Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld's Take on the Skins draft....

COWBOY-KILLA-

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/37849/174/draft-2011-nfc-grades?pg=2

Washington Redskins

16. Ryan Kerrigan, linebacker, Purdue.

41. Jarvis Jenkins, defensive end, Clemson.

79. Leonard Hankerson, wide receiver, Miami.

105. Roy Helu, running back, Nebraska.

146. DeJon Gomes, safety, Nebraska.

155. Niles Paul, wide receiver, Nebraska.

177. Evan Royster, running back, Penn State.

178. Aldrick Robinson, wide receiver, SMU.

213. Brandyn Thompson, cornerback, Boise State.

217. Maurice Hurt, guard, Florida.

224. Markus White, linebacker, Florida State.

253. Chris Neild, nose tackle, West Virginia.

Overview: The name of the game for Washington was trading down to recoup picks lost during the forgettable Vinny Cerrato era. But it's not like the Redskins didn't come away with good players. Entering the draft with the NFL's worst-looking roster, the Skins emerged with upwards of seven rookie-year starters. That's exactly the kind of rebuilding movement Washington needs to undergo. Kerrigan, Hankerson, and Helu were extremely productive per-play collegiates. In the late rounds, White and Neild stand out as rock-solid picks. The only reason Mike Shanahan's club doesn't get a full "A" is because it didn't pick up a quarterback.

Grade: A-

I believe this has the chance to be a great draft...Kudos to the staff.

This was an awesome pick and it would have been a solid A with the pickup of Greg McElvoy.

Really? A QB that went into the 7th round? To a team with a young, up and coming QB? I have to agree with Shanny and Bruce. I didn't think there was a QB in this years draft that would represent a significant upgrade to what they have on the roster. I think next year is the QB rich draft; albeit not as deep. But with so many teams going for QB's this year I think the competition will be more in our favor for trading up.

Adam Schein gave us an A-

http://msn.foxsports.com/video?vid=e76e377b-2dad-4792-97c0-999b9c01a479&from=foxsports_en-us_videocentral

Adam Caplan

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/2011-NFL-draft-grades-for-each-team-043011

Washington Redskins: B

Draft picks: DE Ryan Kerrigan (first round), DT Jarvis Jenkins (second round), WR Leonard Hankerson (third round), RB Roy Helu (fourth round), S Dejon Gomes (fifth round),WR Niles Paul (fifth round), RB Evan Royster (sixth round), WR Aldrick Robinson (sixth round), DB Brandyn Thompson (seventh round), OL Maurice Hurt (seventh round), DE Markus White (seventh round), DT Chris Neild (seventh round).

Analysis: The Redskins added a lot of selections as the draft progressed, and they made the most out of them by addressing several needs. The big issue, however, is whether Kerrigan can make an impact on defense by playing standing up at outside linebacker.

I have no problem with the Redskins not drafting a qb cause it shows me that they r building for the future and not trying the quick fix approach hopefully next year we can land a true franchise QB in the draft..... Also I hope we can get some O-linemen in FA and maybe an ILB and NT

i actually agree Greg McElroy would've been a great pick for us.. i would've replaced the SMU receiver with him.

that SMU reciever was considered one of the steals of the late rounds by more than a few people.

the review i heard on McElroy? he may be a decent backup in 3 years.

a 7th round qb does not make this draft. seriously it's pathetic.

Thats an overly-optimistic assumption that we will get 7 rookie starters out of this. Thats just crazy talk. We'll be lucky if 7 of these guys make the team. I count Kerrigan, Jenkins, and Hankerson as rookie starters. Where do the other 4 come from? Ok lets be optimistic and say Helu beats out Torain, thats 4. Ok maybe they dont re-sign Moss or any other big free agent WR, lets give Niles Paul a start next to Hankerson, thats 5. I can't find a 6th or 7th starter unless they are talking about Neild starting at nose, which i find hard to believe from a rookie 7th rounder.

So i count 5 rookie starters and thats being really optimistic.

Three rookie starters for week one. Max. Still a good, well thought out draft.

If that actually happens, that's a phenomenal draft. Hell, we drafted 3 pass catchers in 2008 (with no one blocking them on the roster) and none of them were able to start in 2 years (let alone week 1 of year 1). If we even add 3 EVENTUAL starters from one single draft, we should be thrilled.

