Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Gran Turismo 5 Thread

DCsportsfan53

Anyone else here playing this game? Can't stop playing it since it came out. As with all games in the GT series they make you do quite a lot of grinding for cash and cars which can get old but is worth it once you break through and are able to afford the better cars. Overall, I think this game has been worth the wait. The driving experience itself is incredible (particularly with my G27 steering wheel and homemade playseat :) ) and that's what the game is about and why it was made (for all those Forza fans ****ing that they can't put stickers on their GT5 cars :P ). I was a little dissapointed with some of the cars at first but honestly it's not an issue. Yeah it's missing a few cars from the last couple years but there's still so many cars in the game and so much to do.

Just starting to get into the online racing and it's been fun. It's pretty well put together and seems to be pretty much glitch free. Post up your gamertags if you want to organize some ES races and use this thread for general discussion and reviews of the game, set up car trades, ect. I've been running a 500hp at Nurburgring room lately with a lot of good particiaption. I'm dcsportsfan53 on there, too, if you want to look me up. What do you all think of this game so far?

I like Need for Speed Hot Pursuit better myself. Just not a big fan of the racing sims.

Fair enough. There's plenty of arcade racing games out there, being a car guy I love the sim racing games and this is the best racing game I've ever played. It's not a game you hop on for 5 minutes and just go to town with, though. It takes a long time and a lot of racing to work through the game and get good at it.

I hear ya. I'm not hating on GT5, I've played it and it's great. Just depends on what type of racing game you prefer.

I hear you, this one's definitely a bigger time investment to get good than something like NFS.

I've played a little of it so far. I like it alot though. I've been waiting for this game for a long time.

It takes awhile to get to the better parts of the game (and more importantly, the higher dollar reward races) but it's worth it. In the meantime, you can earn credits and experience from racing online and it's a great way to practice and get better without having to buy a different car for each new race. Online you can use all the cars available in Arcade mode so it makes it easier to have fun and move along in the game without having to invest all the time buying cars, upgrading them and racing the same races over and over against the computer.

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 12:19 PM ----------

cool video I just found from jalopnik showing comparison between in game track and real life track. Another couple videos down in the comments.

http://kotaku.com/5730573/real-life-barely-looks-better-than-gran-turismo-5

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mi_xKz3WLw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Mi_xKz3WLw&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Another cool video, same car, same driver, same track.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=newX-mvGlm8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=newX-mvGlm8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Traditionally not a big gamer, but we got a PS3 this Christmas for the family and are looking for good kid friendly games (I have 4 little ones). Is this game child friendly in terms of violence?

I assume its just fancy car racing, and not killing and such.

No violence at all in this game, completely kid friendly.

No violence at all in this game, completely kid friendly.

Sweet, thanks for the info. My 9 year old is quickly moving past the child like games and wanting something more advanced. Its hard to find something that challenges him, but doesn't also have an inappropriate level of violence. Sounds like this will be a good one.

---------- Post added January-11th-2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

This website will help you.

Awesome, thanks! If figured resources were out there, but you know the drill - lazy.

I've been waiting for this since the Prologue came out back in Spring '08. I like everything except the scaled back car customization, the "leveling up" in order to purchase new cars, and the stupid Nascar series. I absolutely do not get it, and I'm great at drafting in the slip streams, and slingshotting past other cars. The problem is that outside of Daytona/Indy, all the other tracks are insanely difficult, and I constantly have problems with the wheels spinning after deceleration.

I also don't like the long loading times, and the fact that they excluded a few tracks from this one ( Hong Kong, Seattle Circuit, New York, The cobblestone track in Italy, Paris, and others, along with the Las Vegas Raceway in test mode ). I haven't seen everything, since I've only done the race events in GT Mode, but so far I think it's a great game, with some flaws.

I'm currently at 34% completion, and I have 4M credits

Oh, and my PSN handle is hotsaus26 ( Every other possible idea was taken :ols:)

Pretty good assessment, Mr Sinister. They've certainly some things you wish that hadn't left off, but to me GT has always been about the driving experience and this one, as usual, blows all the competition out of the water. That's enough for me.

Yeah, part of it has to do with the constant delays, which inevitably caused unrealistic expectations. I miss the NOS though, I absolutely annihalated with it on straightaways. The driverseat camera angle is badass also, especially when you're on the Nascar circuit.

Edit I forgot to ask, does anyone ( who's ahead of me ) know if the Escudo is in this game? That's probably my most favorite car, outside of the Amuse Honda 2000, going all the way back to GT2.

Yeah, Escudo is in there, you have to race against it in the "like the wind" race in the expert series. What it pretty much looks like is every car that was in GT4 was imported to this game (and make up the majority of the standard cars) and then they put the time in to develop the 200 or so premium cars. As far as I can tell, everything car that was in GT4 is in this game, too. I think there are a couple new standard cars, too, but for the most part the premium cars are the new to this series cars.

Archived