Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does anybody here have artificial knees, or know anything about them?

Oversized Toddler

My knees have been gradually falling apart my entire life, and I always assumed it was just regular wear and tear. I have been to several Orthopedists in the last 7 years for the problems I have with them, but it's always the same result.....here - wear this brace, take these pills, and sign up for physical therapy. I'm over the cycle, I just want to be able to walk without being in pain and having to sit down all the time.

Over the years, I've had several subluxations of the patella, 3 cysts in my knees, and just problem after problem. This last time I went, the doctor decided to do several xrays and ordered an MRI. I had an MRI done on my right knee before, but this guy wanted both done. The results came back this morning for everything, and he somehow managed to find something that all of the other so called experts never had.

1. I have complete deterioration of the knee cartilage. This has gradually gotten worse since my last MRI. He said I have almost no cartilage left in either knee.

2. I have 3 genetic disorders in each knee, and over the years, only 1 had ever been discovered. The tendons and ligaments in my knees are too short on one knee and too long on the other. This is the thing I've know about for years. The new things he discovered were that I have no peak on the back of my patella to hold it in place on either knee, so it pretty much floats wherever it pleases, which explains all the dislocations. Also, where the bones of your leg meet, there is supposed to be a deep groove that the peak on the back of your patella rides along when you bend your leg. Instead of a deep groove, I have a flat plain.

Now personally, with all this being found out, I don't know how it is that my problems haven't been more severe. The bummer for me, is that he said I will eventually need both knees replaced. This was bad news to me, because my Uncle had this done about 30 years ago, and he was constantly having problems and having them replaced.

The good thing, is the surgeon assured me that they have made great advances on these things. He claims they eliminate all pain, they are highly functional, and have a very long life span. He said I don't need surgery right away, and he recommends one at a time. He also told me to walk until my knees fall off before I get it done, and he gave me a time frame of 7-10 years before he thinks I should get them done.

My question is, does anyone here know anything about the newer artificial knees that he's hyping up? Are they really as good as he says? Do they really let you walk normal and pain free? He answered all these questions, but I know doctors will usually tell you how wonderful something is even if it's not, so I wanted an opinion from someone with experience.

If you have them, and you've had problems of any kind, I'd appreciate feedback on that too. Oh, and how long is recovery? I have small children that I love playing with, I'd hate to be in bed for 3 months.

Thank you all so much for any insight you can give me on this.

This is a conversation I've had with various doctors and others that have had knee replacements over the years.

The consensus is essentially the same. Knee replacements are much better than they were, but not nearly as good as hip replacements are.

It isn't something that you want to have to repeat if you can help it so go as long as you can on your natural knees (which has the added benefit of giving them time to improve the technology).

The Mayo Clinic web site is my go source for any basic medical information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/knee-replacement/MY00091

My grandfather has 2 artificial knees. His knees were basically bone-on-bone. He has very strong legs and has always been a swimmer, even in his older age. Unfortunately, as his knees got worse, his knees began to buckle and sometimes he would just fall for no reason whatsoever. He went to the doctor and decided to get replacements. They did one knee at a time. He is night and day better now. Even gave him some zip in his step! He is far more active now as well. Flights of stairs are no problem now.

The only thing I know about the artificial knees is that they only last about 15 yrs which for him might be the rest of his life.

This is a conversation I've had with various doctors and others that have had knee replacements over the years.

The consensus is essentially the same. Knee replacements are much better than they were, but not nearly as good as hip replacements are.

It isn't something that you want to have to repeat if you can help it so go as long as you can on your natural knees (which has the added benefit of giving them time to improve the technology).

The Mayo Clinic web site is my go source for any basic medical information:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/knee-replacement/MY00091

Thanks for the link, I use Mayo for everything too. It beats WebMD and all the quack sites like it by miles.

So I guess when he told me to walk till my knees fell off, it really was good advice? Good to know, because although the pain can be a bit much sometimes, it beats surgery in my book.

---------- Post added March-18th-2011 at 09:27 AM ----------

My grandfather has 2 artificial knees. His knees were basically bone-on-bone. He has very strong legs and has always been a swimmer, even in his older age. Unfortunately, as his knees got worse, his knees began to buckle and sometimes he would just fall for no reason whatsoever. He went to the doctor and decided to get replacements. They did one knee at a time. He is night and day better now. Even gave him some zip in his step! He is far more active now as well. Flights of stairs are no problem now.