Thats an overly-optimistic assumption that we will get 7 rookie starters out of this. Thats just crazy talk. We'll be lucky if 7 of these guys make the team. I count Kerrigan, Jenkins, and Hankerson as rookie starters. Where do the other 4 come from? Ok lets be optimistic and say Helu beats out Torain, thats 4. Ok maybe they dont re-sign Moss or any other big free agent WR, lets give Niles Paul a start next to Hankerson, thats 5. I can't find a 6th or 7th starter unless they are talking about Neild starting at nose, which i find hard to believe from a rookie 7th rounder.

So i count 5 rookie starters and thats being really optimistic.

Special Teams doesn't count?

A starter on ST is a starter, you know. :)

Furthermore, Shanny has shown that guys make the team through ST. They don't just stay there on Special Teams for long if they do well... we haven't had a coach give good ST players opportunities on offense and defense like Shanny in a long time.

that SMU reciever was considered one of the steals of the late rounds by more than a few people.

the review i heard on McElroy? he may be a decent backup in 3 years.

a 7th round qb does not make this draft. seriously it's pathetic.

chances the SMU makes the Roster with the WRs that we have and have coming back.. Chances that McElroy (who is a very intellegent qb.. very accurate qb.. a qb who has won at every level and a qb that will work hard to be better) and im sure that the pats fans that got tom brady in the 6th round didn't think that he would make their draft.. im just saying that we front loaded in the WR area and could've used that pick on a young developmental QB.. spread the wealth a little more.. but if you think we can turn all of our receivers into a set of receivers like that of the GB packers or the saints then go ahead..ALso many many said that McElroy was a steal in the 7th round also.

If Shanhan and Allen truly wanted McElroy, they would've used one of the two 6th round picks on him. WR and RB were clearly better needs in their minds at the time. IMO, I think they feel pretty set at QB right now. That might change after a new CBA is reached. Although I still and always will maintain that McNabb is their best option at the position.

chances the SMU makes the Roster with the WRs that we have and have coming back.. Chances that McElroy (who is a very intellegent qb.. very accurate qb.. a qb who has won at every level and a qb that will work hard to be better) and im sure that the pats fans that got tom brady in the 6th round didn't think that he would make their draft.. im just saying that we front loaded in the WR area and could've used that pick on a young developmental QB.. spread the wealth a little more.. but if you think we can turn all of our receivers into a set of receivers like that of the GB packers or the saints then go ahead..ALso many many said that McElroy was a steal in the 7th round also.

front loaded at WR? please tell me you're joking. since you're not familiar with this team, let me just remind you that a 27 year old rookie off the street who was playing football in parking lots was our #2 guy on this team. hell he doesn't even return kicks. our #1 is a FA and would jump at a chance to be on a winner, and i wouldn't blame him one bit he deserves it. banks played 6 snaps all year at WR and is a risk to stay healthy if he keeps returning kicks, especially kickoffs.

and what's the point of taking a developmental qb just for the sake of it. we're not getting value out of that. we're wasting a roster and draft spot on a guy who won't play for years and doesn't have a whole lot of upside. Jason Campbell went undefeated, so it doesn't always translate.

i'm sure troy smith was a steal whenever the ravens drafted him, he won the heisman. doesn't translate.

again since you obviously have a mental block to this:

DRAFTING A QB DOESN'T MEAN HE'LL MAKE IT THROUGH THE OFFSEASON, LET ALONE EVER START OR BACKUP FOR THIS TEAM.

we've gone through a TON of "developmental" qbs and they haven't worked. why should shanny draft a kid he doesn't believe in just because he's there. we're not in the business of luxury picks. we're much better off drafting a guy who can actually make the team and contribute week 1, even if it's on special teams.

but i can already tell by your attitude you're the kind of guy who was cult of colt. how's that working out as a flyer on a developmental guy? just another wasted pick, and this team can't afford those anymore.

