Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

twitter: Judge Neslon will impose forced mediation on NFL/NFLPA early this week

SMOSS89

All she has to do is say all players are unrestricted free agents. There is no salary cap or draft. Players are free to sign with anyone they choose.

The league; however may set any limit it wants to on number of players, including 11, or number of games, including 20.

Oh by the way, if the season doesn't start on time, all NFL contracts, including those with networks, are voided.

This order becomes effective in 72 hours unless a different agreement is reached.

Yeah I think a "poison pill" deal like this might work .... treat the league as she would any other business ... which can pretty much set any conditions on their employees they want that aren't in violation of other laws ... on the other hand the NFL would have to say goodbye to all the fringe benefits of its antitrust exemptions - so say goodbye to your exclusive licensing deals with Reebok, EA, and DirecTV :-)

What this decision means: Mediation is in Minnesota, not DC. Bad for the NFL because this means mediation is not taking place under the auspices of "collective barganing." It's a win for the players because it means that they will prevail in the decertification of the union, which the NFL didn't want. No union means that the NFL has lost some of its barganing power. The CBA is now moot and no longer in existance. Players now have more leverage. It also indicates the way the judge is thinking in regard to the case and her decision. NFL is not looking too good. Of course, their spin is positive for them, but in reality the situation is not good for them.

What this decision means: Mediation is in Minnesota, not DC. Bad for the NFL because this means mediation is not taking place under the auspices of "collective barganing." It's a win for the players because it means that they will prevail in the decertification of the union, which the NFL didn't want. No union means that the NFL has lost some of its barganing power. The CBA is now moot and no longer in existance. Players now have more leverage. It also indicates the way the judge is thinking in regard to the case and her decision. NFL is not looking too good. Of course, their spin is positive for them, but in reality the situation is not good for them.

So do you think this improves the chances of an injunction being granted at the very least?

Yes, I think there will be an injunction and this strengthens the players suit. They have to be careful to keep themselves separate from any part of the now defunct NFLPA, I think including the head of NFLPA and its lawyers. Otherwise, the NFL will try to say that the NFLPA is still in existence and will want to resort to collective barganing which favors them. Without the players, the marquee players, the NFL doesn't really exist, the teams' owners own a whole lot of nothing except team name and stadiums. Now who has the leverage? I'd also argue that the draft is illegal and unenforceable. If players can't be free agents and sign contract, how can draftees sign contracts?

Yes, I think there will be an injunction and this strengthens the players suit. They have to be careful to keep themselves separate from any part of the now defunct NFLPA, I think including the head of NFLPA and its lawyers. Otherwise, the NFL will try to say that the NFLPA is still in existence and will want to resort to collective barganing which favors them. Without the players, the marquee players, the NFL doesn't really exist, the teams' owners own a whole lot of nothing except team name and stadiums. Now who has the leverage? I'd also argue that the draft is illegal and unenforceable. If players can't be free agents and sign contract, how can draftees sign contracts?

I thought that if there was a preliminary injunction the NFL would be compelled to end the lockout and operate under the CBA until a full anti-trust trial went ahead, which would not be for months. The NFL would have too much to lose to let an anti-trust trial go ahead; they would definitely appeal against an injunction, leading to more weeks of delays, but it's unlikely the appeal would work.

Archived