Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Computer people, please help, I think I killed my macbook

Chicken Fried

I have a macbook pro. I was closing the screen shut while it was on a coffee table. It ended up falling about 2 feet, and the front edge below the track pad hit squarely on the floor.

I opened it up, and now most of the whites have turned into purple pinstripes, edges are vibrating a little, and I have neon green lines running through a lot of the screen. Does anyone know what this could be? It's pretty urgent because I can't afford to have the computer die all of a sudden.

Thanks a lot.

If everything else seems to be responding ok, then you probably just killed the screen. Assuming everything is working properly make sure everything you have is backed up and either get a new one or take it to the apple store and have them replace the screen.

You can use your tv as a monitor with the s-video, dvi-out, or the hd out assuming your tv has input ports for any of those. Back your stuff up first though.

I know it's my fault, but this is the most fragile thing I've ever owned. I've had a bad week with dropping things. This computer slid off a chair 2 days ago, and dented the side so bad I can't even plug an ethernet cable in.

It happens, that's why they improved their power cord connections so that they are magnetic and disconnect easier.

The hard drives are built with an inertia sensor now so that when they are falling the hd locks to minimize damage. That is why I said if everything else besides the screen is working you should back up your info and take it to be repaired or to replace it. I believe they can replace the screen on your laptop, but it isn't cheap and getting another might be a better option. Laptops aren't meant to be dropped of course, but there is some engineering in them to account for them being dropped.

I have a macbook pro. I was closing the screen shut while it was on a coffee table. It ended up falling about 2 feet, and the front edge below the track pad hit squarely on the floor.

I opened it up, and now most of the whites have turned into purple pinstripes, edges are vibrating a little, and I have neon green lines running through a lot of the screen. Does anyone know what this could be? It's pretty urgent because I can't afford to have the computer die all of a sudden.

Thanks a lot.

Check your PM sir.

This is OT since I think you have your answer until you do further diagnostics on the thing. But I've owned two Apple MacBooks. One died through liquid damage (spilled soda, I don't think it was me) and another the logic board just quit one day. It was cost prohibitive to get either fixed.

Some other quick troubleshooting steps you could try...

1. Take a screenshot of the entire screen (CMD+Shift+4) when the crosshair appears, press the spacebar button and move it over the desktop. When the desktop turns a blueish color, press the mouse. The screenshot will open to your desktop. Open the file. Move the picture around the screen. If the lines are showing up in the picture in the same spots, the gfx card has a problem. If the lines stay in the same spot on the display when you move the picture, it is the display or display cable.

2. Hook it up to another monitor and see if the lines show up there too. If they do, it is the graphics card on the logic board.

3. I highly doubt it is a software glitch, but you can reset the PRAM too. Shut down the computer. Turn it back on and right before you hear the chime, press CMD+Option+P+R. Hold it until the machine shuts down and chimes again and then you can let go.

Archived