Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Win/Loss Record: Is it Really the Best Indicator of Progress or Regression?

KDawg

Two things reasons you can't go strictly off W-L record. A team might be rebuilding with youth. A team might have brought in new coaches.

Not trying to make excuses for this team. We've only done one of the above.

Other than that, yeah you can judge by W-L record. [Herm Edwards/] You play to win the game! [/Herm Edwards]

Here's some other interesting information that can support your position (and is counter to my intuition): when you look at the game-by-game point differential for 2009 and 2010, both show downward trends, but the downward slope of 2010 is steeper than that of 2009. This would tell me that we've regressed during both seasons, but at a more rapid pace this year than last. I also tried "flattening" the data a bit to mitigate for blow-outs (I put a 14-point cap on over or under, which is arbitrary, but represents the magical "two scores" number) and it made very little difference to 2010, but actually improved 2009 a bit.
The steep slope in 2010 can be plausibly explained by the turnover difference -- high early in the season, but reversing lately. I have read that the turnover differential shows no consistency. If a team is relying on it to continue winning, they're likely to be disappointed.

I've also read that blowout wins are a reliable sign of a superior team. If that's true in reverse, our two blowout losses might be a signal of real weakness.

I've also read that blowout wins are a reliable sign of a superior team. If that's true in reverse, our two blowout losses might be a signal of real weakness.

When I did the adjustments to bring differentials down to 14 max, it was pretty much the same for both years. I think (too bad I didn't save the work) that there was one favorable blowout for us and two against in both seasons.

Archived