Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYT: No Conspiracy to Sign Jets, Spurrier Says

bubba9497

No Conspiracy to Sign Jets, Spurrier Says

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/02/sports/football/02spurrier.html

EMPSTEAD, N.Y., Sept. 1 - Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier dismissed any conspiracy theory today about how his team wound up with four Jets in the off-season.

"They just happened to have free-agent players that we needed," he said in a conference call. "When we did our ratings of all the free agents in the N.F.L., we were looking for a guard, a kicker, return man and a receiver - and all of a sudden there were four Jets players that were either free agents or restricted free agents. After our scouts and coaches watched the tape, we said if we can get John Hall, Laveranues Coles, Randy Thomas and Chad Morton, then let's go and do it.''

Spurrier added, "Dan Snyder recruited them well," referring to the Redskins' owner.

Jets Coach Herman Edwards has not commented on the signings. "Sometimes the better thing said is nothing," he said.

One position Spurrier did not shop for was a starting quarterback. He gave an unqualified vote of confidence today to Patrick Ramsey.

"Last year he was a true rookie," Spurrier said. "Patrick was the fourth quarterback all through preseason. He never got a snap or two.

"We believe that he is much better prepared to play this year than last year. He is our quarterback, no question."

I find it funny that in the New York press, Edwards is portrayed as a seething man, who is holding his tongue lest he say something he regrets. Always with this terse "no comment" baloney.

In the Washington Post, he is quoted today as having said

'..he holds no grudges against the Redskins for signing four of his players .. as free agents in the offseason.

"Heavens no", Edwards said in a conference call with washington area reporters, "I don't hold grudges against people. The Redskins did nothing wrong. They went after good players. We happened to have four of them and they got them. And that's good for them.."

In another article we've read they portray Spurrier as an arrogant **** who promised he'd "take one of them today (players), and he was going to take one of them tomorrow" with NO mention of the Jets official who started that little tiff by publicly calling him out in a restaurant.

It seems to me that the New York press as a whole has handled this entire Jets offseason very unprofessionally, nearly always only displaying one side of the picture, and skewing that side to suit their needs.

How pathetic.

~Bang

Also utterly pathetic is that they would even ask if there was a "conspiracy" to sign these players. Sure, the Redskins hatched a diabolical scheme to damage the Jets by signing their players to large contracts, even though the Jets aren't in their division or even their conference. I wonder what the motivation was? Did Miami, New England and Buffalo get together and send some under-the-table payments to the Skins? Are we doing a favor for our good buddy Norv to help out the Dolphins? I guess Snyder did it just because he's evil by nature :rolleyes: :doh:

Archived