From Rob Rang NFLDraftScout.com posted on yahoo

Washington Redskins: A

Historically known for aggressively trading up in the draft, the Redskins took the opposite strategy in 2011, deftly moving down the board, picking up more selections and still addressing keys area of need. Having run a 3-4 defense for the past few seasons despite fielding a team largely built on 4-3 personnel, the Redskins added a prototypical edge-rusher in Ryan Kerrigan(notes) to pair with Brian Orakpo(notes). While many characterized the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year as strictly a 4-3 defensive end, Kerrigan actually projects better as an OLB as he doesn't use his hands particularly well, but has burst, agility and great instincts. The Redskins added a classic five-technique defensive end in Clemson's Jarvis Jenkins(notes) in the second round and addressed their need for receivers with size in Miami's Leonard Hankerson and Nebraska's Niles Paul in the third and fifth rounds. No head coach has enjoyed as much success with late-round running backs as Mike Shanahan, and he could have worked his magic again with Roy Helu (Nebraska) and Penn State's Evan Royster in the fourth and sixth rounds. Helu, in particular, is an ideal fit in a zone-scheme, as he can plant his foot and accelerate downhill explosively. In terms of adding multiple players who fit their scheme and will improve the overall talent of their club, no team was more effective this year than the Redskins.

I have no idea how there could be 7 starters on this team. WR's almost never start right away. I'd guess Kerrigan for sure, possibly Jenkins and 1 of the RB's could start. Besides that I really don't see a 7th round guy starting on the DL. So I think I'll go with 2 maybe 3 immediate starters. Maybe just 1 though. The only pick I really kinda question is Jenkins that high and no Center picked. If he's a stud, great, if he isn't then they really reached on a guy most had going in the 3rd anyway.

As late as McElroy went he could be available as a FA before the year starts. Of course if some people are right and he's the next Tom Brady then he's probably #2 on the Jets roster at the start of the season.

if you mean "starters" as in the guys who appear on the starting lineup graphic on mnf then probably just a couple. But if you include a #2 RB, #3 or 4 WR, or DE who is rotated in for significant playing time, I think we are looking at a bunch of guys who will see the field regularly

i actually agree Greg McElroy would've been a great pick for us.. i would've replaced the SMU receiver with him.

When Aldrick Robinson, a.k.a. "the SMU receiver", burns someone deep for a TD this year you go right ahead and start chanting "Greg McElroy"...I'm sure he'll appreciate that while he's getting gatorade for everyone on somebody elses sideline.

SkinsFanMania however will be chanting "McElVoy" :ols:

all the cries over the years that we needed to build solid, young depth, and all we're talking about is who can start right away? I think that's short sighted.

Our collective front 7 is improved, our RB and WR corps are improved. Our secondary should have an easier time as our new players should create more pressure than last year's D. Whatever QB start for us should have a variety of weapons to work with on offense now. Once Ryan Harris and Joseph/Studdard come here, we should have an improved starting OL as well.

I give the draft an A- based purely on the players themselves we picked and how many picks we wound up getting.

If McElroy was the starting QB for Duke last season,he would be in the UDFA thread.

julio jones 1st round

mark ingram 1st round

james carpenter 1st round

not to mention their other running back and offensive talent still on the team and all the early defensive picks over the last two years that helps.

Special Teams doesn't count?

A starter on ST is a starter, you know. :)

Furthermore, Shanny has shown that guys make the team through ST. They don't just stay there on Special Teams for long if they do well... we haven't had a coach give good ST players opportunities on offense and defense like Shanny in a long time.

With these WR selections over the last couple of years, that ST focus makes it hard for a guy like Kelly to fight his way back into the 53 man roster, imo. He ain't making this team as a #3 or below WR. He's gonna have to look damn good as an outright #1 / #2 guy.

With these WR selections over the last couple of years' date=' that ST focus makes it hard for a guy like Kelly to fight his way back into the 53 man roster, imo. He ain't making this team as a #3 or below WR. He's gonna have to look damn good as an outright #1 / #2 guy.[/quote']

good. put up or shut up time. no more keeping these coaches pets around for years because they look good for a week or two and then get hurt and are out for the season.

With these WR selections over the last couple of years' date=' that ST focus makes it hard for a guy like Kelly to fight his way back into the 53 man roster, imo. He ain't making this team as a #3 or below WR. He's gonna have to look damn good as an outright #1 / #2 guy.[/quote']

Yea I completely agree-- I'd say that at long last this is Kelly's make or break year. We finally have quite a bit of competition for him on the WR depth chart: Moss may re-sign, Armstrong and Banks are locks, and following them you got Hankerson, Austin, Paul, Robinson, and Roydell. I'd love for Kelly to put all that potential on display this season, but with the group we have now we just can't afford to keep paying Kelly to rehab.

Archived