Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld's Take on the Skins draft....

COWBOY-KILLA-

Really? A QB that went into the 7th round? To a team with a young, up and coming QB? I have to agree with Shanny and Bruce. I didn't think there was a QB in this years draft that would represent a significant upgrade to what they have on the roster. I think next year is the QB rich draft; albeit not as deep. But with so many teams going for QB's this year I think the competition will be more in our favor for trading up.

Beck is going to be 30 next year. He's not that young. BYU grads are generally 27 or 28 because they do a 3 or 4 year mission trip.

I think the seven starters they are mentioning are possibly in the future not so much week one. So they are saying the Skins for once drafted solid players.

Kerrigan, Jenkins, Hankerson, Helu, Nield all could possibly start week one (Kerrigan, Jenkins, and Hankerson will). 5 out of 7 ain't bad.

I actually liked McElroy a lot and thought Tyrod Taylor would have been a nice project for the Skins if they could have gotten him late with one of their 6th or 7th round picks... but speaking as realistically and fairly as i can... McElroy is a good QB (National Champion a year ago...last time i looked) but he will never have Brady's arm and feel for the game imo and Tyrod Taylor as gifted as he is athletically is no Mike Vick and probably never will be. If McElroy was close to being the next coming of Brady, he wouldn't have made it past the 4th round in this QB obsessed draft. There are probably some legitimate concerns with McElroy's long term prospects and thus the slide to the 7th round. Quite frankly...I don't think the Jets would have wasted a pick on McElroy if free agents could have been signed right after the draft and brought in to start learning the system immediately. A lot of the 7th round picks yesterday were picked because there is no rookie free agent signing period right now due to the lockout. Some teams picked players in the 7th round this year that they weren't comfortable waiting to sign as free agents, only God knows when... I suspect some teams would have drafted a little differently in the late rounds yesterday if they had rookie free agency as a back up plan to work with but without rookie free agency this year, the 7th round of this year's draft kind of turned into a free-for-all, where some teams had to reach on a few guys who they wouldnt be able to sign right after the draft as free agents.

Chris Neild may be our starting NT before the end of the season... and Jenkins and Kerrigan may start opening day... they're all around 22 years old... we're going to get better for sure. I wish the 2012 draft was next week! I see DB/LB/OL a need next year.

Are we even so sure Hankerson will start for us week 1? How is his route running? Is he NFL-ready? I still see us going after a big name WR when free agency starts to replace Moss.

Read in several places that his route running is one of his strengths. Ditto Aldrick Robinson. One of Niles Paul's weaknesses though.

After following the draft thread yesterday, reading some of the media reports and reading some of the comments in this thread, a couple of things stand out:

* All of the draft picks were captains, good character guys and/or noted hard workers. "Blue Collar", "brings his lunch pail", "plays every down", "works hard after practice". Okay, Hankerson had some alcohol issues in college. BUT, he's also working with Chris Carter and Mark Duper to improve his route running AND he was a captain on the team.

* Not one pick was a "reach". Even the trade up for Helu was not considered a "reach" by any of the experts.

* Not one wasted pick. Sure, some of these guys might need some time to mature, but no one is considered a "project". As someone commented in this thread, the Skins cannot afford to have a 2-3 year "project" on this roster.

I think the message is clear from Bruce & Shanny: We want hard working guys that are all about the team.

So glad none of these guys are big-mouth, "me" players.

I think that any site that says we didn't get an "A" because we chose not to pick a QB is wrong. I honestly believe that Shanny has a plan, and felt that the QB's available weren't worth it. If they say we got a "B" because of Kerrigan not having experience at LB, or comments about Jarvis Jenkins (lack of strength, needs more work, feet, 2 technique, etc...), I feel that is reasonable.

an A? but we didn't draft a QB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111 and I wanted Taraus Johnson to be our #1 receiverz111111111

We Will get our Qb. The skins had a great draft. Especially when it comes to depth. I have no problem with them not drafting a QB.

We Will get our Qb. The skins had a great draft. Especially when it comes to depth. I have no problem with them not drafting a QB.

I don't know if you realized it or not but I was being sarcastic.........extremely sarcastic.

I think that any site that says we didn't get an "A" because we chose not to pick a QB is wrong. I honestly believe that Shanny has a plan, and felt that the QB's available weren't worth it. If they say we got a "B" because of Kerrigan not having experience at LB, or comments about Jarvis Jenkins (lack of strength, needs more work, feet, 2 technique, etc...), I feel that is reasonable.

exactly. i just don't get how picking some 7th round qb would make sense and give us an A, just because people like mcelroy because he's a nice, smart, charismatic kid. i like taking a big NT type guy who will get to compete for a starting spot at what was a weak position for us last year instead of a nice likeable guy.

schefter even said that he had talked to shanny and he told him they didn't want any of the qbs in the draft this year. we can pick up a developmental type guy off the streets who has more upside than mcelroy, so why waste a pick?

It looks to me like we just got a bunch of guys to help the switch to the 3-4 D;

and hope a couple of our WRs and running backs, either drafted or already on the team, will emerge.

At least, that's the way it turned out.

so we drafted guys for our defense, special teams, wrs, and rbs....

i fail to see the problem with that.

Hankerson will probably start imo... There aren't a lot of exceptional WR free agents available this year anyway (as of right now). Normally I would say no way... but with the likes of Anthony Armstrong, Malcolm Kelly, Brandon Banks, Terrence Austin and Roydell Williams the only WR's signed at this point... Hankerson's chances are looking pretty good, as long as the work stoppage ends soon and he picks up shanahan's system pretty quickly (2 Big If's I guess)

---------- Post added May-1st-2011 at 07:10 PM ----------

A Center and a Tackle would have been nice but how many o-lineman drafted 5th round or later ever start their first or second year? probably not that many... You can only address so many needs in the draft. At some point, free agency is going to be the best way to address the o-line, where starters are concerned. There's no time to develop lineman at this point. The skins need o-lineman who are ready to compete for a starting position immediately. In other words, a 5th, 6th or 7th round center or OT probably had little to no chance of being an effective starter if they slipped that far in the draft.

Wish we could have snagged a center somewhere along the way. That will be a glaring hole all year. Rabach FTL.

Lyle Sendlein is a free agent from the Cardinals. Hes 27 and has been their starting center for awhile. Could be an upgrade.

Archived