needed to replace the aging Philip Daniels. While he flopped in many of his 09' games. He improved vastly and was unblockable in his 10' games. Here is one of them right here...dude is fast for a DE and just has a huge body. Here is a 10' game where he simply abused UNC's Oline...

Now for Neild...my man Neild. This dude is a beast and I hear NOTHING but good things about him. While he did not get much praise for his time at WVU. He was the ANCHOR for one of the top rated defenses in the country.

@john_keim John Keim

More from Mel Kiper: Said Neild could be a Kelly Gregg type eventually. #Redskins

and for anyone thinking this guy can't be the anchor and NT for our team for years to come....and be effective at it just because he's a 7th round pick...tell that to Fletcher...who was undrafted. Doesn't matter where u were picked foreal. We got a baller at NT baby.

and my dude Hankerson!!! No we didn't get a underwear Model or a guy with glass knees. We drafted a grown ***** man with the maturity to raise a family with love and presence in a financially unstable situation. I'm pretty sure he will live up to his paycheck so we might as well sign him up to that deal soon. He was ranked behind Julio and Green as the 3rd best receiver in the draft is many rankings.

The same for my man Niles Paul...despite the petty charges on his record, he said Helu (the elusive RB we drafted) helped him develop into a grown man. So we drafted two guys from the same school with a mutual bond and work ethic that we are striving to develop in this organization.

and even the LB Marcus White who I thnk can develop into a great situaional backup at OLB. Despite battlign seizures since 7th grade..he's still been able to develop into a scary pass rusher.

I don't feel like writing about everyone but after doing research on all 12 players....the common theme is high motor, heart for the game, maturity, accountability, physicality, and dedication. No not the diva Brandon Lloyd, not the inept Archuleta, not the female Alberta...but we just picked up 12 ballers that love football and want to win. Whether 3rd string, starter, star, special teams. I see 90% of these guys contributing to our superbowl in the future. Thank you Shanahan. We've been through enough soap opera bull****...now lets play football.

i actually agree Greg McElroy would've been a great pick for us.. i would've replaced the SMU receiver with him.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Aldrick Robinson is a beast and is very underrated. I believe he can instantly contribute in the slot and on special teams. McElroy is no better than Beck so why draft him??!! It isn't like he has upside. That would have been a wasted pick. McElroy will never be a starter.

I know we need a QB, but Mike is not stupid. He does not have time to groom a QB at this time. None. He has to win, or atlest get this club going in the right direction. None of the QB's were worth it to me. Each had a glitch. And none really domionated the college ranks except Cam Newton, who needed one more year in my opinion. I know he won the Heisman, and the National Championship, but you groom your talents in college, accollades not with standing. None of the QB's were ready to face the NFC East. In the long run, Mike will lean on the running game, and a strong defense. We can win a bunch of games that way.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2011 at 09:12 PM ----------

But honestly we always do something crazy in the draft. We should have drafted ANdy Dalton. We should have drafted Leshourse from Illinios instead of Helu, even though Helu looks like he's perfect for Shan's system. There is always something we coould have done different. I hate that. Why not just go with convention, and get value picks for our needs. Even Kerigan was a reach in my opinion. We are asking players to change their whole approach to the game just because we want to run the 3-4. WHy not do what Don Shula said, and adapt the system to the personel. And again, what's up with the 3-4. We are doing so much to accomidate that scheme, it's crazy. I have a feeling Mike is going to look even more foolish with taht spray on tan, and bleach teeth this year.

I am sure Shanny has "a plan". I just hope its a new plan. I question his planning based on his plan last year. Specifically, acquiring vets (McNabb Brown) for picks, while at the same time, wrecking our defense by converting to a 3-4 without the players to do so. Our defense was an epic failure last year, wrecking the entire season. Which left us scrambling to acquire picks on draft day, and "3-4" guys.

So while he has a plan to get a QB one day, win the super bowl, I see his plan from last year as flawed from the start. So while I see some nice players drafted, I choose to refrain from unbridled optimism based on the early returns this year. Its a mere guess to grade the draft at this time. Our top pick has never been in pass coverage, never been hand out of the dirt for the most part. Are we going to rush him and Rak on every play? Rak hasnt exactly excelled in pass coverage. In fact, I think we ran a lot of 4-3 under looks last year because of it. The 3-4 causes turnovers by not knowing where the blitz is coming from. With OLB's stiff in space, they do.

I am sure Shanny has "a plan". I just hope its a new plan. I question his planning based on his plan last year. Specifically, acquiring vets (McNabb Brown) for picks, while at the same time, wrecking our defense by converting to a 3-4 without the players to do so. Our defense was an epic failure last year, wrecking the entire season. Which left us scrambling to acquire picks on draft day, and "3-4" guys.

So while he has a plan to get a QB one day, win the super bowl, I see his plan from last year as flawed from the start. So while I see some nice players drafted, I choose to refrain from unbridled optimism based on the early returns this year. Its a mere guess to grade the draft at this time. Our top pick has never been in pass coverage, never been hand out of the dirt for the most part. Are we going to rush him and Rak on every play? Rak hasnt exactly excelled in pass coverage. In fact, I think we ran a lot of 4-3 under looks last year because of it. The 3-4 causes turnovers by not knowing where the blitz is coming from. With OLB's stiff in space, they do.

:applause:

Ultimately, this is Dan Snyder's fault. His plan was doomed from the start because he hired a retread HC and yes man GM with a poor track record in the draft.

BUT, he made a step in the right direction by hiring a GM. Should be an obvious move to anyone, but doing this was took him a decade to figure out. Let's just hope the next GM he hires is actually strong on college personnel.

Archived