Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HDTV....I need some advice!

Hitnskins

I'm am about ready to step out and finally purchase a Widescreen HDTV.

I was wondering if any of you could give me any advice on what brands have the best reputations......Sony, Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Phillips, etc........

What all do I need to purchase along with it.....like what extra cables do I really need.

I just recently had Directv installed in my house......do I still need to get a HDTV converter box to view channels in Digh Def, or will the Satelite box I have do it for me?

If I do need to purchase a converter box, what should I expect to pay, and what type would you suggest I get.

I appreciate all the help and insight that you guys can give me......I just don't want to be taken advantage of when I go to Circuit City or Best Buy or wherever I decide to go.

Thanks again!

You can't go wrong with Toshiba or Mitsubishi.

Will you need a converter box? Not if the t.v. you purchase has an HDTV decoder built it. That said, it would be my advice not to buy a t.v. with an integrated HDTV decoder? Why? Because the decoder technology is rapidly advancing and it makes it harder to upgrade to newer technology if your HDTV decoder is builit-in to your t.v.

What extra cables do you need? Depends. Most newer HDTV-ready t.v.s now have an interface called DVI. This is an upgrade over component interfaces. So, at the very least you'll need a DVI cable. You'll also need either an optical or a digital coaxial cable for dolby digital sound(depending on your t.v. , a/v receiver, and HDTV satellite connects.)

Chances are the satellite box you got on the DirecTV install was NOT an HDTV decoder box. Hopefully they did however install the triple-lnb oval dish. If not, call up DirecTv customer support and tell them you want an oval dish installed. They might try to charge you $50 but I'd push back and tell them your neighbor got it installed for free by committing to a Total Choice package for a year.

IMHO, the best HDTV DirecTV decoder box on the market is the Zenith HD-Sat520, followed closely by the Sony Sony SATHD300. I just purchased the Zenith online for $540 including shipping. What's great about the Sat520 is that you have seemless integration between local channels and satellite channels; meaning I can channel surf between DirecTv signals and OTA (over the air) signals without changing any settings. I installed an antenna in my attic to pick up local HDTV channels and dropped local channel offerings from DirecTv. The HDTV package from DirecTv runs an extra $10 per month. But since I dropped local channels ($6 per month) the net cost is $4 per month. With an antenna in my attic (Turk TV35) I am able to pick up all the local VHF as well as all of the local digital stations).

If I haven't covered it all feel free to ask more questions.

Sony tv's, while once industry leaders, are now overpriced and offer marginal quality and technology. For equivalent money you're far better off with Toshiba or Mitsubishi.

Let me get this straight, you got an HDTV DirecTv Satellite dish as part of a basic install package? Or did you buy the box on your own?

I ordered the directv satelilte through a special, and let them know that it had to be the type of dish that broadcasted in HDTV......I got the football package too.....plus had it hooked up in 3 different rooms.

I just got back from Circuit City, and the guy down there was trying to sell me on a Hitachi......he said that the Sony's weren't that good.....when I asked him about the Toshiba and the Mitsubishi, he told me that they couldn' tcaompare with the Hitachi either.....do you guys agree????? Because BEst Buy has a good deal on both Toshiba and Mitsubishi?

I really can't tell you how much I appreciate the help and insight.

First rule, NEVER listen to the sales people. While a knowledgeable one may be found working in an electronics store, they are few and far between. In addition, they are often directed by management to steer customers in a particular direction and towards a particular brand.

That said, I don't think you can say with certainty that a particular brand will always be better than another across the board.

Figure out what you want. You've already started by stating that you want an HDTV ready tv. That's good. Be careful though, some digital tvs are only EDTV (enhanced definition which is only good for displaying 480p and below). Decide if you want a DVI interface or will component suffice? Also, what size screen are you looking for? Does sound matter to you all that much or do you have your own speakers and an a/v receiver?

Narrow the specs and perhaps I can help you better.

TRUST me, I never listen to sales people, which is why I appreciate the help I can get from you guys soo much.

