Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official and Unofficial Retiring numbers

@DCGoldPants

Any position. Sean Taylor had a ton of potential. He is oversold on this site by the young people who have never had anything to cheer for from this franchise.

He played one full season for us. 1.

He had a ton of potential in a time frame where the Skins suck.

Meanwhile there are no less than 20, 30??? Redskins more deserving of having their jersey retired over him...and that number may be low.

But it's an unpopular opinion. Sad but true.

I don't think it should be retired, but for the impact he had, I agree with them keeping it out of circulation for 5 years, then putting it back it. Personally I wouldn't like to see a DB take it, nor do I think one will, but seeing a RB have it I wouldn't be upset.

I don't think it should be retired, but for the impact he had, I agree with them keeping it out of circulation for 5 years, then putting it back it. Personally I wouldn't like to see a DB take it, nor do I think one will, but seeing a RB have it I wouldn't be upset.

I would be happy with 5 years, and his special display on the ring at FedEx.

I would be happy with 5 years, and his special display on the ring at FedEx.

Aside from 33 being retired, I think that any number should be open to being worn. If it's for multiple positions, maybe not at the originator's position (21/28 for a DB, 44 for a RB), but definitely at the "other" position that can wear that number.

Any position. Sean Taylor had a ton of potential. He is oversold on this site by the young people who have never had anything to cheer for from this franchise.

He played one full season for us. 1.

He had a ton of potential in a time frame where the Skins suck.

Meanwhile there are no less than 20, 30??? Redskins more deserving of having their jersey retired over him...and that number may be low.

But it's an unpopular opinion. Sad but true.

I think there's a lot to be said for honoring a man's life. A man that had become the face of the franchise and is tragically cut down in the prime of his life.

Oversold? Possibly. There are people who would like to believe he could play 1 on 11 and still win a game or that he was going to be the best defensive player of all time.

Who knows? If he'd kept up that play he'd likely be one of the greatest Redskins of all time but there's always injuries, trades, free agency...no one can be sure.

I think its much more important to honor a man's life than to honor a person for playing a sport. Even if we're talking about a sport.

This coming from a guy who's handle is "DarrellsMyHero"

I keed, I keed.

:ols:

I don't want to see anyone in #28 either but I do see how you have the issue of defining who is good enough to earn the honor of having their number be totally off limits.

Its not like a situation with some teams where they really have one guy who defines the face of a franchise over time.

What's the #1 player people think of when someone talks about the Redskins? People don't remember Baugh even though he may be the best all around NFL player of all time. DG will never get enough credit because Deion is always spouting his bull**** all over the media and he was a flashier player. The list goes on.

I think of a franchise like Miami and immediately I think of Marino. The Jets have Joe Namath, the Browns would be Jim Brown etc.

Skins? Who knows. We're just that awesome :)

I think there's a lot to be said for honoring a man's life. A man that had become the face of the franchise and is tragically cut down in the prime of his life.

Oversold? Possibly. There are people who would like to believe he could play 1 on 11 and still win a game or that he was going to be the best defensive player of all time.

Who knows? If he'd kept up that play he'd likely be one of the greatest Redskins of all time but there's always injuries, trades, free agency...no one can be sure.

I think its much more important to honor a man's life than to honor a person for playing a sport. Even if we're talking about a sport.

Yeah and there is a man who gave much more to the franchise than Sean Taylor who's life was cut short. He isn't on the list of retired jerseys. But you don't know about him because he isn't in your age bracket.

So yeah I agree. Lets honor the dead, but lets know who they are and what they contributed to the franchise. Sean Taylor isn't number 1.

Thanks.

Yeah and there is a man who gave much more to the franchise than Sean Taylor who's life was cut short. He isn't on the list of retired jerseys. But you don't know about him because he isn't in your age bracket.

So yeah I agree. Lets honor the dead, but lets know who they are and what they contributed to the franchise. Sean Taylor isn't number 1.

Thanks.

If you're going to be short with me you could at least mention who you're talking about?

Exactly.

And Sean Taylor will never match up to what Jerry Smith contributed to the franchise because he was GAY. And died of AIDS.

But play on player ;)

It seems like you're under the impression that I'm disagreeing with you...even though I wasn't sure what you were talking about.

Not sure what your angle is here player.

It seems like you're under the impression that I'm disagreeing with you...even though I wasn't sure what you were talking about.

Not sure what your angle is here player.

Just saying.

Taylor with regards to Redskins history is a long ways of deserving from being retired jersey wise. He had a lot of promise, nothing else.

Just saying.

Taylor with regards to Redskins history is a long ways of deserving from being retired jersey wise. He had a lot of promise, nothing else.

And I'm disagreeing with you on that.

Not saying that Jerry Smith is/isn't deserving but Sean's death was a much different story and he died at a much younger age while he was still on the roster.

Maybe that's not 'retired jersey worthy' and maybe its just Ring of Fame worthy or just worthy of having his locker preserved or whatever but I personally don't have a problem with his number not being used.

And I'm disagreeing with you on that.

Not saying that Jerry Smith is/isn't deserving but Sean's death was a much different story and he died at a much younger age while he was still on the roster.

Maybe that's not 'retired jersey worthy' and maybe its just Ring of Fame worthy or just worthy of having his locker preserved or whatever but I personally don't have a problem with his number not being used.

And people need to realize that "not being used" is different from "retired"

A lot of players coming into the NFL now were watching Sean Taylor at the U and with the Skins. They realized how good a player he was and was going to be, and don't want that comparison. Give it a couple more years, and the rookies won't have watched Taylor in action, and 21 will go back into rotation.

This is why I would suggest making numbers like Sean's available after a certain amount of time, and on the other side of the ball. A RB wearing 21 again after the 5th Anniv would be fine.

A tightend wearing 44 to me would be ok....or 81.

The first move would be doing something that Mr. Snyder suggested by creating some sort of Skins museum. There have HUGE versions of the jerseys with the name and number of those players. Like a mini HOF.

Do that and then slowly allow those numbers go back into rotation.

I remember an old Futurama where they had to wear fractions because all the numbers had been retired. Made me laugh.

206105.jpg

I agree with the 5-year window on ST's number. His was a terrible ending to what could have been a fantastic, possibly Hall of Fame worthy, career. Him having so much upside and having a good season up to that point, plus being on the active roster and in-season (not being retired or having moved on to another team), made it hard not to want to remember and honor him after he passed.

But, when you're talking about the things he did on the field, or his passing, or anything else relating to him, you probably aren't referring to him as "number 21", right?

I'd take it a step further and give the same 5-year window to any player deemed worthy of such an honor.

Instead of "unofficially retiring" a number, just make it officially unavailable for 5 years.

I'd take every number that is currently off limits (aside from the #33, of course), and start a 5-year window next season for all of them. Promote the heck out of the history and accomplishments of the players involved. Honor them in every possible way. Then, after the 5 years pass, put them back in circulation.

Maybe after that, make them only available to high round picks until they are all being used again at some point.

Just an idea.

I completely and whole heartedly disagree.

When the Redskins gave a rookie that had no chance of making the squad Bobby Mitchell's jersey a few years ago it turned my stomach.

To see anybody on the field in a Burgundy and Gold # 81 today would be total blasphemy.

AGREED!!! 81 is, was, and forever will be Art Monk

Archived