Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

From DRAFT HEADQUARTERS BLOG - 4/13/2011 Draft (fine i will change it) Stuff

bedlamVR

I'd be fine with skipping or waiting on a QB this year, but I wouldn't do it to take a RB. There's a lot of talent to be had in the trenches this year, where we drastically need help.

Whether it would be a LG that would allow Kory to move to C, or a RG that's just an upgrade over Montgomery. Since it appears Ryan Harris has all but signed w/ the Redskins I assume RT is filled.

Then on the defensive side of the ball there are some great 5-techs, OLB, NT available.

If the Redskins were somehow able to finagle a series of trades that allowed them to land both Pouncey and Cameron Heyward, I would be ecstatic.

I hate the "COMMITTED" to finding a QB in the first two rounds. That is BS. We should listen to our draft board.

It seems like teams are more desperate than ever and are willing to select a QB just to say they selected a QB. I believe next year's class will be better than this year's class, so I hate that we're committed to finding a solution this year.

I'm come to the conclusion that I don't want a QB early in this draft. I'd be much happier with a Tyrod Taylor or McElroy late in the draft as a project and future backup. We should let other teams reach wildly for QBs this year and then we'd have less competition for QBs next year.

I agree with you 100%. IMHO the only QB that was worth it in this and last years drafts was Sam Bradford. Bradford is even more special than Peyton Manning in my humble honest opinion. However the rest of the QBs aren't worth the risk. I'd wait for someone like Andrew Luck. This years class is filled with nothing but NFL backups and subpar starters at best. But then you look at other positions and there are some real strong players available. Guys like Patrick Peterson at CB, Mark Ingram at RB, AJ Green and Julio Jones at WR. Marcus Pouncey on the offensive line (who might be had later if a trade back deal was made). There's also some very good defensive linemen and linebackers. All of those positions could help our football team, more than the QB position. Let's be real here. There is no QB in this years draft that is going to out perform Rex Grossman as our starting QB this year, or the next year either. People also forget that Rex is a first round Quarterback himself, plus he's started in a Superbowl after having a great season that year! Farther more, He's been in this system going into his 3rd season now so he's ready to excel. There is no rookie QB that is going to pick up the offense to the level that Rex has, and no rookie QB is going to out play Rex Grossman. I know Rex has his flaws, but let's be real. Any rookie that you take is going to have more flaws.

I'd rather wait for a better QB class than to reach for one with better players at other positions available. Any of those positions could improve our team.

Granted I would have loved to land Sam Bradford, we tried but it just didn't work out.However to say that none of the QB's this year are worth drafting, to me is just nonsense.For you never, never truly know what you may find.Matt Hasselbeck,Matt Schaub and Tom Brady were mid-to-late rd.picks and have worked out pretty well for their teams.While I agree that there is a lot of talent at other positions that could really help this team in the early rds.Julio Jones,Patrick Peterson,Marcus Pouncey,Mark Ingram etc....and I am not oppposed to picking one of those guys.I simply feel not picking a QB this year would be a mistake.We have a lot of holes to fill and QB is a big one.Pick one this year and start grooming him.If by next year they feel he can start, awesome! If not keep him as insurance.He can be a backup and/or competion for the QB we pick in 2012 which could be(though I seriously doubt)Andrew Luck.If we don't pick a QB this year we are just delaying our success and extra couple years.Though it may not be the most popular choice Rex is our best choice at QB this year.Let him hold the reigns while we fill in the other pieces of the puzzle through the draft and FA(whenever it might start).I don't feel grabbing a QB early this year is a reach.I think it's the smart thing to do.HAIL

Archived