I am looking for something in the 51"-55" size range....High Def.....to be honest, I don't know the difference between DVI interface, and componet.

I do want a good sounding tv, but I already have my own surround sound system right now.....it's no the best, but I'm not super worried about that right now either......that's something I feel like I can as add as I go.

The advantage to the DVI interface will be most notable if you currently own, or plan to own a DVD player with a DVI interface. I've read that the picture from a DVD is markedly improved via a DVI interface. I bought my Toshiba some 2 years ago so I don't have the personal pleasure of experiencing the difference.

If money isn't a big issue, definitely go with the DVI interface. Most newer sets have this so the only way you won't get it is if you decide to go with an older model on sale.

One website I visit frequently is www.avsforum.com. While there are many opinions on the best RPTV (CRT) the consensus appears to lean towards Hitachi and Mitsubishi.

It would help if you kind of narrowed down your choices to the models you're looking at. Select three or four different sets, write down their model numbers (or go to the manufacturers websites and get the model numbers) and then post them here. I'll take a look at the technology and the features and then give you my humble opinion.

Mistubishi 55" Hi-Def 1080l (WS-55313) 5450585

Toshiba 57" Hi-Def 1080l (57h83) 5341784

Sony 51" Hi-Def 1080l (KP51WS510)

Phillips 55" Hi-Def 1080l (66pw9363) 5421411

I can't think you guys enough, for all of your unbiased, honest opinions, and research.

Thanks Again.......Lewis

I would drop the Phillips and Sony from the list but that is just my opinion. Again the Tosh, Mits and Hitachi are on top of the heap now .

I wanted to throw in my 2 cents about the DVI connection. It is noteworthy that Directv has made it manditory that the DVI connection be on all new HD set top boxes produced for them.

Since DVI is becoming pretty standard for most sets this shouldn't be a problem.

Originally posted by TheKurp

Sony tv's, while once industry leaders, are now overpriced and offer marginal quality and technology. For equivalent money you're far better off with Toshiba or Mitsubishi.

Let me get this straight, you got an HDTV DirecTv Satellite dish as part of a basic install package? Or did you buy the box on your own?

Im going to disagree with you. I have a Sony Grand Wega 60" LCD. If you think this is an over-priced and has marginal quality then you really havent looked at one. I think that the Grand Wega has byfar the best picture of any TV out there. Sounds to me that somewhere in history you had a bad experience with Sony. I love the TV. As for as the DVI, check to see if the HDTV receiver for your Sat dish has 1 included in the box, mine did. There are many HDTV reveivers out there. What all are you going to use the sat dish for? I only use mine for NFL Ticket. My cable company offers HDTV and the receiver is only 7 bucks a month. Which is the same price as a regular cable box. You are going to need a GOOD surg protector. Monster makes a couple of good ones. My best sugestion to you Dol, is go to a store that deals in noting but audio/video. DON"T do your shopping at Best Buy. The people in a real audio/video store have been doing that for years. they know what they are talking about, the guy in Best Buy that's telling you which way to go, well, his next job will be at Burger King or someting like that.

My best advice to you is to take your time. Look at the room your going to put it in. How big is it? Are you going to be in that house your in forever? Will you be moving soon? You don't want to get a TV that is too small for the room or too big for the room. And don't go by what other people say. If the picture looks good to you, then that's all that matters.

Skin,

You certainly are entitled to disagree with me.

There are a couple of things that stand out in your post though.

One: Monster is generally regarded by audiophiles as overpriced highly marketed equipment that is no better than products at half the price.

Two: The advice that one buys whatever t.v. looks good to them. The trouble with that is that most tvs are displayed in the showroom with the contrast and brightness set to their maximum settings. This is a showroom display technique that is deceptive at best. Also a reason why one should never buy a showroom model. Setting the brightness to maximum level takes years off of the CRTs. In fact if you really want to get an accurate view of a tvs ability to produce a true image it should be ISF calibrated; something that is unlikely done by retail outlets. There is a product called Video Essentials on the market that will allow a home user to calibrate their RPTVs once it's been set up in the home. A tvs ability to produce an accurate grayscale will define it's picture quality.

