Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is it when people die, they get a pass?

Ryman of the North

I agree and I think this is how it goes for 99 percent of people. Ryman is confusing respect for the mourning process with "getting a pass."

What is the mourning process on a football message board?

When someone like Timothy McVeigh dies, I don't feel bad about saying what a jerk he was.

I'm more curious about how waiting a few days to call the guy an ******* is considered good tact?

To me, Ryman, you're stating the obvious, which is the reason I find it unnecessary (though looking at the posts in response to you, maybe it's not so obvious). To say that a guy who dies from speeding and driving aggressively was being dumb is not saying much.

Ryman of the North

With me agreeing with you, does that mean I'm going to develop a love for snow, museums and curling or you will have a discover a distaste of Soccer as well as a love of American bacon to go with Canadian breakfast ham?? :D

ps finishing a sentence with an "eh?" is always better than finishing with an "over here."

LOL I know eh? I hate soccer, love bacon (real bacon not back bacon) and the next time I curl will be the last.

I dont mid giving someone a few days grace as someone else said its more for the family anyway, but having lost someone very dear to me to a drunk driver and then having watched a close friends struggle after their son died stupidly (rollover after driving drunk) I was sitting and having a beer in my buddies basement when he said " I cant believe Pete did that after seeing what it did to your family" we were sad because Pete was his brother, and like a little brother to me, but angry that he would make such a stupid choice.

some choices dont involve a second chance, and when those choices can kill another human being, it makes you wonder wtf people are thinking. The drunk driving thread on here was a case in point, I was shocked at how many people said " I can handle it" or " dont judge me for driving drunk"

as for judging, get over it, I have done some stupid **** in my life but I have never risked other peoples lives with my stupidity, so I feel quite safe in judging dipsticks who took other peoples lives in their hands with stupidity. people who whine about others judging are either superlative humans or more likely, people who screwed up bigtime and dont like being told that.

You make a CHOICE to go 100 mph or drive hammered. It wasn't a mistake or accident. It's an intentional decision. It's not a split second decision either. There is ample time to think about the consequences and by the age we are talking about you'd think you would've seen enough examples to make you realize it's a bad idea.

Driving drunk I don't have much tolerance for.

Now, onto the next issue. Yes, you make a CHOICE to go 100mph...I've done it more than once....in college because I was an idiot...but it didn't have an terrible consequences, luckily. Thing is, people do dumb **** when they're young (in their teens and early 20's). People feel invincible when they are that age. I think I just got over that delusion about 6 months ago or so. Helll, people do dumb **** even much later in life (hopefully less than when they were younger though...)

People do stupid things ALL THE TIME. You make a conscious decision to not wear a seatbelt. You make a conscious decision to not get annual gyn screening and end up developing cervical cancer (sorry, just had that happen to a patient last week which is why I use that example, and you know what, I didn't berate her, I didn't tell her she should have done this and done that, blah, blah blah, I told her that things happen and gave her my cell number if she wanted to talk). Thing is, people make a conscious decision to do lots of dumb things. Most of the time we don't suffer consequences, fortunately. But when something bad happens, I think people are waaaayyyy overly judgemental

We all do stupid crap. Most of us are lucky to be alive from one stupid thing or another we've done during our lives. I just wish people weren't so judgemental over things...particularly things that lead to death and literally destroy the lives of the family and loved ones left behind. Think of them before you start popping off about others.

Not once did I call him an idiot or a buffoon or a bad person. All I said was that it was a poor decision. By the way, not going to get cervical cancer screening doesn't put others at risk. Big difference between that and driving a vehicle at 100 mph where you might kill someone. What if he had killed someone's grandmother? Would you all be saying the same thing? It's one thing to make a decision that only affects you but if you put others at risk you will face criticism and deserve it. Now, does it make you a "bad" person. No. And I'm not going to do it near their family.

Not once did I call him an idiot or a buffoon or a bad person.

Just because you died doesn't excuse you from being an idiot. It's sad when people die too young but enough with the "we all make mistakes" stuff. A mistake is lying to your parents or stealing a bike because you couldn't afford one or making a dirty play in a soccer game because you were pissed. Drunk driving or speeding at 100 mph is not a "mistake", it is stupidity and sadly, sometimes you learn the very hard way.

All I said was that it was a poor decision. By the way, not going to get cervical cancer screening doesn't put others at risk. Big difference between that and driving a vehicle at 100 mph where you might kill someone. What if he had killed someone's grandmother? Would you all be saying the same thing? It's one thing to make a decision that only affects you but if you put others at risk you will face criticism and deserve it. Now, does it make you a "bad" person. No. And I'm not going to do it near their family.
Well, as you can see from the above quotes, you are incorrect with your recall.

Next, if he had killed someone's grandmother, or my mom, or anyone I would be very upset. Of course. If he wasn't dead, I would want him put in jail for that...just like the person who killed my relative because he was drunk driving.

Speeding like that, on a motorcycle, is a poor decision and I'm very sorry he died. It's a terrible tragedy and thank God no one else was hurt or killed. But it's also unfortunate to see people get on their high horses, particularly young people, talking about stupid decisions that many, many, many people make and live through, fortunately.

And FYI, about cervical cancer screening, you are wrong, again. Cervical cancer is almost always caused by HPV (which is what is being screened for in a pap smear, then biopsies are typically taken...but I won't bore you with ACOG protocol). Anyhow, HPV is an STD. If you test positive for it, it can be transmitted to your partner, which he should know about. While much of the time, males do not suffer health problems if they have HPV (unless they have the strains that cause genital warts, but they would know that without their partner having to clue them in on that). But the high cancer risk HPV typs typically don't cause health problems in men, but literature does show that HPV can cause penile cancer in men (although this is rare). So yes, not getting screening can affect others. On another note, there are women who come into our clinic to get their "annual" exam and STD's they did not even realize they had are detected. So there you have it, that's my PSA for getting routine screening.

Well, as you can see from the above quotes, you are incorrect with your recall.

Next, if he had killed someone's grandmother, or my mom, or anyone I would be very upset. Of course. If he wasn't dead, I would want him put in jail for that...just like the person who killed my relative because he was drunk driving.

Speeding like that, on a motorcycle, is a poor decision and I'm very sorry he died. It's a terrible tragedy and thank God no one else was hurt or killed. But it's also unfortunate to see people get on their high horses, particularly young people, talking about stupid decisions that many, many, many people make and live through, fortunately.

And FYI, about cervical cancer screening, you are wrong, again. Cervical cancer is almost always caused by HPV (which is what is being screened for in a pap smear, then biopsies are typically taken...but I won't bore you with ACOG protocol). Anyhow, HPV is an STD. If you test positive for it, it can be transmitted to your partner, which he should know about. While much of the time, males do not suffer health problems if they have HPV (unless they have the strains that cause genital warts, but they would know that without their partner having to clue them in on that). But the high cancer risk HPV typs typically don't cause health problems in men, but literature does show that HPV can cause penile cancer in men (although this is rare). So yes, not getting screening can affect others. On another note, there are women who come into our clinic to get their "annual" exam and STD's they did not even realize they had are detected. So there you have it, that's my PSA for getting routine screening.

OK, so if you have sex with someone you're putting others at risk. An indirect risk. Driving at 100 mph is putting someone's life directly at risk.

My other statement was in general, not directly attacking anyone but you know what, what we are talking about does make you an idiot, at that point in time. But I stand that I never said it means you are a bad person at heart. And it certainly doesn't mean you deserve to die.

Archived