Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Twitter and the NFL lockout

SkinsHokieFan

The NFL current NFL lockout will be potentially far different from any work stoppage in modern sports history.

And that is because of the use of twitter and the fact that fans have direct access to not only players, but also to management.

Generally players/management in the past have been isolated from fans when their sports shutdown. The baseball players, if they wanted to, certainly avoided fan interaction in 1994. In the 80s, the NFL players weren't around to see how upset fans were. Same with the 1999 NBA lockout and the 2004 NHL lockout.

I am seeing something different the last week. Fans are directly going after players/Roger Goddell's twitter accounts and really getting into it with them. The players, and alums (such as Brian Mitchell) are responding directly. D-Smith and George Attalah are responding to fans and reading tweets from friends.

I have no idea what any of this means. I don't know if the players will feel more pressure from the fans, or if the owners will feel more pressure.

But it is interesting that both sides actually do hear the voice of the fans now.

The NFL current NFL lockout will be potentially far different from any work stoppage in modern sports history.

And that is because of the use of twitter and the fact that fans have direct access to not only players, but also to management.

Generally players/management in the past have been isolated from fans when their sports shutdown. The baseball players, if they wanted to, certainly avoided fan interaction in 1994. In the 80s, the NFL players weren't around to see how upset fans were. Same with the 1999 NBA lockout and the 2004 NHL lockout.

I am seeing something different the last week. Fans are directly going after players/Roger Goddell's twitter accounts and really getting into it with them. The players, and alums (such as Brian Mitchell) are responding directly. D-Smith and George Attalah are responding to fans and reading tweets from friends.

I have no idea what any of this means. I don't know if the players will feel more pressure from the fans, or if the owners will feel more pressure.

But it is interesting that both sides actually do hear the voice of the fans now.

They hear them, but I'd lay odds that they won't do anything ABOUT them...

The times they are a changin'.

Its been interesting to watch to say the least. Our FO hasn't said a peep whereas if Vinny were still here there's no telling what would be going on. On the other hand I've watched a member of the Skins defense get tired of fams that don't know what they're talking about & issue a statement that he's blocking them. And then there was Ocho who dropped an F Bomb on twitter just because he could do it without getting into trouble. :ols:

The owners don't care about the fans. The haves usually don't care about the have-nots.

They figure they can lock the players out, make their money and when it's over the fans will come running back like nothing ever happened.

But I do think it's good that the fans have direct access and can speak their mind

The owners don't care about the fans. The haves usually don't care about the have-nots.

They figure they can lock the players out, make their money and when it's over the fans will come running back like nothing ever happened.

But I do think it's good that the fans have direct access and can speak their mind

Who are you calling a have-not?

Archived