This said, it's almost impossible to judge a televisions ability to produce accurate images by simply looking at it in the showroom. It all depends on the calibration settings for contract, tint, brightness, and convergence.

So what's a consumer to do? Read. Read reviews that are hopefully unbiased. Read reviews from people who've actually purchased the set you're interested in and discover what their experience has been. Read reviews from professional publications. Then realize that the picture will need work once you set the t.v. up in your home and have about 100 hours of viewing on it. I have yet to walk in someone's home and see a picture that didn't need calibrating on a RPTV.

As for Sonys? Nothing I say will dissuade you since you've already made your purchase. FWIW, I've never owned a Sony. However I've seen quite a few on display and when matching up their price with the technology, well, let's just say that I've found better tv.s for the same or better price.

[edit]

Found this on audioreview.com about the Sony model 51HW40. It's indicative of a number of Sony model reviews. http://www.audioreview.com/HDTV-Digital,TVs/Sony,KP,51HW40/PRD_126537_2727crx.aspx

Originally posted by Dolemite

Mistubishi 55" Hi-Def 1080l (WS-55313) 5450585

Toshiba 57" Hi-Def 1080l (57h83) 5341784

Sony 51" Hi-Def 1080l (KP51WS510)

Phillips 55" Hi-Def 1080l (66pw9363) 5421411

I can't think you guys enough, for all of your unbiased, honest opinions, and research.

Thanks Again.......Lewis

I don't know Dolemite, it appears to be a toss-up between the Mitsubishi and the Toshiba. They both offer DVI, which is good, but neither of them handle 720p natively. FWIW, my Toshiba doesn't either. However if I were going to buy a set today one of my criteria would be handling of 720p natively. ABC and ESPN broadcast in 720p. This doesn't mean you won't get to see a HDTV picture. It just means that the native 720p signal will get upconverted to a 1080i format. I'm not sure one can notice the difference, but I'd like to have the option of viewing a broadcast in it's native format.

My father just bought one the other day (I also helped him pick it out). One thing the guy at the store told us to look for was a black screen. You could actually see the difference in the store, some cheaper quality models actually produce black objects with a blue tint. I was also told the Toshiba (which is what my dad got) actually use better lenses then most other models especially Panasonic. Also Sony was actually using the Panasonic lenses up until this model year....but has since switched. I do believe that consumer reports did a March article on projection HDTV's and may be of some help.

Originally posted by Skin-N-NY

You are pointing to the lower end Sony TV's. I will say again. LOOK at the Grand Wega.

Here are two rather detailed and unbiased views of the set you own.

http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/xPR-Sony_KF_60XBR800~RD-89288052356

http://hardwarecentral.dealtime.com/xPR-Sony_KF_60XBR800~RD-97061342852

While I have no doubt that you and many others are very happy with this tv, there are enough issues to make me wary of owning one.

I think my next purchase will be along the lines of the LCOS technology.

Skin, I am sure you love your Sony and I have seen them in stores and they look fantastic however, the cost separates it from most of the projection sets we are talking about.

Also, the hitachi will do 720P since someone mentioned that ABC and ESPNHD broadcast that format.

You know what Dolemite, don't get too hung up on 720p. I've been doing some research and I don't think anyone is really doing 720p natively in the size range you're looking for.

If you can, when in the showroom have the salesman display a 720p input on the HDTV. Probably alot to ask for so you may just have to do a Google to see if anyone complains about how a 720p looks when upconverted to a 1080i. I can tell you that my Toshiba 40x81 does a good job. But I haven't been able to contrast it against a set that handles 720p natively.

Kurp......what's your take on the Hitachi???????? I have made my mind up, it's down to the Mitsubishi, Toshiba, or Hitachi.......I've got the salesman around here jumping through hoops, and I'm tired of dealing with it.......I'm ready to get a TV in my den........PRONTO!!!!!!!!!!

Archived