The only thing I know about the artificial knees is that they only last about 15 yrs which for him might be the rest of his life.

Thanks for the input. I heard they have about a 15-20 year life span from a lot of people, so hopefully that increases between now and when I have to get them. Mine are bone on bone too, stairs are completely impossible. Mine have gotten so bad, that a few times recently, I had a knee buckle stepping off a curb. I also had something weird happen yesterday that I'm convinced is related. I went to sit down at my computer, and I got this really intense pain in my hip/groin area. It only lasted a few seconds, but man it was intense. After a few minutes, my knee on the same side started to hurt immensely on one side, so I'm thinking something with my knee may have actually caused the pain I got in my hip, but I'm not totally certain.

The other thing I'd add here is there are various medical trials going related to at least mantaining cartlidge and potentially regrowing it. I don't know if anybody would take somebody in your state (clinical trials tend to focus on people that have the issue and are bad enough that they'd feel improvement, but not too bad), there are any such studies near you, or you'd be willing to be a human guinea pig:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=cartilage+knee&recr=Open

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/search

Plus, there's always the chance you will only be given a placebo.

---------- Post added March-18th-2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

Thanks for the link, I use Mayo for everything too. It beats WebMD and all the quack sites like it by miles.

So I guess when he told me to walk till my knees fell off, it really was good advice? Good to know, because although the pain can be a bit much sometimes, it beats surgery in my book.

I'm waiting and have known this eventually will be an issue for a while now, but it sounds like your knees are much worse than mine, and you are younger than me.

I don't know what doctor you went to, but it seems likely to me that it would be worth your while figuring out who is cutting edge in terms of knee issues and going and talking to them even it means making a day or two trip or something.

The other thing I'd add here is there are various medical trials going related to at least mantaining cartlidge and potentially regrowing it. I don't know if anybody would take somebody in your state (clinical trials tend to focus on people that have the issue and are bad enough that they'd feel improvement, but not too bad), there are any such studies near you, or you'd be willing to be a human guinea pig:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=cartilage+knee&recr=Open

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/search

Plus, there's always the chance you will only be given a placebo.

---------- Post added March-18th-2011 at 09:50 AM ----------

I'm waiting and have known this eventually will be an issue for a while now, but it sounds like your knees are much worse than mine, and you are younger than me.

I don't know what doctor you went to, but it seems likely to me that it would be worth your while figuring out who is cutting edge in terms of knee issues and going and talking to them even it means making a day or two trip or something.

You know, I knew they did these trials, I just never thought to check them out for knee problems. They actually do have quite a few within a few hours of me, so it's definitely going to be something I look into. I have no problems being a guinea pig, because if there is anything that will help me delay the surgery, I'm all for it.

Thank you so much for the information, it really is a big help, especially since my Orthopedist failed to mention anything about any of the trials (big shock, I know :pfft:)

I have absolutely nothing to do today, so I will definitely be spending some time going through all the information you've given me.

Thanks for the input. I heard they have about a 15-20 year life span from a lot of people, so hopefully that increases between now and when I have to get them. Mine are bone on bone too, stairs are completely impossible. Mine have gotten so bad, that a few times recently, I had a knee buckle stepping off a curb. I also had something weird happen yesterday that I'm convinced is related. I went to sit down at my computer, and I got this really intense pain in my hip/groin area. It only lasted a few seconds, but man it was intense. After a few minutes, my knee on the same side started to hurt immensely on one side, so I'm thinking something with my knee may have actually caused the pain I got in my hip, but I'm not totally certain.

Are you really age 33?

(I only ask b/c of what I'm about to write)

I have a few friends in their 40's with knee issues and doctors have told them they won't do the knee replacement surgery until they get to a certain condition OR a certain age due to the short timeframe they're good for. The knees obviously last longer the less active you are. Younger people are too active and sometimes compromise the integrity of the artificial knee.

has any doctor spoken to you about that?

Got a new knee 3 years ago. Best thing I ever did for myself. Pain free for the first time in 38 years. I walk fine, play golf, and walk from the parking lot to Redskin games. Recovery depends on the individual. Mine was four months (had some complications), but others are only 3 to 4 of weeks. Good luck!

Archived