Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why aren't more Middle Linebackers head coaches?

Burgold

MLB tend not to make good head coaches, IMO, because they sometimes don't understand the subtlety of not being able to treat every player the same. Although it's probably cliche by now in the discussion, Singletary's a great example. Most MLB are such fireballers that only certain players can play for them. A good head coach has to have the ability to coach a variety of different personalities because there are so many men on a team, and each of them isn't going to react to your specific brand of discipline in the exact same way. Example: the year Singletary was the interim HC at the end of the season (I believe it was '08), he tore Vernon Davis a new one on the sidelines and sent him off to the showers. Davis has since become a team captain and one of the best TE's in the league. But he tried the exact same approach with three different quarterbacks - Alex Smith, Troy Smith, and Nate Davis - and really destroyed what was left of their confidence because you just can't do quarterbacks like that.

The other thing is, offenses morph over time. A guy that excelled as a defender in the 80s or so doesn't always know how to work an offense in 2010-2011. Usually, he'll be fine in that regard if you pair him with an effective offensive co-ordinator, but if you notice, Singletary never had one of those. The head coach, like a quarterback in some regards, is often only as good as the guys that are around him. IMO, Tom Coughlin for New York is a very overrated head coach, but he's always had good coordinators on his staff, and that's why his teams have a level of success.

The one guy I think that has at least had some degree of success as a HC coming from being a pro MLB is Jack Del Rio...but personally, I think that's because the Jacksonville FO is too scared of losing their team to LA to take a chance on anyone else. Conversely, the pro players that tend to have the most success as coaches are backup QBs, linemen, and defensive backs. Not quite sure why that is.

Didn't work out so well for good ole Mike Singletary. I wonder what London Fletcher's future holds? Good candidate to move up through the coaching ranks in my opinion.

Dont worry about MS, he'll be OK. Wasnt Hasslet a LBer??? Hasnt worked out for Jim..............That being said, I REALLY like Kevin Greene (GB LB coach). Give him a couple years and he'll be the next big ticket.

Archived